PDA

View Full Version : Brakez Squeeekking...

LaDyGaLaNt
10-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Help? My brakez Squeek everytime I press on em' when I drive. I have a 2001 Galant, my huzband haz a 2002 and so doez my brother, and all our brakez squeek. What iz the problem and what can I do? I want to change them, but I don't know what I should be looking for or where I should be looking? If anyone one haz a suggestion, please help a sista' out. Thanx https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

TJC
10-09-2002, 03:08 AM
galantblue just brought his in on a TSB and they installed or replaced some shims and the brake squeaks went away. I'm guessing it's the thin metal shims that go behind the brake pads. I had a tutorial on help with getting rid of brake squeaks somewhere..... will try to find for you too. Meanwhile, call your dealer and see about that fix.

Auto-9
10-09-2002, 12:30 PM
By the way...how can you tell whether the squeal is from normal operations or if the brakes need to be serviced...

Big H Killa
10-09-2002, 12:44 PM
Trust me if you need your breaks serviced you definetly will know. To get rid of the squell you can try getting this stuff from Discount Auto Parts it's like 5.00 bucks a can and you only need one. All you gotta do is take this stuff in the can and spray it on the brake pads and rotor and drive it around some so the stuff sokes in and the squell should be gone but if it doesn't go away then you probably need new pads.

pinoyesv6
10-09-2002, 04:19 PM
it could jsut be that your brakes are dirty. i just buy a 99 cent bottle of brake cleaner and when i wash my car, i spray the rotors and the calipers with it. and then wash it off with a hose...does the trick

Nick VR4
10-10-2002, 06:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>By the way...how can you tell whether the squeal is from normal operations or if the brakes need to be serviced...</div>

If your car has it
You should see a warning light on the dashboard

Big H Killa
10-10-2002, 08:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick VR4)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>By the way...how can you tell whether the squeal is from normal operations or if the brakes need to be serviced...</div>

If your car has it
You should see a warning light on the dashboard</div>

That's not necesarily tru Nick. I had an entire pad fall off the bracket and it was grinding on the rotor and no warning light ever came on for me so the warning light doesn't always come on.

LatinGalant
10-10-2002, 08:36 AM
this sound is a problem with all galants and eclipses. I have a 2002 galant es I4 and my stepmom's daughter has a 2001 eclipse GS I4 and hers also squeel. I will be ordering new rotor (Brembo) and Brake pads I forgot the names and I will update you all on the status of my brakes after the change. I think it's just the quality and parts for the brakes that Mitsu uses.

Gilhuly
10-10-2002, 11:00 AM
Brake squeeking, like any sound is vibration. Deaden the vibration - no squeek. In order to get rid of the squeek I would remove the wheels and the brake Calipers, pull the pads out of the caliper, check for wear (if you have less than .2in left get new pads) and spray brake quiet (available in any auto parts store) which is a gluey, tacky spray that you spray on the BACKS of the pads(this is different than the product Tiller describes). The tacky consistency of the product kills vibration/sound. There is a brake tutorial on TGC somewhere I believe. If not there is one on club 3G.

LatinGalant
10-10-2002, 12:03 PM
I too have a 2002 mitsu galant i4 w/abs, and I found out that our brakes are completley differenct specs from and previous year galant, this in turn makes it difficult for us to use the information that has been provided because the parts for our cars are rare on the aftermarket seen. I am currently trying to fix my horrible brakes after months of crappy performance, shimmying in the steering wheel when braking and squeeling you can hear 10 miles away. I need to locate rotors and pads that are at decent cost, I am not looking for Ferrari style brake rotors or pads just something of quality at a resonable price.