PDA

View Full Version : got some rotors

datdude305
03-22-2005, 03:28 PM
just bought some cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads ! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

now just gotta instal them is it that hard ? do it my self or mechanic ?

BlankMan
03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Install them yourself. If you can take your wheel off, chances are you can put the new discs on without too much trouble... I'd suggest a Haynes/Chilton manual at least if you're not familiar with this type of work, though.

J

Reelax
03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
it's simple, u can do it yourself. just make sure not to let the calipers hang by the brake lines. i usually tie them up w/ a zip tie when i change my pads.

DryBear
03-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Seriously - its very easy - all you need is a torque wrench, the correct sockets, jack stands/jack, zipties, and possibly some PB blaster to get them stubborn bolts off.

1. Jack up car
2. support with jack stands and block off other wheels.
3. remove wheel
4. remove the caliper (2 bolts), and hang it from the suspension using the zipties, making sure that no pressure is on the brake lines
5. remove the caliper support bracket (2 bolts)
6. remove rotor, and place new rotor - put on the lug nuts to keep the rotor flat against the hub
7. replace caliper support bracket and caliper
8. remove lugs and replace wheel
9. get er off the jack stands and yer done!
10. check the manufacturers instructions for bedding the new rotors.

I don't remember what the torque specs were, but I think it was 24lbs for the calpier and 29lbs for the bracket, and 80lbs for the wheel lugs.

Probably takes about 30-45 mins to do

datdude305
03-22-2005, 11:38 PM
that was the easy part but wut i fear about the whole deal is the ceramic pads flying off doing 50 on my way to work :oops:

pinoyesv6
03-22-2005, 11:41 PM
if you put everything in right and torqued everything to spec, nothing's gonna fall off.

anyways, if you run into problems you'll most likely run into them the first time you take your car out. you know. when u break the pads in.

SkylineG1
03-22-2005, 11:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(datdude305)</div><div class='quotemain'>just bought some cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads ! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Â*

now just gotta instal them is it that hard ? do it my self or mechanic ?</div>

That depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you can change your oil then you can do this.

datdude305
03-23-2005, 02:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Seriously - its very easy - all you need is a torque wrench, the correct sockets, jack stands/jack, zipties, and possibly some PB blaster to get them stubborn bolts off.

1. Jack up car
2. support with jack stands and block off other wheels.
3. remove wheel
4. remove the caliper (2 bolts), and hang it from the suspension using the zipties, making sure that no pressure is on the brake lines
5. remove the caliper support bracket (2 bolts)
6. remove rotor, and place new rotor - put on the lug nuts to keep the rotor flat against the hub
7. replace caliper support bracket and caliper
8. remove lugs and replace wheel
9. get er off the jack stands and yer done!
10. check the manufacturers instructions for bedding the new rotors.

I don't remember what the torque specs were, but I think it was 24lbs for the calpier and 29lbs for the bracket, and 80lbs for the wheel lugs.

Probably takes about 30-45 mins to do</div>

tons o problems

remove support braket nothing the coter pin and bolt one one plus since i hav no socket that big i royally fucked it up with a wrench going to auto zone to get new bolt and rent a socket

01GalantLSV6
03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>tons o problems Â*

remove support braket nothing the coter pin and bolt one one plus since i hav no socket that big i royally fucked it up with a wrench going to auto zone to get new bolt and rent a socket</div>

:approve:

ChikagoGTZ
03-23-2005, 05:47 PM
What cotter pin are you talking about???

Take your car to a mechanic, pronto. In fact, have someone drive you. :roll:

pinoyesv6
03-23-2005, 07:31 PM
the rotor just floats on the hub. the caliper and pads keep the rotor for rocking around. once you remove the caliper bracket the rotor will just pull away from the hub. you might have to hit the rotor with a mallet to losssen it from the hub.

ChikagoGTZ
03-23-2005, 08:17 PM
I think this guy is trying to take off the transaxle castellated nut...I believe those are torqued to above 200ft/lbs. I used a blow torch and a johnson bar to get mine off (It was a little rusted as well)

datdude305
03-23-2005, 10:43 PM
ok while looking at the new bolt in one hand the rotor in the other and the hub on the car i realized where i went wrong. the two bolts i said where one with a cotterpin were not needed to go on ur list nor should i have taken off the the transaxle nut. but i put it back on and yes the rotor did come off in a few bangs . basicly i am sorry for blameing u for smothing that i did wrong :oops: but i am not saying i am totaly to blame i got everything back on and the car is ok and stoping good i guess miscommunication was the thing that happened to me :roll: