PDA

View Full Version : Shitty AC = low Refrigerant?

Jet Black
04-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Well my question is a bit diffrent from Neel's. My AC does work, though it seems to work pretty bad, especially under hot weather. Now I remeber manybrews saying a long time ago that the AC's effeciency is cut by 50% (or somewhere around there) when ambient temp is really high.

Now does everyone else experience this? My mom's '94 Carolla's AC runs SUPER cold, even during really hot days. So do our ACs suck, or is my refrigerant running low?

pinoyesv6
04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
get your refridgerant looked at. the pressure might be low.

Faction
04-07-2005, 09:11 PM
You need a recharge!! I just did my galant's a/c system last weekend. I have guages and cans of r134

NYmagicstk
04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Where can I get mine looked at? Pep boys? or do I have to go to the dealer?

Faction
04-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Expensive everywhere else. I bought a guage kit complete with fittings and steel braided hoses, top notch and costed about $90. r134 refrigerant? $5. Dealers would charge you a shit load. Also the guages have a booklet telling you how much pressure should be reading, such as being low you need more coolant, being too much theres eithe something wrong with the compressor or too much refridgerant

2000GTZ
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
i remember something about the cabin filter in the glove compartment has something to do with this. then again, i remember only certain years have this. i forget. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Jet Black
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Well looks like I will go ahead and recharge the R134.

i remember something about the cabin filter in the glove compartment has something to do with this. then again, i remember only certain years have this. i forget. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Cabin filter might affect airflow, but probably not temp of the air too much (albeit that decreased airflow due to dirt or whatever = high pressure = higher temps)