PDA

View Full Version : CF vs FG (couldn't find it in search)

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 12:59 AM
<span style='color:blue'>O.k. I'm looking to buy a hood, spoiler, and bodykit. I know they don't make CF bodykits, so I won't ask. however, exactly what are the main differences between CF and FG? other than material, I think it's mainly weight right? Which is stronger? Since they both look the same painted (from what I'm told), which would be better for me to get?
I have a silver car, and the CF look wouldn't go with my color scheme. </span>

krispy03
04-03-2005, 01:02 AM
refuse to do a search?
i think you might start getting some warnings

SkylineG1
04-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Search young padawan, search.

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 01:38 AM
<span style='color:blue'> They'll give me a warning for refusing to do a search!? That's absurd. This is a forum, not a search engine. We all should be able to discuss subjects no matter how many times they've been posted. Shit, how many times do the news stations say the same ol' stuff. Fuck a damn search. Freedom of speech. </span>

Reelax
04-03-2005, 01:54 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'> They'll give me a warning for refusing to do a search!? That's absurd. This is a forum, not a search engine. We all should be able to discuss subjects no matter how many times they've been posted. Shit, how many times do the news stations say the same ol' stuff. Fuck a damn search. Freedom of speech. </span>

haha, people keep saying there is freedom of speech here... sorry that doesn't apply. this board is a private domain. it costs money to run this board, therefore the people that run it can choose to do whatever they want and refuse service to whomever they want. you do not have the right to free speech here. there are rules that you must abide by in order to keep this place from being chaotic. this board is not a democracy nor is it a free country, so don't count on that defense. since you refuse to do a search, you will undoubtably miss answers and information that may b crucial to any decisions you plan on making; your loss, not ours.

SkylineG1
04-03-2005, 01:59 AM
[quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'> They'll give me a warning for refusing to do a search!? That's absurd. This is a forum, not a search engine. We all should be able to discuss subjects no matter how many times they've been posted. Shit, how many times do the news stations say the same ol' stuff. Fuck a damn search. Freedom of speech. </span>

haha, people keep saying there is freedom of speech here... sorry that doesn't apply. this board is a private domain. it costs money to run this board, therefore the people that run it can choose to do whatever they want and refuse service to whomever they want. you do not have the right to free speech here. there are rules that you must abide by in order to keep this place from being chaotic. this board is not a democracy nor is it a free country, so don't count on that defense. since you refuse to do a search, you will undoubtably miss answers and information that may b crucial to any decisions you plan on making; your loss, not ours.

:approve:

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 03:36 AM
<span style='color:blue'> Well, I did a search, and got the result I wanted... NOTHING! I typed in "CF vs FG or Carbon Fiber vs Fiber glass" and got a shitload of posts that had nothing to do with either CF or FG. That's why I refuse to do searches. Not because I "want to miss any info". For your information, I usually look at past post up to a year old when I'm bored just to see if there is anything interesting I could learn. Why are a lot of you mods quick to judge someone? What do I have to pay to have a say so in this Forum? Who do I have to fuck... um... oops - kill to be in charge?</span>
<span style='color:green'>(That last line is a joke for those of you who can't read sarcasm) Lol</span>

peanotation
04-03-2005, 05:39 AM
this isn't complicated. they don't make fiberglass hoods (for our cars), so you have to get a CF one, and they don't make CF body kits (for our cars) so you you have to get a fiberglass or fiberglass composite one. CF and fiberglass both hold paint well if prepped properly.

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 05:49 AM
C'mon Peano, I thought you knew more than me. :wink: I've seen Fiberglass hoods. I knew about the bodykits.
Forget it, that's not important.
ok, revised questions;
1)Which holds up better as far as hoods go?
2)Which holds up better as far as spoilers go?
3)Which is lighter?
4)What costs more?

Censee
04-03-2005, 10:10 AM
cf is stronger,,,,,but i dont think bumpers in cf is a good idea,,,,,,if u crack it,,,whihc most likely u will,,,its will be almost impossible to fix.....cf is mostly just fiberglass underneath,,with a cf mat/weave,,on top of it with some resin,,,,thats all most of the cf that is sold is,,,,,almost never trully real cf....

krispy03
04-03-2005, 11:35 AM
ok, revised questions;
1)Which holds up better as far as hoods go? hoodpins
2)Which holds up better as far as spoilers go? screws or bolts
3)Which is lighter? not having one at all
4)What costs more? importing one

pinoyesv6
04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
this isn't complicated. they don't make fiberglass hoods (for our cars), so you have to get a CF one, and they don't make CF body kits (for our cars) so you you have to get a fiberglass or fiberglass composite one. CF and fiberglass both hold paint well if prepped properly.

actually they do make fiberglass hoods for the 8g. erebuni came out with the first aftermarket hood for the 8g and it was a fiberglass hood. since then there have been a few variations of that hood by many manufacturers.

CF will stand up to heat better than FG also. the thing is, like censee said, most of the CF hoods out there are just FG hoods with a layer of CF on the outside.

galantv600
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
good one krispy https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

just go with CF... you'll be happy you did it...

krispy03
04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
i could be a real nice guy and do the search for you or be a dick about it. depends on how one is approched.

Slow Poke
04-03-2005, 01:21 PM
cf stands up better i herd fiber glass fades.. has for a wing just leave the stock one.. for body kit fiber glass or w/e there all made out of.. u can try to find a useathen one good luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Reelax
04-03-2005, 01:26 PM
[quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'> Well, I did a search, and got the result I wanted... NOTHING! I typed in "CF vs FG or Carbon Fiber vs Fiber glass" and got a shitload of posts that had nothing to do with either CF or FG. That's why I refuse to do searches. Not because I "want to miss any info". For your information, I usually look at past post up to a year old when I'm bored just to see if there is anything interesting I could learn. Why are a lot of you mods quick to judge someone? What do I have to pay to have a say so in this Forum? Who do I have to fuck... um... oops - kill to be in charge?</span>
<span style='color:green'>(That last line is a joke for those of you who can't read sarcasm) Lol</span>

quick to judge? no you are the one who titled this thread "(refuse to search)" then changed the title to "(could not find in search)". i don't have to make any quick judgement when you admit that you don't want to search then change the title and edit your own post to leave no trace of the challenge you made to the moderator staff. you called us out, i responded. luckily i don't edit other's posts or delete anything (besides accidental reposts). i don't believe in censorship nor do abuse my authority, but i will warn members for getting out of line. have you ever gotten any warnings from me? i don't give many out, i mean you really gotta b out of line to get one from me.

Lazarus
04-03-2005, 04:47 PM
I guess I'll have to speak fro teh other side of the spectrum. personally I like Carbonfiber but I think Fiberglass is the better choice. Sure Carbonfiber looks nice but as some member s know it turns like a yellowish orange color sometimes. then what are you gonna do go out and buy another hood, or paint it. What happens if it gets scratched or chipped. you gotta go out and get another hood or fix it and paint it Personally I dont wanna put anything on my car anymore that has to be replaced because if...well for me...WHEN something happens to it I can't have it repaired to look as good as it did the day i bought it

Cali
04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
wow i feel like im back in 1999. 8)

Lazarus
04-03-2005, 08:36 PM
wow i feel like im back in 1999.

i thin it's Krispy's de Lorean it has that effect on people

NYmagicstk
04-03-2005, 11:57 PM
<span style='color:blue'>Quick note to reelax: The only reason I changed my title, is because I actually tried a search, not because I was trying to cover my tracks. Just cause you don't belive in censorship or abuse of power doesn't mean that there aren't mods who do. Some will lock your post quicker than flies on shit if they feel it has been spoken about already. I mean, can't we all just discuss stuff like ladies and gentlemen, even if it is old? Some people like to talk just to keep them selves busy.

To Krispy: Thanx for offering a search for me, but this post ended up basically giving me the opinions I wanted, with a some extra info too. I think I'll go with a FG hood, and paint it because "most CF hoods are FG with CF on top of them", and I'll get a FG spoiler of Aluminum one (depending on the style) and paint that. My car didn't come with the oem spoiler, and since my pop has that spoiler on his car, I wanted a different one, so our cars look totally different.
Thanx all for the info. I'm going to stop watching this now, but will check it later in time to see what else gets posted.</span>

krispy03
04-04-2005, 12:02 AM
in that case get a VIS hood real good quality. a little on the priecy side but worth it.