PDA

View Full Version : Think I finally corrected that stuttering thing I had

brandon
04-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Well over the past couple years I've been posting about a stuttering/jerking problem I've had in this forum... and I think I finally might have figured it out yesterday.

Noticed on Saturday (why I didn't figure this out before is beyond me) that the stuttering/jerking occurred only under high vacuum (18+ in/lbs), so I decided I'd try a vacuum leak test yesterday.

Turned the car on and was just about ready to start spraying the hoses and noticed a loud clicking I'd always assumed was the lifters... find out it's coming from one of the solenoids (EGR or EVAP?? the one on the left when facing the engine bay).

Swapped the solenoids and bracket from my junk Galant and hooked up the vaccum hoses again... took it out for a drive last night and this morning and it seems to be gone.

Just thought I'd share!

icEbErg629
04-12-2005, 08:50 AM
post pics of where the solenoid is as I might have the same problem

seth98esT
04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
EGR is on the lower intake manifold under the throttle body, not sure where the EVAP is. Is your car jerking under partial boost? Or just stuttering throughout the RPM band? My talon jerks sometimes under partial boost, I think my injectors need cleaned.

brandon
04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Did this quickly in paint:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411887_42_full.jpg

Must be EVAP or something else... something emissions related I'd assume. Not sure how it would affect vacuum but like I mentioned, so far so good.

Jerking only occurred at RPM around 2000 and under, and only under high vacuum (usually 20 in/lbs or more).