PDA

View Full Version : Auto to 5-spd tranny swap...

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 04:30 AM
<span style='color:blue'>Can the mitsu dealership do this? I definitely will not try and do this myself, as I have very little knowledge of tranny systems. I'm guessing if Mitsu can do it, they'll charge me an arm and a leg like they do with their damn parts. I'm in NY, does anyone know where I might be able to get this done affordably? At least within 45min. of Manhattan. I live in Queens, but I'd be willing to go to Jersey, if the prices are good.

Please do not reply with "Do a search" I hate doing searches, cause I never find what I'm looking for.
Thanx for the help Ladies and fellas.

P.s. I have a 2001 ES 4cyl. If I could do an affordable Auto 4cyl to 5spd V6 swap, that would be the shit.</span>

peanotation
03-29-2005, 10:56 AM
not to be a cocky egotistical asshole, but if you can't do the tranny swap you should just stop even thinking about your car. if you don't have the tools and resources to do it, that's understandable. but if you can change your own oil and read english, there is no reason why you can't theoretically do the tranny swap. i left no room for assumption or question in my tutorial. granted, it's for a 7G, but it's the exact same for the 8G, just things are located in slightly different places, and the tranny is on the other side. i was scared before i did my swap, but afterwards, i was pissed because everyone makes it sound so hard. i have more problems cooking than i did with the swap

http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html ('http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html')

BigMike
03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
magic, you should contact Stewi on this board. He has successfully swapped the tranny to 5-spd for an 8G....I'm sure he would be able to help you out

NYmagicstk
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
<span style='color:blue'>I can change my own oil, filters, and all that, it's just that I'm afraid (yes afraid) that due to lack of knowledge, I'll fuck my baby up unreversably. Is it really that easy? Isn't there like welding involved? lol probably a dumb question. I'll try to get a hold of Stewi. Thanx </span>

tolowbass
03-29-2005, 05:49 PM
no welding involved its a true bolt up install. the only thing you have to do is drill holes through your firewall and they are actually already marked where they should be. you can see what im talking about if you look above your break pedal behind the black rubber matt on the firwall. the reverse light seems to also be an issue but im not sure how to fix that.

peanotation
03-29-2005, 10:02 PM
welding? the most complicated thing i did was hold a pair of pliers and vice grips at the same time.

FastNFabolous
03-30-2005, 12:02 AM
No the dealership wont do it. They will sell you the tranny though.

theblackpearl
03-30-2005, 02:24 AM
how much would a tranny cost from the dealer? cause im lookin to do a swap sometime soon..

BigMike
03-30-2005, 05:52 AM
how much would a tranny cost from the dealer? cause im lookin to do a swap sometime soon..

The dealer will not do a 5spd tranny swap for you....and if you actually find a dealer who will violate thier own policies, then they will prolly charge you your first 3 unborns to do it

tolowbass
03-30-2005, 06:36 AM

you should get the parts from car-parts.com this will be your cheapest alternative

FastNFabolous
03-30-2005, 08:30 PM

They were asking 3500 for a new one & about 1500 for a used one :roll:

Xska55
04-02-2005, 04:15 PM
[quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'>Can the mitsu dealership do this? I definitely will not try and do this myself, as I have very little knowledge of tranny systems. I'm guessing if Mitsu can do it, they'll charge me an arm and a leg like they do with their damn parts. I'm in NY, does anyone know where I might be able to get this done affordably? At least within 45min. of Manhattan. I live in Queens, but I'd be willing to go to Jersey, if the prices are good.

Please do not reply with "Do a search" I hate doing searches, cause I never find what I'm looking for.
Thanx for the help Ladies and fellas.

P.s. I have a 2001 ES 4cyl. If I could do an affordable Auto 4cyl to 5spd V6 swap, that would be the shit.</span>

"OIL CHANGE" lol that kid is smoking crack dont listen to him, this isnt an easy job theres alot involved and you gotta be mechanicaly inclined to do this or have someone that is, even somebody that knows a great deal of automotive knowledge, get in touch with me or stewi so it can be explained to you in detail and if you feel like you cant do it than bring your car by and well do it in a day and we dont need a tuturial to do it

seth98esT
04-02-2005, 05:12 PM
The hardest part is cutting 3 nice looking holes in the firewall. How hard is it to cut holes in sheet metal, not that hard with the right tools. Next hardest part is getting the old tranny out and old flywheel/torque converter off. Again not that hard. I had no prior experience with cars before i swapped my engines. Its not hard if you have the right info and tools.

Hodgson316
04-02-2005, 05:31 PM
come on now, I know some people that have a hard time installing their CAI, lol

peanotation
04-02-2005, 09:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xska55)</div><div class='quotemain'>"OIL CHANGE" lol that kid is smoking crack dont listen Â*to him, this isnt an easy job theres alot involved Â*and you gotta be Â*mechanicaly inclined to do this or have someone that is, even somebody that knows a great deal of Â*automotive knowledge, get in touch with me or stewi so it can be explained to you Â*in detail and if you feel like you cant do it than bring your car by and well do it in a day and we dont need a tuturial to do it</div>

yeah, cause i've never done anything to my car :roll: :roll: you don't have to know shit if there's a tutorial explaining it step-by-step right in front of you :roll: it IS easy, and if you're (not you personally) someone that feels they can't do it, then you're gonna have a hard time doing anything with your car

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>come on now, I know some people that have a hard time installing their CAI, lol</div>

those are the people that shouldn't ever be touching a wrench. some people just can't do certain things, as hard as they try.

krispy03
04-02-2005, 09:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>.....some people just can't do certain things, as hard as they try</div>
like me, i cant tie shoes. :cry:

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 12:11 AM
<span style='color:blue'>It's not that I'm a moron or anything, it's just that when I look under the hood to do anything more than an oilchange or add fluid somewhere, I feel like "duh". All of you who say "It's so easy" Fail to realize that you either have minimal knowledge of what you were about to work on, or can afford to replace any fuckups. I have nither. If I fuck up, my baby is done, and I won't have another car for a long time unless I buy a beater (eww).

I removed and painted almost every plastic interior piece in my car, cleared the needles, I'm about to do the playstation/glovebox install, and I can change my own tires. (don't laugh at that last one. just yesterday my friend called me up to change his tire when he broke down like 3 blocks from my house...sad. Lol)</span>

theblackpearl
04-03-2005, 03:55 AM
just start unbolting shit till your auto tranny falls out...youll be good man... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 04:33 AM
<span style='color:blue'>LMAO Black Pearl, you are no help, lol. Lemme go under my car with nothing but a pair of vice grips, and a hammer... that should get my tranny off. Not to mention anything in its way. "Who needs a horn, not me.Radiator? Nope." Lol
You people definitely make my time at work go by quicker.
Thanx</span>

theblackpearl
04-03-2005, 04:42 AM
:roll: soooo.. that wouldnt work then?? lmao

lol jp... nah im swappin my tranny soon but seein as how i dont have all the tools needed im havin a buddy of mine who is far more experienced in mechanics than i am help me, plus he has his own shop...

peanotation
04-03-2005, 05:31 AM
it really isn't difficult. if you have a clear understanding of what's going on (required for any kind of procedure like this) then it's a breeze. i only had 3 questions during the swap process, because i spent weeks just reading and researching about everything. spend as much time as you can pre-planning and looking at tutorials, and when you get in there you'll recognize what to do every step of the way.

theblackpearl
04-03-2005, 05:33 AM
yeah see im just havin the dude who has worked on a lot of cars before there incase i run into problems..i plan on doing it myself for the hands on experience...

what the hell you doin up so late man?

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 05:36 AM
<span style='color:blue'> You didn't know peano was a night owl?</span>

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 05:41 AM
<span style='color:blue'>O.K. I got a good question, it might be a dumb one, but it's good. When I do my tranny swap, If I decide I want to swap my 4cyl for a V6, will I have to get a new tranny too, or is a tranny a tranny? </span>

Jet Black
04-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Yes you will need a new tranny.

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 05:55 AM
unrelated<span style='color:blue'>50 kissed game on Jet Blacks sig eww
But thanx for the info, I had a feeling, so I might as well just keep my "shitty auto" (I'm glad my car can't read) in case I decide to do an engine swap. No use in buying two trannys.</span>

peanotation
04-03-2005, 06:00 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'>O.K. I got a good question, it might be a dumb one, but it's good. When I do my tranny swap, If I decide I want to swap my 4cyl for a V6, will I have to get a new tranny too, or is a tranny a tranny? </span>

LMFAO. not to be an asshole, but if you can't even swap tranny's, don't even THINK about swapping engines, especially a 4cyl for a 6. it is done, but you're having a hard enough time with something simple like a tranny swap, lol. no offense though

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 06:42 AM
<span style='color:blue'>No, no, no. I didn't mean I personally was going to do the swap. Lol. I'm not that stupid to try that, especially if it is more complex than a tranny swap. I'd have a pro do it. That's what they're there for. 8) </span>

8ggalant
04-03-2005, 11:07 AM
short answer YES u will need a V6 5spd

LONG answer:

why the He!! would u wanna do that ..the v6 has 60 more hp than the 4cyl on a good day..w/ yer 5spd and spray u'll be keepin up w/ v6's all day...beatin a few week ones...IN MY OPINION, it is a total waste of money...u could do an evo swap for a lil more cash (say the v6 costs u 1000 for a low mileage motor, ecu, harness, whatever customizing need be it wiring or metal work-which u should need none-headers, downpipe, all this will cost you around 2500 @ the cheapest...now...use that money (which doesnt even include yer tranny swap) and turbo, supercharge, do sumthin...or since yer spendin the big bucks like i said save up a few more dollars (2-3k or so) and get a evo swap goin....

that is all

Xska55
04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
thats funny, most people want to swap out there v6 for a 4cyl so they can do an evo swap but your probaly better off just trading your car in for a GTZ and im pretty sure on the trannys all you have to do is change the bell housing which will run about $300labor

NYmagicstk
04-04-2005, 12:15 AM
What does an EVO swap consist of? I don't know shit about the evo, other than it is fast, and I thought it was awd. What kind of engine does an evo have?

8ggalant
04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
4g63t
dual over head cam, 4cylinder, direct fire ignition (4 coilpacks instead of our crappy TWO), turbo, ALOT OF BOOST

evos are awd but all u need is a 5spd swap, our 5spd fwd tranny mates to that motor no problem....now the swap is nothing to sneeze @ as u will need alot of extras to go w/ it...but its definately worth it

seth98esT
04-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Probably the hardest part in doing the 4g63t swap in an 8g is the wiring but thats just a guess. Also you need an i4 5spd tranny correct? Or is the v6 bell housing the same(highly doubtfull)?

qnz
05-23-2005, 09:05 PM
just do the tranny swap and dont do the v6 swap. stewi did the evo swap and he reused his manual eclipse tranny. evo motor is better than the v6 motors cuz theres more aftermarket support and its easier to work on and lighter.

i read somewhere stewi charges $1000 for doing the swap.

NYmagicstk
05-23-2005, 09:11 PM
That's $1,000 plus I have to find the right parts, correct? I hope Stewie can verify this.

Agent|THC
05-23-2005, 09:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xska55)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats funny, most people want to swap out there v6 for a 4cyl so they can do an evo swap but your probaly better off just trading your car in for a GTZ and im pretty sure on the trannys all you have to do is change the bell housing which will run about $300labor</div>

Ahh never, wont go to a four ever again https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

I have the great pleasure of owning both the same year i4 and v6.

The six has always been more fun... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif The chassis is different (stiffer on the six). Things such as CAI's seem to unleash more power on the six's then the fours..

Only advantage I see is the lower compression on the 4 which lets you boost more. But a simple change of the heads and you're good to go. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

..and if you already have a v6 why would u trade it in for a gtz? I have the LS V6 and the only difference between that and the GTZ is the shocks they use and maybe some bushings and yeah that nice spoiler 2 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif Same Engine. Sorry gtz guys https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

I plan on doing the tranny swap a lil later when my current auto starts acting weird. Its just going so strong I'd hate to get rid of a good working part!

qnz
05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
ya plus parts. parts should be be <$900.

save youself a grand; do lots of reading, bring a friend, and have one helluva weekend taking out ur tranny. you'll have a very satisfied feeling in the end.