PDA

View Full Version : squeak

invertedzero
03-23-2005, 07:57 PM
anyone having brake pad problems on the 9gs?????????????????

ChikagoGTZ
03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
If they are anything like the 8gs, and the 7gs before, you'll have problems soon enough.... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

bjarvis
03-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I had squeaking brakes on my 8g. Spraying them with brake cleaner
would stop the squeak for about a week, then it would come back.
I eventually replaced the rotors and switched to softer ceramic pads
and the noise went away.

The brakes still suck, though, from a performance point of view.
I think I'll start another thread on this and see what people have
to say about it.

2fat4ya
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
if you mean a squeeeeeeling sound on the disk brake on rear then i do have it. Mine started when i took off the wheel and the rotor to see the drum/park brake inside it(preety cool) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

invertedzero
03-24-2005, 06:27 AM
yeah i already brought it back to service they already changed the pads and the rotors and the noise is still there everytime i brake but when it's really cold and there's snow i barely hear it.............is the galant really known for bad brakes???????? any other solution to this?

Feared
04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
no, not yet =P

RedGalant2k1
04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
yeah i already brought it back to service they already changed the pads and the rotors and the noise is still there everytime i brake but when it's really cold and there's snow i barely hear it.............is the galant really known for bad brakes???????? any other solution to this?

Follow proper break-in procedures for brakes.

30 stops at 30mph with 30 seconds between stops. Avoid panic stops, give yourself extra braking distance at all times.

My Galants brakes felt great to me, no pulsations, no squeaks, no akward noises.

How do you primarily use your car? Highway? or City?

invertedzero
04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
the pads, rotors were actually fine, i heard a humming sound for a few days and brought it back to mitsu, and they said it's a wheel bearing, ever since it was replaced the squeak on the brakes are gone. to the other question i use the car for city and highway use

travbrad
07-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I've had my car less than a month and my brakes are already squeaking. The brakes work great, but the squeak is really annoying.

9G
07-03-2005, 06:55 AM
So I guess the high pitch squil sound is normal... Mine squils on 3 axels :cry:

Also, anyone know or tried to get it fix under warranty? My pads have 50% left on them.

RED2KESV6
07-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Follow proper break-in procedures for brakes.

30 stops at 30mph with 30 seconds between stops.

Uh, where exactly do you find a safe place to do that? From a stop, accelerate to 30 mph, stop, wait 30 seconds, repeat 29 times? Sounds good as theory, but seems impractical, unless maybe you live in BFE with no traffic.

Its Reu
11-02-2005, 08:12 PM
my brakes are are screaming (lol) already but it only happens after it rains or its really cold out

invertedzero
11-02-2005, 10:12 PM
i finally found a dealer that could fix it and it was the bearings btw how's genmivec?

Torque&Scoot
11-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Only problem I noticed on the GTS is when I go through a puddle of water slowly and brake easy. I hear a very loud whine, even after I stop. I don't know if it's the ABS sensor or what. Otherwise the car brakes fine.

invertedzero
11-11-2005, 09:28 AM
hi pitch squeal happens only when the disc brakes are wet, but should go away after driving for awhile

cape97
11-11-2005, 10:32 AM
yeah you know what i have been getting that for like 5000 miles now....i only have 8k but b4 that i wasnt geting that.....time to bring it to service!!!

9G
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
i sprayed some of those disk brake sprays that you spray on the rotors from advance auto parts. I have no squeling anymore so I guess it works.

invertedzero
11-11-2005, 11:05 PM
yeah you know what i have been getting that for like 5000 miles now....i only have 8k but b4 that i wasnt geting that.....time to bring it to service!!!

see if you can actually put silicone on the backplate and the sides of the brakepads

invertedzero
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
i sprayed some of those disk brake sprays that you spray on the rotors from advance auto parts. I have no squeling anymore so I guess it works.

yeah it does work but it will be gone after awhile

DiamondCut
03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Same problem...only worse. I purchased my 9G in Oct 05. I have taken it to the dealer to be serviced 3 times already for squeaky brakes. The first time they told me the brakes were fine and I just had a lot of dust. A couple of days later the brakes started squeaking again. Took it back 2 weeks later and was told the power steering column needed replacing and they would have to order the part. 2 weeks later, they called and said the part was in. By this time, the brakes aren't just squeaking they sounded like they were rubbing. They replaced the power steering column and everything was fine for about a month. The squeaking came back and whenever I would brake the steering wheel would shake. In addition, when I drive in reverse there is a rubbing/scrapping sound. I took it back and was told the rotors were bad because the brake pads were worn. I questioned them as to why they didn't fix the brakes when I brought it in the first time. The manager said the brake pads aren't covered under the warranty but the rotor is. So, they turned the rotor and told me it would cost $80 to replace the pads. I replaced the pads but the squeaking and the rubbing sound in reverse are still there. I just don't know what else to do. I feel like they are playing games with me. Can anyone help???

invertedzero
03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
pads are covered for one year i had mine replaced try looking for another dealer took me a long time before i found one so have some patience, and another problem i had was when i break, it was really embarassing to hear those rubbing metal sound when i break, and the mechanic told me that it was actually the hub see if your hubs aren't loose

Ikudni
03-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Why not just upgrade the rotors and pads? Mitsu brakes suck anyway.

DiamondCut
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
If the brakes and rotors are the only problem then that is what I will do. I just want to be sure that's the only problem going on with my car. I am mainly concerned about the noise it is making when I drive in reverse.

invertedzero
03-09-2006, 10:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondCut)</div><div class='quotemain'>If the brakes and rotors are the only problem then that is what I will do. I just want to be sure that's the only problem going on with my car. I am mainly concerned about the noise it is making when I drive in reverse.</div>

i agree try solving the prob first before investing on something anyways if you read your manual the brakes and rotors are covered for one year and again try bringing it to a different dealership

DiamondCut
03-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I can't find my manual. I have tried looking online for warranty info but haven't found anything. The dealership says the brakes are covered, but not the pads. Does the manual say how many miles before the brakes aren't covered? I bought the car used so I am the second owner and I think the 1 year doesn't apply to me.

invertedzero
03-13-2006, 11:50 PM
20 000 kilometers or 1 year on the warranty book which is also the maintainance booklet

ladylove1978
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I have had my 9G for 3 weeks.Used with under 14,000 miles. I am xperiencing the brake issues also. If this is something "regular" how can I be sure to know when it actually is time to change my brakes.

invertedzero
04-17-2006, 02:30 PM
if you're feeling something on your brakes get it checked asap

Tech_Greek
04-21-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't know if you guys knew this or not, but pads/rotors need x amount of heat before they are fully effective, most aftermarket pads that I've seen have a little squeak to them as they haven't been heated up yet but once they do they are fine.

It's one thing if they are squeaking, it's another thing if you can feel it in the pedal when it does that and the noise is a bit louder.

I personally haven't had this problem with mine and it has 50k miles on the clock.