PDA

View Full Version : timing belt question!

vbquad
10-08-2002, 04:21 AM
Does anyone here know how to replace it?And the price for v6 belt?ALso what all extra do you have to take off to get to it? Mine needs to be done soon!

MrDomu
10-08-2002, 06:06 AM
You need to post if you have an I4 or V6 and year.

But, I didnt do mine myself. Paid the dealer $578 w/tax, for timming belt, the outside belts,and new sparkplugs on a V6.

SuperchargedGTZ
10-08-2002, 06:51 AM
i would suggest that you dont do this....let the dealer do it. this isnt something that you wanna mess up.

just my suggestion though

GalantT3
10-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Yeah I agree with GTZ27 you fuck it up and your in deeper than you were before you messed with it. I would just take it to the dealer this way if something goes wrong you just bring it back and have them fix it.

GalantT3
10-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Just my 2 cents :roll:

Big H Killa
10-08-2002, 10:13 AM
The only way I would even recommend doing this is if you know what you're doing when it comes to timing. Plus you would need a timing light and there's a few things you need to take off. If you really want to do this yourself goto www.thegalantcenter.com home page and there is an 8G manual to download from there and it tells you step by step on how to do it. But like everyone else said be very careful before you decide to do this yourself. And to MrDomu he has a V6 if you read his post again. And if he's posting in the 8G forum it's obvious he has an 99-02 and there's nothing different about the timing on any of the engines between these years b/c they are all the same engine's.

pinoyesv6
10-08-2002, 10:19 AM
in the tutorials section of TGC there is a copy of the service manual. u can look @ that for a quick reference on how to do it. but be warned, its a very long process and shouldn't be one of those things that u do and finish half ass, things need to be percise. even if you can't afford to let the dealer do it, maybe a local certified mechanic can probably do a better job than u can if you are still weary about doing it

BlueESV6
10-08-2002, 11:08 AM
My dealer said it was like a 4-5 hour job on the V6 and in the $400-500 range. Because of the hassle factor and that you can do serious damage to the engine if done wrong... definitely let a pro handle it!

Big H Killa
10-08-2002, 11:17 AM
But you gotta think that 400-500 will drop if you don't change the spark plugs out because that's like a 3 hour job so u know. But maybe you have to take the pieces off of the V6 the same way you would the for the spark plugs.

pinoyesv6
10-08-2002, 11:21 AM
But you gotta think that 400-500 will drop if you don't change the spark plugs out because that's like a 3 hour job so u know. But maybe you have to take the pieces off of the V6 the same way you would the for the spark plugs.

the 4-5 hundred dollars most likely doesn't include the spark plugs. uhm the timing belt is on the side of the motor and the spark plugs are kinda on the top so most likely most of the parts won't really overlap as for removal wise. the dealer might hook u up if u do both @ teh same time since timing belts should be replaced @ around 60k and so do the platinum plugs the v6's have

Gilhuly
10-08-2002, 12:50 PM
The plugs and timing belt on the V6 are in fact in pretty different areas. I did the plugs on my V6 and would say not to attempt that if you don't have some tools and some confidence. Timing belt - NFW (first word is no and last word is way). You can actually get a good look at your timing belt though pretty easily. The upper front timing belt cover is right up on top in the front of the engine bay passenger's side coming off the side of the valve cover (silver cover that says V6 24 Valve). Take a couple bolts off and you can pull it out a couple inches and inspect the condition of the belt. I have 75K currently and while my belt doesn't look new, there's not a blemish or a crack on it anywhere. I'm going to let it ride for a while. If my water pump starts to leak, I'll do it (have it done) all at the same time.

vbquad
10-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I wouldnt change belt myself! Just trying to figure ouy how to save money by maybe buying belt and have mechanic do it for me.I was thinking of changing my plugs myslef to save money and maybe put in iridium!But if you ave to mess with plenum to change belt ill just let them do it.Dealer wants way to much her in San Bernardino,ca. I wll call ontario,ca dealer and see if its the same.If only this car was as easy as a 83 colt( mitsu too) to work on.I can do a lot on that car.

Big H Killa
10-09-2002, 09:32 AM
When I was talking about most of the money is costing to do the spark plugs. I wasn't talking about the cost of the spark plugs. I was talking about the at very least 1 1/2 hour of labor you paying for to take the plenum off and then the other 1 1/2 to put it back on. Now you tell me for three hours just of labor how much is a dealership gonna cost. I wasn't talking about the sparkplugs them selves.

Gilhuly
10-09-2002, 01:20 PM
You don't have to mess w/ the plenum to do the timing belt, but you do need to take off just about everything off the left side of the motor. If you can get the TB done for less than $300 from someone you have confidence in you're doing great.

Big H Killa
10-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Gilhuly he got a quote from the dealership if you read his first post for doing The Spark Plugs the Timing Belt and Something Else. I'm just saying it would probably be alot cheaper if he didn't have the spark plugs done because off all the labor involved putting new spark plugs in, in the V6. I'm not saying you have to take the plenum off to fix the Timing belt. I'm just saying if you cut out the spark plugs right now it should be a couple hundred cheaper because there's gonna be alot less labor.

sebring95
10-09-2002, 03:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 75K currently and while my belt doesn't look new, there's not a blemish or a crack on it anywhere. Â*I'm going to let it ride for a while. Â*If my water pump starts to leak, I'll do it (have it done) all at the same time.</div>

Looks don't necessarily mean a lot on a timing belt. While you could detect if it's getting worn and the teeth might start stripping off, but generally a belt suffers a massive malfunction. Usually just snaps in one particular place that is weak. I wouldn't press it too far on these, as they are interference engines and saving money for a few months won't be squat compared to cracking the engine open.

sheefo2k
10-09-2002, 04:52 PM
i m doing mine right now at the dealer bro

well i m donig the 60, 000 milesone and it costed me aroudn 840 something aroudn that

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
10-09-2002, 04:57 PM
hey thanks for the prices and other stuff i need my plugs and timing belt changed and more i got 70,750 miles https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

99GalantOn18s
10-09-2002, 11:14 PM
wussup?? i gotta 99 Galant I4 and i only paid $100 to get my timing belt done, and they even installed my AEM tru-time pulleys, and gave me a tire rotation... lol ya'll should come down to georgia https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

sheefo2k
10-10-2002, 11:38 PM
hmm yea man timing belt is something and donig the 60,000 service is something else

hmm i believe they open the engine and change spark plugs, and the wires. and the trans. oil. and the other oil. brakes checked and fixed. uhh watelse i had a problem with one og my valves. theres' something called o god i fogot all i know its a little thing in each valve and they adjust so that the piston owulnd' move aroudn that much and one of them were broken so the piston was moving aounrd a little and it sounded like a disel engine lol krkrkrkrkkr that noise. and so yea i got it replaced and it was free underwaranty but i got all the other stuff for aroudn 800

and man i dont c how hu wouldn't replace the timeing belt for only 100, how much did it eevn cost u ?? yea the belt

T.S.
10-15-2002, 11:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 75K currently and while my belt doesn't look new, there's not a blemish or a crack on it anywhere. Â*I'm going to let it ride for a while. Â*If my water pump starts to leak, I'll do it (have it done) all at the same time.</div>

I would really recommend changing that soon, if it breaks your valves will make some nice holes in the top of your pistons. I used to make some extra money buying 1g eclipses with broken timing belts at 70k-100k, replacing the engine and reselling. Most that did break, broke at around 75k-95k so don't hold out too long.

Danger DANJ
10-15-2002, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if manybrews or someone could tell me if I'm correct in assuming that a Mitsu mechanic would drop down the whole engine and drivetrain to change the timing belt? I know that is done on many other vehicles with tiny engine bays, but I would think that even with a decent size engine bay like ours, it would still be easier to drop everything out of the car.

Also, as someone pointed out, I would get the water pump changed at the same time you get the timing belt changed. In most cases, the water pump doesn't last much longer than the timing belt.

Gilhuly
10-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Points well taken - and you're all right - the risk return tradeoff sucks. What, am I not going to do it? It's only a delay before an inevitable outcome. Big H, understood on your point as well and well taken - I've done that plug job - anybody who can do that one in an hour and a half should go into business doing it.

vbquad
10-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Hello everyone, got the timing belt and outer belts replaced today for $279.They used mitsu parts of course.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
10-17-2002, 04:57 PM
speaking of belts i just got a coupon for 15% off timing belt replacement from my dealer did anyone else get one?

TJC
10-19-2002, 11:35 PM
I just went to the dealer on Thursday for some quotes and it's around $900 for 60k mile service which includes timing belt and plugs and a whole list of things. I said I've already changed my plugs to Iridiums and good for the next 60-100k. He then said OH, if you don't need plugs, we don't have to take off the intake plenum and that will shave 3 hours of labor off your service. I said how much then just for the timing belt and it was $500.

Removing the intake plenum is no big deal to me anymore and I've done it several times replacing plugs and installing my DP and now my headers. I have a tutorial on this in the main page if you're interested.

Also, it's very true that when the belt fatigues, not all the symptoms are visible. I've only got 46k on my car and when I was under my car doing the headers, I was able to look at the teeth of the timing belt on the underside and I already see wear. The grooves were cracking already so I'm already shopping around for rates. Point I'm making is that this was obviously not evident when I inspect my timing belt from up top and only looking at the surface. It obviously looks okay from up top and I would have never caught it otherwise.

$500 bucks is still a little bit much for me so I will definitely look into the service manual again to see if I can do this myself; if a timing gun is all I need, that's nothing compared to dealer rates. The other option I will check is have my local shop do the work for me and I get the belt from dealer or they can for me.

Also, $500 seems to be the generic full price rate and I'm sure if you ask for a discount on such a big service, they can take some off. Mention to them that others have received a 15% coupon on this service and if you can get the same deal. You've got nothing to loose but the price, hehe. :wink:

taz2w
10-30-2002, 03:34 PM
looks good. I've always loved Kalapana Black...

taz2w
10-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear that. As if they have nothing better to do with their lives but to worry about others cars. :?

taz2w
10-30-2002, 03:35 PM
where can u get colored vinyl cheap?

taz2w
10-30-2002, 03:36 PM
gotta love those motegi's on your ride jay https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

taz2w
10-30-2002, 03:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>where can u get colored vinyl cheap?</div>

if you want some really cheap go to a local shop. they might have some scraps they can give u or sell to you fro really cheap.

if you visit the main page ot TGC, i beive we have two delaers on there that sell vinyl. they can hook u up also