PDA

View Full Version : Can i put em on?

uplaya101
03-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I just found out that the manual says no snow chains are allowed on a glant. I have 01 and 18 inch, low profile tires on em. But im suppose to head up to tahoe with my car this weekend and it might be snowing up there. So whats the deal? has anybody used them before?

pinoyesv6
03-22-2005, 07:26 PM
the manual says that you probably won't have enough clearance with the snow chains. clearance meaning you'll start to rub.

but i still think you should put some smaller wheels like 15's or 16's that have some kinda snow designation on them if you really plan on driving in the snow. 18 + snow = disaster waiting to happen. with or without snow chains.

DryBear
03-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Personally, I'd go rent an SUV or something, unless you *must* have your galant up at Tahoe.

uplaya101
03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
heres the deal, im too young to rent a car (19) and i dont have my old wheels no more.

would u still recoment me not to drive even if there is hardly no snow on the road, but just wet or mabye icy.

DryBear
03-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, I've driven up to tahoe without having to put on chains, and it can get a bit wet up there, but its not too bad, even with a bit of snowfall. Just watch your speed.

Personally, if the weather report said chains were necessary, I wouldn't bring my galant, especially if it was snowing hard.

uplaya101
03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
ya top it off i will have the weight of 5 adults and their luggage... :?

chromey
03-22-2005, 11:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uplaya101)</div><div class='quotemain'>ya top it off i will have the weight of 5 adults and their luggage... Â*:?</div>

5 adults plus luggage with 18's and low pros?? :shock: are they anerexic?

ClubMed112
03-23-2005, 01:23 AM
More weight would get you a better grip on the ground, so that isn't your problem.
Why do you think trucks have a hard ass time in the snow, the back wheels slip cause there is nothing in the back.
Rear wheel drive.

DOHCstunr
03-23-2005, 01:36 AM
"go" isn't as important as stopping when you are in the snow.
more peaople yeah you'll have more traction, but if you have to stop suddenly... or you are descending a hill, its going to be more difficult to keep the car at an acceptable speed. i'd rather get stuck, than slide off the road into a tree, or to my bloody doom on the side of a mountain.
Get somone else to drive.
it will keep your miles down, and you won't have to worry about your car meeting its demise.
Although, I absolutely love driving in the mountains, all the curves, its perfect for a super touring sedan.
but i'd rather do it in the summer than when there could be ice on the roads.

(18's + snow)/ treacherous mountain curves= bad news^2

but thats just one man's opinion.
do what you will

peanotation
03-23-2005, 03:05 AM
i think the combination of the chain on low pro tires will make for one very stiff wheel/tire assembly. too cold for snow. regular big sidewall tires flex a little bit to match the conditions...and this is their only advantange.

Reelax
03-23-2005, 04:08 AM
wait a second... 18's +5 people and luggage? tell one of the other people to drive one of their cars and then ride w/ them. i would never take my car near the snow because i would definately get stuck (19's dropped 3"). are you planning on goin to the snow to ski or snowboard? get somebody to rent a car or SUV (we rented a full size van for $250.00 to go snowboarding last weekend from LA to mammoth for 8 people)... it's only like $300.00 for the weekend. split that w/ the other four in your group and it's $60.00 each. the damage you could do to your car is way more than $300.00!

ClubMed112
03-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Ya, so he makes me drive my bucket, but whatever, my car ain't gonna make it, and hes gonna be in it, so he can call triple A when my car starts smoking and you feel a huge bump, and you look back and see a car run into my transmission on the freeway.

ChikagoGTZ
03-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Uh, borrow a car, doesn't one of the other 4 people have a car with regular tires?

Reelax
03-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Ya, so he makes me drive my bucket, but whatever, my car ain't gonna make it, and hes gonna be in it, so he can call triple A when my car starts smoking and you feel a huge bump, and you look back and see a car run into my transmission on the freeway.

who r u talking to and what r u talking about?

Alexey
03-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Clubmed's avatar's distracting me from the topic https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif