PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

Cheekz185
03-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey does ne1 know if a catback exhaust for a 3G Eclipse fit on an 02 G?

Donovan
03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Hrm.not sure about taht but nice fog lights.
where did you get those from.

pinoyesv6
03-27-2005, 06:16 PM
it will fit but it needs to be lengthened since the galant and the eclipse are different lengths.

Fishboy55
03-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Yep Allan's right. Plan on spending a few extra $ for about 11 inches of pipe to make the Eclipse catback fit. Other than that, it mates up perfectly.

Lazarus
03-27-2005, 10:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yep Allan's right. Plan on spending a few extra $ for about 11 inches of pipe to make the Eclipse catback fit. Other than that, it mates up perfectly.</div>

If you weren't a dude I'd say I got 11" of pipe for you no cost....

NYmagicstk
03-28-2005, 06:37 AM
<span style='color:blue'>This might be a dumb question, but can't you just take the muffler off the eclipse and put it where the G muffler goes? I've seen Galants with eclipse mufflers, 2 to be precise, but I never got a chance to ask them how they did it.</span>

Lootrock
03-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I'd say fuck the eclipse cat back and save your money with a custom bent one.

pinoyesv6
03-28-2005, 08:27 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'>This might be a dumb question, but can't you just take the muffler off the eclipse and put it where the G muffler goes? I've seen Galants with eclipse mufflers, 2 to be precise, but I never got a chance to ask them how they did it.</span>

you can do that with the many car's mufflers out there. not just the eclipse.

but getting a universal muffler is probably gonna be cheaper than buying a catback exhaust to just cut off the muffler and weld onto your car.

maximus
03-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes you can run an eclipse exhaust on an a galant.I have a gts exhaust on my 8g.You have to cut the eclipse exhaust and weld in some piping since there cars are shorter than ours.You have to relocate the mounting points underneath the car as well,since our cars have a long tail pipe after the muffler and the eclipse does not.Its not that difficult just time consuming.

Serstylz2
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
but when its finished it sounds GREAT

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 12:30 AM
<span style='color:blue'>How does a GTZ muffler compare to an eclipse muffler? Which is better as far as sound, and /or performance. I have a 4cyl, so I'm not exactly trying to make my shit a beast, I just want it to look and sound hot. Ya know?</span>

01GalantLSV6
03-29-2005, 12:44 AM
How does a GTZ muffler compare to an eclipse muffler? Which is better as far as sound, and /or performance. I have a 4cyl, so I'm not exactly trying to make my shit a beast, I just want it to look and sound hot. Ya know?

i personally think its a waste to get another OEM muffler. id just get an aftermarket universal muffler with a nice tip that isnt too loud. magnaflow mufflers with chrome tips look good and have a nice deep but not too loud sound.

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 01:13 AM
<span style='color:blue'>That's true, but it's just that the majority of the universal mufflers that I like are mad big, and I see a big muffler, and I think "Loud motherfucker" We all know that a G ain't supposed to sound like a Rice burning civic, or a lawnmower, I like the look of the larger mufflers, but if it is louder than my bass, I don't want it. Does anyone have any recommendations preferably with sites, or pics? Thanx in advance for the help. G-unit!</span> (laughter in background)

pinoyesv6
03-29-2005, 01:43 AM
universal mufflers big?? uhm. you should crawl under your car and see how big the oem muffler is.

visit an exhaust shop. tell them what you want. they should be able to hook you up with a quiet peformance muffler.

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
<span style='color:blue'>Lol. You always got something to say, huh? Nah I'm j/k. I was talking about the opening itself, not the overall size of the muffler. I know oem mufflers are huge, but they aren't loud, because the opening is like 2in or whatever.</span>

pinoyesv6
03-29-2005, 02:14 AM
if you visit any exhaust shop, most auto parts stores, many of the online parts stores they'll have a muffler that looks similar to this

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/parts/12215.jpg

it might be of a different size, maybe different finish but many of the big name brands have mufflers that look similar to the one i pictured. mangaflow, borla, bosal, dynomax, flowmaster, thermal rd and etc.

many of those mufflers are quiet while still providing better exhaust flow characteristics than the oem muffler.

canister mufflers tend to be a lil bit louder than the oval mufflers since many time they have less sound insulationg material inside.

the reason i say tend because there are exceptions. there are some loud oval mufflers and there are some quiet canister mufflers. my canister muffler is imported from asia and its really quiet. but it has a straight flow design that allows for better exhaust flow than the oem muffler.

if you visit any local exhaust shop like i said they can find you a muffler that you like.

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 03:29 AM
Thanx https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

maximus
03-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I am not sure about the gtz exhaust there should be a few members on here that may be able to answer your questions.The gts exhaust is 2.5 piping and I removed the two small resonators to give it an awesome sound.Not to loud but not stock either.I do get noticed with the exhaust but the cops leave me alone and I car hear my bas just fine.In maine it is against the law to have an aftermarket exhaust and I know a few people that have been to court on this subject.The best part of running an eclipse exhaust or a gtz exhaust is it says mitsubishi right on it so they can't do shit if they pull you over.How many guys can say that about there exhaust's.I have an apexi n1 exhaust that is 3" piping from the cat back and I keep beating myself up if I should run this or not.I like my gts exhaust and have no complaints about it.There are many people that have complimented me on the exhaust even older(50 ish) people said they liked it.Say what you want but there are people out there that don't an exhaust that will shake your teeth out at wide open throttle.That's what the bass is for right.I also have a 4 year old and don't need him to go deaf over the exhaust note in the back seat.I hope this has helped you in finding the right exhaust for your g.If you need a pic you can check out f1 dyno mini meet there is pic of my g on there.Thanks maximus

pinoyesv6
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
if the cops were pressed enough to look for the mitsubishi on the muffler then wouldn't they have also noticed that you took out the resonators??

btw the GTZ muffler is a joke. i have one of them. All the v6's share the same exhaust so there is no special GTZ muffler and i tell you, it was restrictive and heavy. if any1 wants it they can have mine.

for those wondering the eclipse's muffler is different from the v6 galants muffler. the eclipse muffler is smaller.

just by curiosity purposes. here's a cutout of the eclipse's muffler.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/exhaust/3g-stockmufflerguts2.jpg

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 05:29 PM
<span style='color:blue'>Ok, 2 things... can someone with an 8g and 7g take a pic of their respective undersides and circle the resonators I would have to remove? Also, would I be able to have a 2.5inch pipe put on from say right behind the front wheel and ran back to an eclipse muffler? If I can, what would it do to my car? I have an 8g, my mom has a 7g, my pops also has an 8g. Lol. Purely coincedence</span>

maximus
03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I can't take any pics for you because I removed mine but the exhaust from the front tire you mean the down pipe???You could run an eclipse down pipe that would be 2.5" but you would have to remove the cat.You can fabricate anything for an exhaust system.I would keep the cat maybe run a v6 cat instead of the 4 cyl cat it is bigger piping inside than what we have.I have a 2001 eclipse v6 high performance cat that I plan on running with my turbo set-up the big difference is the o2 sensor location.There are 2 on this cat instead of one so I have to take the one out of the manifold and run it to the cat no big deal.The cops up here are really anal about exhaust systems trust me if they pulled me over they would check the exhaust, as far as the resonators go they wouldn't be able to see the back two resonators because of the location.They are located above the rear cross member and you can't see them unless the car is on a lift.

Johnathansgalant
03-29-2005, 10:34 PM
for the i4s megan racing makes an awesome catback.. i got nice rumble at all spectrums.. just some info...

NYmagicstk
04-05-2005, 02:50 AM
<span style='color:blue'> Again, I'm requesting for someone with their car still stock to get a pic of the underbelly and label the cat and resonators. I don't know which is which ( I know... "Dummy").</span>

theblackpearl
04-05-2005, 02:56 AM
the resonators are smaller than the cat..cat is the big ugly thing following your flex pipe(looks like a woven basket)

maximus
04-05-2005, 11:11 AM
If you look under the galant pics forum there is a guy in there that just changed his exhaust to an apexi n1 exhaust and he has before and after pics.You will be able to see the resonators.