PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate V6 swap (US galants need this!)

bluediamonds
03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I found this while surfing on e-bay, really makes me jelous of the schmuck that gets this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33615 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958845821&category=33615')

01GalantLSV6
03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
yea um, this has been done, and those motors are on ebay with a fair amount of frequency, but other then that ITS THE ULTIMATE SWAP EVERYBODY LOOK!! WOO!!

SilverDragonGTZ
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
isnt this a respost? :?:

bluediamonds
03-02-2005, 06:28 PM
of course it's been done before, everything's been done before, with the right amount of money you can do anything, I was just showing it so that the person that has that money can find it easily. Don't be a dick

pinoyesv6
03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
all of you guys who say its been done before. blah blah blah. show me proof as to who finished this swap??
the closest i've seen to any1 fnishing was mante. he never fnished because he bumped into a vr-4 and well, why fnish swapping in a motor if you can just have the whole car.

but yea, tell me. who did the swap. i really want to see this.

Kalamidad
03-02-2005, 08:30 PM
i think Mante should have just gone and finished it...it would have been great to see.
That's a good price on that engine.

Jet Black
03-02-2005, 08:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>all of you guys who say its been done before. blah blah blah. show me proof as to who finished this swap??
the closest i've seen to any1 fnishing was mante. he never fnished because he bumped into a vr-4 and well, why fnish swapping in a motor if you can just have the whole car. Â*

but yea, tell me. who did the swap. i really want to see this.</div>

Ya I have NEVER seen a VR4 swap for the V6. In fact I have never seen any real swaps for the V6.

G-spot
03-02-2005, 11:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Ya I have NEVER seen a VR4 swap for the V6. In fact I have never seen any real swaps for the V6.</div>

Man, out of the 400 threads on this topic, who actually did one? I'll be honest, until I get my promotion, I'm not starting any swap till the money flows in. Swaps are good "show and tell" stories, but a person with little money in their pockets claiming to do a swap is a little over their heads. :?

COgalant
03-03-2005, 04:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>all of you guys who say its been done before. blah blah blah. show me proof as to who finished this swap??
the closest i've seen to any1 fnishing was mante. he never fnished because he bumped into a vr-4 and well, why fnish swapping in a motor if you can just have the whole car. Â*

but yea, tell me. who did the swap. i really want to see this.</div>

Game, Set, Match.

SinSere
03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
that really is a good price for that engine if it is complete and not worn out. Shipping would definately bring it up, but would be worth it in the end. Takes a lot of time and money to get into a swap like that. I imagine you would have to change the transmission as well which would add another couple grand to the deal. It would be a good story, but I couldn't imagine the headaches to get all the bugs worked out and that tuned in right. Being original definately has its price.

DryBear
03-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I think the commotion is really from the same friggin engine being relisted on e-bay then reposted here at TGC 11ty billion times.

From what I recall, the problem with that particular engine is that it is missing the ECU, which would be hard to find.

Danger DANJ
03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I think some of you are reading that second post wrong. It's not saying that the swap was done before, but that that engine has been posted before and talked about already.

bglocc
03-03-2005, 08:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>From what I recall, the problem with that particular engine is that it is missing the ECU, which would be hard to find.</div>

Also the FTO tranny is a PITA to find. Your going to have to buy a whole front clip. From Mante's conversion list, it doesn't seem too, too bad of a swap, if you have the time and money.

I apologize if it's a dumb question, I'm not that smart on engines. Can you take the 6a13tt head and mate it with 6g72 block?

Censee
03-03-2005, 09:01 PM
any of u guys know if the fto tranny is the only one that would work with that motor?

Mante
03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Ya I have NEVER seen a VR4 swap for the V6. Â*In fact I have never seen any real swaps for the V6.</div>

The 6a13tt is a direct drop in for the V6 guys, to drop it in the I4 2" spacers need to be welded to the undercarrage.

Yes I did abandon the project, obvious reason https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif If I get my hands on a US V6 I may do the swap once the vr4 is situated.

I did manage to remove the transfer case off the awd trans theoretically making it a fwd trans, it was a bitch almost a .5" steel plate I'll find a pic. Pinoy if you ever want your car to disappear let me knwo https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Unforunately the FTO is the only trans that will bolt to my knowledge and this came from a FTO owner that dropped the 6a13tt into his FTO.

pinoyesv6
03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
you know. im seriously thinking about this. not cuz of the power just because no1 else has done it, that and the fact that you're gonna live down the street from me.

just gotta find me 5-10 grand to buy the parts and cover me for some mishaps that will most likely occur

01GalantLSV6
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>you know. im seriously thinking about this. not cuz of the power just because no1 else has done it, that and the fact that you're gonna live down the street from me. Â*

just gotta find me 5-10 grand to buy the parts and cover me for some mishaps that will most likely occur</div>

it would be great if you did, and i totally understand the originality motivation, but think about this...

what will be faster? your stock vr4 swapped galant, or the galant you have now with 5-10 grand put into your v6? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif single t66 turbo with full engine rebuild and your talking serious power and in the same price range.

pinoyesv6
03-03-2005, 10:56 PM
well the motor in my galant is on its way out the door. i mean it runs perfectly fine but one of the mounts on the block is cracked so if i wanted to rebuild or whatever i'd rather yank the motor and and drop something that isn't cracked.

anyways for 5-10 grand, who said i'd drop in a stock motor in there lol.

Fishboy55
03-04-2005, 06:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>well the motor in my galant is on its way out the door. i mean it runs perfectly fine but one of the mounts on the block is cracked so if i wanted to rebuild or whatever i'd rather yank the motor and and drop something that isn't cracked. Â*

anyways for 5-10 grand, who said i'd drop in a stock motor in there lol.</div>

What mounts are you talking about Allan? The motor mounts or something else? If it's the mounts, why not just replace them with solids? Thats less than $100 and a few hours labor. Or are you talking about something different?

But that twin turbo would be a hell of a swap if you could get your hands on an ECU. This is one of the first motors I saw that has an uncut harness. Go for it if you have the time and the duckets :thumbsup:

Mante
03-04-2005, 07:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
just gotta find me 5-10 grand to buy the parts and cover me for some mishaps that will most likely occur</div>

There wouldnt be many mishaps, at most I would give you my auto trans since its already been "converted" me getting your awd one of course jsut for hte unlikely event I change the vr4 to auto...not

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(01GalantLSV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what will be faster? Â*your stock vr4 swapped galant, or the galant you have now with 5-10 grand put into your v6? Â*:) Â* single t66 turbo with full engine rebuild and your talking serious power and in the same price range.</div>

Yes a truely built up sohc 6g72 would be...or could be faster but for how long? hte n/a 6g72 has always been looked at as the wicked step child where as the totally unknown 6a13tt (grant it the overseas guys havent done nothing to them but bolt on stuff) has taken about a year and some change worht of hell from yours truely. i say this with all confidence but I can beat the shit out of a motor/clutch/drivetrain. Thats something hard to accomplish for a motor!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>
But that twin turbo would be a hell of a swap if you could get your hands on an ECU. This is one of the first motors I saw that has an uncut harness. Â*Go for it if you have the time and the duckets Â*:thumbsup:</div>

Oh I forgot to mention that Im pretty sure I could mate the two wiring harness together after taking sometime to get to know the 6a13's wiring nightmare! The only thing that would have to be taken care of is the boost controller, and possibly the knock sensor.. like you need it especially if you install all hte accessories guages...a/f, egt. Lastly you may want to add two O2 sensors one for each bank if you do not wire up the knock sensor.. Oh yea the harnesses of the 6a13tt is the same as the evo 8....ironically mitsubishi states the two pins needed for the two additional injectors are "optional" so any evo 8 owner or stewi could run two more injectors with no sweat...

Both ECU's are relatively easy to get to just make sure you dont gut the car while trying to get to it haha..lesson's learned i guess

Mante
03-04-2005, 07:38 AM
and for the record for that want to stay n/a Mivec 6g72 thread ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=32585')

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/44/87/05_1.JPG Oh and it already comes with an auto fwd

pinoyesv6
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>What mounts are you talking about Allan? The motor mounts or something else? If it's the mounts, why not just replace them with solids? Thats less than $100 and a few hours labor. Or are you talking about something different? </div>

i wish it was the insert. i would have attempted to change that myself a long time ago if it was. its actually the part of the engine that connects to the part you are talking about. when i got my timing belt done my mechanic found alot of tihngs wrong that were never fixed. i guess all the wounds my car had from hitting that avalon never healed. i can' still drive the car no problem but it would be a nice thing to change. i've been casually looking for a motor for a while. i can get a hold of all the tools im looking for since half of my neighbors have setups in their garage for doing this kinda stuff.

seriously thinking about it. i know the motor is there. looking for a beater car cuz i str8 up need a car to drive.

Mante
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
seriously thinking about it. i know the motor is there. looking for a beater car cuz i str8 up need a car to drive.</div>

Find yourself a geniune scooby for yourself lol just use your galant's tags for the time being :!:

ryans99es2.4
03-04-2005, 02:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>and for the record for that want to stay n/a Mivec 6g72 thread ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=32585')

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/44/87/05_1.JPG Â*Oh and it already comes with an auto fwd</div>

that is the ultimate v6 swap

can't tell me that 250N/A is nice

then to put on top of that, i bet you could put a 3000GT VR-4 twin turbo kit on it,

i'd also like to predict that the 3000GT's manual transmission will fit right on there too.

Fishboy55
03-04-2005, 05:05 PM
So $16k for the motor shipped...what's the labor estimate to swap it?

Bottom line I dont think Allan's estimate of 5K is too far off?

pinoyesv6
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryans99es2.4)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>and for the record for that want to stay n/a Mivec 6g72 thread ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=32585')

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/44/87/05_1.JPG Â*Oh and it already comes with an auto fwd</div>

that is the ultimate v6 swap

can't tell me that 250N/A is nice

then to put on top of that, i bet you could put a 3000GT VR-4 twin turbo kit on it,

i'd also like to predict that the 3000GT's manual transmission will fit right on there too.</div>

i hate to say this but im pretty sure your predictions are wrong. the 3kgt's drivetrain is a mirror image of what the 8g galants and that mivec's drivetrain is. so many of those parts you talk about will need modifications if it all they fit.

ryans99es2.4
03-05-2005, 04:08 AM
damn https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif i figured since they were both 6g72 and the 3000gt was a DOHC they would be the same engine just a different head....

well back to the old drawing board https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif