PDA

View Full Version : difference between catback vs custom piping??

neel9
03-30-2005, 02:32 AM
i have got a custom piping done to my 2000 I4. i thin the pipe is 2.25" with a espilier muffler.... is there a difference between a custom piping and a catback? i have heard from people that custom iping u lose some power as all the pipes are welded so.. the smooth flow of air is not there.. but i am not sure...please help

SilverDragonGTZ
03-30-2005, 04:23 AM
unless you have 350 or more hp...does it really matter? :roll:

i have 2.5" custom piping from the cat to my tenzo-R muffler, flows just fine, sounds great...i dont have a turbo or 350hp, so i dont need to spend 500 bucks on what someone else calls a performance upgrade :wink:

Reelax
03-30-2005, 04:32 AM
i have got a custom piping done to my 2000 I4. i thin the pipe is 2.25" with a espilier muffler.... is there a difference between a custom piping and a catback? i have heard from people that custom iping u lose some power as all the pipes are welded so.. the smooth flow of air is not there.. but i am not sure...please help

you are not modded enough to notice the difference between 2.25" custom made and 2.25" pre-made. now if you start changing pipe diameter you may see a difference.

neel9
03-30-2005, 11:29 AM
i have driven cars with whole catback exhausts and drive nice and mine is ok.. seems like it is losing power or something.. not sure.. many people have told me that full catback exhuast is way better than justa muffller as the cat back does not have pipes which are welded.. so..

Reelax
03-30-2005, 01:47 PM
i have driven cars with whole catback exhausts and drive nice and mine is ok.. seems like it is losing power or something.. not sure.. many people have told me that full catback exhuast is way better than justa muffller as the cat back does not have pipes which are welded.. so..

a cat back system is better than just a muffler, but weren't you asking if a catback system from the aftermarket is better than a custom catback system? what exactly are you asking now?

neel9
03-30-2005, 05:08 PM
ok i have a custom piping done but has been welded on.. this is not as good as getting a catback right? doesent catback have a smoother flow of air than welded pipes...??

playa759
03-30-2005, 05:17 PM
I think what he saying is: He had custom piping done on his exhaust to accomodate his muffler and he wants to know how this compares to having a cat-back exhaust system. To answer your question The cat-back is better, but if you're not gonna do any other major mods to justify the opening up of the exhaust system then its not really cost effective

neel9
03-30-2005, 05:25 PM
hey .. no cause.. ok when i drive with the custom piping my rpm drops faster and seems like i am losing power.. i am not sure if this is happening to most people cause.. seems lover here that most people are doing the same way i did which was get a bigger pipe and attach a muffller... cause i wanna get a catback but thats if its worth it.. get a custom made done.. but not sure if it will serve the purpose that i want..

pinoyesv6
03-30-2005, 05:36 PM
a pipe that is welded doesn't affect peformance at all. what it effects is durability and longevity. the welds are the weak point of the exhaust. its the place where the exhaust is most likely to leak and rust. thats all.

if its peformance you're woried about you want to worry more aobut the bends. mandrel bent pipe are better than press or crush bent pipe because the pipe diameter doesn't shrink as we go into the bend.

but yea, if the routing is the same between mandrel and press bent, and the pipe diameter is the same, with your mildy modified car, i doubt you're gonna feel a difference. if you do its probably a placebo caused by the amount of money you spend on the exhaust.

Blu_MaTiC
03-30-2005, 05:40 PM
im just curious bout this why not get a custom catback with a 3" diameter instead of 2.5" from wat i know its a better airflow let ya engine brethe better i may be wrong any suggestions?

Danger DANJ
03-30-2005, 06:45 PM
im just curious bout this why not get a custom catback with a 3" diameter instead of 2.5" from wat i know its a better airflow let ya engine brethe better i may be wrong any suggestions?
Our cars don't flow enough air for a 3" exhaust to be beneficial unless you get a tubo or supercharger. A 3" exhaust on an NA car will make you lose power and torque. Even a 2.5" exhaust is a bit big for a 4 cylinder engine.

Blu_MaTiC
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
i see thanx for the info

neel9
03-30-2005, 08:49 PM
i have a piping of 2.25" with a muffler.. what is change thepiping to stock?.. will it help the performance or na?... the info i wanna know is that whenever i drive.. at a higher rpm. the exhaust seems nice but when i hit or slow down little.. the rpom drops alike crazy.. is that suppose to happen or its just mine?

pinoyesv6
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
what is change thepiping to stock?..

changing piping to stock means to take your existing piping and replacing it with piping that came factory from the car

will it help the performance or na?...

you already have 2.25" piping so going back to stock will do hardly anything for you since stock piping is also 2.25"

Censee
03-30-2005, 09:01 PM
what is change thepiping to stock?..

changing piping to stock means to take your existing piping and replacing it with piping that came factory from the car

will it help the performance or na?...

you already have 2.25" piping so going back to stock will do hardly anything for you since stock piping is also 2.25" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:laughing:

krispy03
03-30-2005, 09:04 PM
is it in drive or are you manuly dropping gears?

neel9
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
do u guys know baout the catback system which is being sold on ebay.. i think its megan racing.. how is that compared to what i got? sorry to be so confusing but .. i got my whole pipe change so.. it is bigger than the stock one.

Censee
03-30-2005, 09:10 PM
do u guys know baout the catback system which is being sold on ebay.. i think its megan racing.. how is that compared to what i got? sorry to be so confusing but .. i got my whole pipe change so.. it is bigger than the stock one.

ok man,,lol,,u just said that the piping u have is 2.25,,,,,thats not bigger than stock,,thats stock sized,,,,

pinoyesv6
03-30-2005, 09:10 PM

are you sure? last time i checked aftermarket 2.25" piping is the same size as factory 2.25" piping. thats why its called 2.25" piping cuz thats the size.

cardude03
03-30-2005, 09:28 PM
actually there is a guy who has the megan racing cat back, he says he likes it alot, there were some pix that he posted somewhere around here, i think his username is johnathonsgalant or something like that, i think its the guy who is doing the posters. maybe check out his cardomain

neel9
03-30-2005, 09:55 PM
when i got the muffler done, the muffler man told me to get a bigger pipping that the stock one. so.. i guess i have a bigger pipe than 2.25".. if that is the stock size..

pinoyesv6
03-30-2005, 09:57 PM
if you do have bigger than stock then you probably have 2.5", which is the same size piping as the megan racing exhuast.

if that first line is true. then you again, won't see that much of a difference from the megan racing exhaust and what you have now.

neel9
03-30-2005, 10:00 PM
ok than never mind.. cause my main concern is that when i rev it up.. it sounds nice but damm when its slows down then the rpm drops fast and seems like i am losing power or something.. i might not make sense but.. not sure .. how to explain it..

pinoyesv6
03-30-2005, 10:12 PM
it sounds nice but damm when its slows down then the rpm drops fast and seems like i am losing power or something.. i might not make sense but.. not sure .. how to explain it..

do you really need engine power when your slowing down??

neel9
03-30-2005, 10:18 PM
i just wanna exhaust to sound when it is slowing down.. but mine when i slow down does not make any noise but when idle yea it does..

01GalantLSV6
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM
i just wanna exhaust to sound when it is slowing down.. but mine when i slow down does not make any noise but when idle yea it does..

allo. my namo is jay-son. da reayson ur not gettin gud sound when u slo dwn is cuz our carz R automatric. manul cars make nice downshft revvy sounds but our cars do not cuz of the automatric.

Reelax
03-30-2005, 11:22 PM
i am so confused.

did the mufler shop replace all your piping from the cat back or did they just replace the part where your stock pipe meets the muffler? btw, please try harder to be clearer in your responses and be concise since i think you are confusing all of us at this point.

nickrivgalant
03-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Look @ my pics mine is a cat back system 2.50" 8) , I have really good pics check out www.coolcatmag.com click the article on the right small pick of the galant not the big pick.

BxGalant99
03-31-2005, 12:12 AM
hmm will the exhaust make a difference as far as power if u have a nitrous system ? and is it worth spending $500+ on a RIPP header and $350+ on the megan setup if u keep ur engine NA ?

neel9
03-31-2005, 02:08 AM
i am so confused.

did the mufler shop replace all your piping from the cat back or did they just replace the part where your stock pipe meets the muffler? btw, please try harder to be clearer in your responses and be concise since i think you are confusing all of us at this point.
hey they chnage the whole piping from the cat. ..!! but was wondering is what i have is ok or should i go with catback for performance?

03-31-2005, 03:35 AM

allo. my namo is jay-son. da reayson ur not gettin gud sound when u slo dwn is cuz our carz R automatric. manul cars make nice downshft revvy sounds but our cars do not cuz of the automatric. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Reelax
03-31-2005, 03:51 AM
i am so confused.

hey they chnage the whole piping from the cat. ..!! but was wondering is what i have is ok or should i go with catback for performance?

well if they changed all the piping from the cat back, then you already have a cat back system! getting another cat back system, either custom or premade, of the same pipe size, will not even be noticable since you are not modded enough to need more flow. now if you go forced induction w/ a turbo or supercharger, then you can upgrade your piping and go larger, but as it stands right now, you will not b able to tell ANY difference between a custom catback and a pre-made cat back. how many people does it take to tell you the EXACT same thing b4 you understand?

unless you have 350 or more hp...does it really matter? :roll: ...

I think what he saying is: He had custom piping done on his exhaust to accomodate his muffler and he wants to know how this compares to having a cat-back exhaust system. To answer your question The cat-back is better, but if you're not gonna do any other major mods to justify the opening up of the exhaust system then its not really cost effective

but yea, if the routing is the same between mandrel and press bent, and the pipe diameter is the same, with your mildy modified car, i doubt you're gonna feel a difference. if you do its probably a placebo caused by the amount of money you spend on the exhaust.

as for your revs dropping, if you want to keep your revs up when you are slowing down you should manually downshift. manuals can do this to keep up their revs up and/or make use of engine braking, but autos left in D basically go to neutral when you push the brake in to slow down significantly (and you are completely off the gas), like when you push in the clutch on a manual and/or take it out of gear (again off the gas). this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the exhaust system. now if you don't understand the difference between a manual and automatic transmission and how they work, then you need more help than any of us can give you.

neel9
03-31-2005, 08:12 AM
thankx

NYmagicstk
03-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I got a question now... What would the effects on my car be if I were to get like just a pipe from I guess the bottom of the headers to whatever kind of muffler. This would be instead of the stock pipe I have now, with what I'm guessing is the catalytic converter, and resonator(s)? I dunno. But going off the other guy...
nevermind, my basic question is what happens if you just reun pipe from the headers to the muffler? Can you do that? Is it legal in NY? Common sense would tell you that the airflow would be better, because there wouldn't be anything slowing it down except the muffler, right?
Sorry if I sound like a weetawd. Lol :dumbass: :thumbsup:

Lootrock
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, it isn't legal whatsoever. Catalytic converters are there for emmissions reasons. Also, this idea will make your car loud as fuck, and possibly make it shoot flames at some point. People do it all the time, but it wouldn't be necessary for us.

Censee
04-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Well, it isn't legal whatsoever. Catalytic converters are there for emmissions reasons. Also, this idea will make your car loud as fuck, and possibly make it shoot flames at some point. People do it all the time, but it wouldn't be necessary for us.plus u will probably throw a check engine light and car might run like shit.....

neel9
04-02-2005, 12:37 PM
putting on performance cats .. is that bad for smog checks or what??.. does it make a difference if we keep the stock cat or get a performance one? .. i guess sound louder but that it.. right!!

Censee
04-02-2005, 12:50 PM
putting on performance cats .. is that bad for smog checks or what??.. does it make a difference if we keep the stock cat or get a performance one? .. i guess sound louder but that it.. right!!

i have a hi flow cat,,and to be honest i dont feel any gain,,,,i think its just not worth it....

pinoyesv6
04-02-2005, 06:46 PM
neel. if you are woried about emissions. don't touch any part of the exhaust from the cat and forward. that means don't touch the cat, the downpipe or the exhaust manifolds.

cali has one of the strictest emissions laws in the country and personally, i don't want to hear u cry aobut u getting pulled over by a cop or failing inspection because u took out the oem cats and replaced it with a resonator on ebay cuz u thought it was a "high flow cat"

neel9
04-02-2005, 09:39 PM
i already have a espilier muffler and a custom piping done to it so.,. a 2.5"'.. finally i got to know.. so..is it going to be a problem having these 2 things too?

SkylineG1
04-03-2005, 01:31 AM
If your car is automatic, I don't think you'll get as loud a growl as with manual tranny.

Censee
04-03-2005, 01:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>i already have a espilier muffler and a custom piping done to it so.,. a 2.5"'.. finally i got to know.. so..is it going to be a problem having these 2 things too?</div>

yes if u have a hi flo cat and a 2.5 inch catback,,ure car will explode when it hits 90k miles.......,,,,,,,neel i think u are very paranoid,,,lol,, dont worry bro nothing will happen to your car......lol..

SkylineG1
04-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Does any company produce hi flow cats for the 8G, and if so who and how much?

Censee
04-03-2005, 01:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does any company produce hi flow cats for the 8G, and if so who and how much?</div> i dunno i got a universal one by catco,,,,,at local shop here

SkylineG1
04-03-2005, 01:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does any company produce hi flow cats for the 8G, and if so who and how much?</div> i dunno i got a universal one by catco,,,,,at local shop here</div>

I'll check wit the local muffler shop. Thanx Cencee.

Johnathansgalant
04-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Sup,
I actually noticed a difference in rpms also.. with the megan racing catback i believe i lost a small bit of off the line torque although it was already slow. Believe it or not i use to be able to chirp a little if i punched it with the stock exhaust. I uped to the catback from megan racing which sounds great and u can hear the down shifting pretty well but now i feel a good difference in the high end power and i have great response over like 40 or so mph. My down shifts are normal till 3 to second and then it seems to slow down a little bit faster than normal. I dunno if this is what your talking about but if it is i notice it too. My piping is 2.5 in though and it is a catback exhaust not custom piping hench just flanges and bends all the way back.. pics at http://members.cardomain.com/johnnyr555 ('http://members.cardomain.com/johnnyr555')