PDA

View Full Version : quick question

ryans99es2.4
04-09-2005, 02:28 PM
hey guys i was just wondering what size socket you use for the oil plug on our 8gs? i'm tired of stripping them. i've gone through two and i don't want to do it anymore. i usually use 9/11th's i think, it fits, but the plug doesn't move but the tool does, essentially rounding out the hex on the plug even vice grip pliers wouln't work. should i use standard or metric? hit me back up.

Jet Black
04-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Thats a great question. I stripped my stuff as well. Had to get the whole oil pan replaced.

Dont they sell something like an oil bleeder valve that you can replace that bolt with? That make life 100x easier.

NYmagicstk
04-09-2005, 04:29 PM
<span style='color:blue'>Yeah, pep boys sell the bleeder valve. Also, if y'all get something called "Gator Grip" it works great on your oil plug, however... DO NOT TRY TO USE IT TO TIGHTEN YOUR WHEEL LUGS. I almost killed me and my brother. the gator grip will grab on to any size bolt, nut, even wing nuts, but it isn't good for torque, like when you tighten your wheel lugs. My damn wheels almost fell off at last years mitsuday @ english town. Lucky for me there were a few TGCers there who had a jack and the proper tools to tighten my shit. I don't remember their names, But thanx guys.</span>
:8G:

ryans99es2.4
04-09-2005, 04:31 PM
nevermind guys, it's 11/16's i made sure i used a big rachet to make it easier on me. thanks anyway. now to clean up :oops:

DOHCstunr
04-09-2005, 04:50 PM
you are stripping the plug because its a metric plug, as are just about every bolt on your mitsubishi.

the correct answer is 17mm

your sockets are probably 12 point sockets if you bought a cheap set.
get a good set of metric 6 point sockets, and you won't strip any more bolts.

craftsman has small sets for cheap, or you can go to home depot and get a decent set of husky sockets. for 15 bucks they have every socket you will likely need.
ones you have to have are 12mm 10mm 14mm 17mm 8mm and thats about it for your normal maintenance work.

also, its better to use a wrench for your oil plug. 17mm