PDA

View Full Version : NEED OPINIONS ON MAACO

shashivr4
04-13-2005, 06:18 PM
My car is almost preped and ready to be painted. A friend of mine who works at a body shop is doing it on the side. However he has no painting experience and I need someone to paint it. Local body shops gave me estimates close to $2000 and Maaco is about half that to paint the entire car (doorjams and all). Has anyone had experince with Maaco. If so, would you recommend them or not. I need general information on paint quality and the longevity of the job they did. I know that all Maacos are not the same but I am looking for general thoughts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Serstylz2
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
my friend got his Altezzas, interior, and fake CF mirrors painted at Maaco. Although the paint didnt stick to rubber from the interior well, the tails and mirrors came out GREAT. I recommend.

Lazarus
04-13-2005, 06:37 PM
IMO Maaco is Garbage. I am yet to see a good quality paintjob come out of there. Orange peel like a mofo

cardude03
04-13-2005, 06:40 PM
i know neel got his body work and paint done at maaco and he loves it. i saw the car in person, couldnt tell it had any work done to it. and peano just got his car painted from maaco, very sexy blue color, so those are two guys u can ask, who have actual experience with maaco. i think both of them will say they are pretty good.

Serstylz2
04-13-2005, 06:42 PM
maybe it depends on the area you get it done, seems to me

MidNightRacing
04-13-2005, 06:47 PM
ive heard u could use spray paint cans and get a macco paint job urself

eatyourkix
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
we call Maaco "Flako" here...

paint job sucks ass. i do not reccomend them at all. i think i would only use Maaco to just paint over messed up parts of the car before i sold it.

Jet Black
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
IMO Maaco is Garbage. I am yet to see a good quality paintjob come out of there. Orange peel like a mofo

Well Peano got his done at Maaco, and from the pics it came out pretty good. Though then again, it was freshly painted. Either way, I don't see how they could fuck up a paint job if you do all the prep work. I mean after that, its just spraying a few coats every few hours.

Dont get me wrong, I've heard nothing but shit about Maaco (even Peano never really said if he was happy or not with his job ~ i think it looked pretty damn nice).

bluediamonds
04-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I had Maaco fiberglass some flaws in my body kit and paint/fill the seams and it turned out better than I thought it would. I had it done in December so you can see that it is still glossy. I get alot of compliments by other auto painters about how good it looks and I'm alittle hesitant about telling them where I got it done at.... They're suprised when they find out. Just make sure that they prep it good
Here's my cardomain page, see for yourself:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/616104/1 ('http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/616104/1')

01GalantLSV6
04-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Maaco's are franchised. so, some will be good, some will be bad. my suggestion is to find some reviews from the maaco that you would be using. the service greatly varies from one maaco to another.

neel9
04-13-2005, 07:41 PM
i crashed my passenger side and they fixd everything for 800$ .. and now u see the car no one feels like it has ben hit.. this price included everything with fixing it to coloring.. so.. i have great experience so.. got about 5 cars done there and could not be more happy.. go for it in my opinion

Serstylz2
04-13-2005, 07:44 PM
hey neel.. maybe I'll have them paint my Integra lip i ordered last night 8) yea i had to bite off of you, it looked too good not to.

neel9
04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
hey Serstylz2.. u will be happy with it belive me.. my aim was to keep my progress springs and make the car look loww without getting a huge body kit no spending $$$ for teins.... i luv mine and i m thinking to buy on more just incase i breeak it.. keep in stock

Serstylz2
04-13-2005, 08:02 PM
those progress springs didnt drop ur car much huh? you got stock struts?

neel9
04-13-2005, 08:04 PM
it did and i have stock shocks... i thin i am sagging as my shocks are blown but like the lo ride so.. and by the way i painted my lip.. u can do it yourself.. man body shop will charge u an arm and a leg for that small shit..

str8304
04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I have gotten a lot of stuff painted at Maaco and have yet to have any problems, but as far as getting a whole car painted, i don't know. My sister had her whole car painted, but i think it depends of the actual store you go to. Some may be good and some may be bad.

8G_GTZ
04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
i think it does depend on the location, but more importantly the experience of the person who is doing it(pay them extra on the side..lol). also another important factor is the color choice. i've seen MANY colors come out of there, and whites, blacks, yellows, and some reds come out shitty. chose a good color man and make sure they take their time. maybe pay them extra to wetsand inbetween coats? it's always about the money man.

Steve

Jet Black
04-13-2005, 11:05 PM
those progress springs didnt drop ur car much huh? you got stock struts?

Given time, stock struts lower the car further than aftermarket.

Censee
04-13-2005, 11:39 PM
all the cars ive seen painted at macco here are garbage,,,flakes,over spray,drips,not enough clear,,and just plain garbage,,,,

peanotation
04-14-2005, 12:58 AM
maybe it depends on the area you get it done, seems to me

completely true. the maaco in san diego is a perfect representation of all the horror stories. shitty paint jobs to the max. but the maaco up here where i got painted has great results. its NOT perfect, there are flaws in the paint, but you can't tell unless you're looking over it for hours like me in my garage. if you are just admiring the car in the parking lot with your buddies, no one can tell. it depends heavily on the area.

go to your maaco and look at all the cars they just finished and see if you like it. my paint job came with a 4 year warranty so if it flakes or starts chipping i'm "technically" covered. maaco is a franchise so each one is different.

Faction
04-14-2005, 08:01 PM

MAACO here in jacksonville SUCKS

digital_ripper04
04-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Well I can tell you my experience I just had with Maaco in Utah. I was just in a accident and needed my bumbper painted, dents taken out, and a new light. The guy that hit me worked there so he did it on his down time. I must say HE did VERY GOOOOD WORK and I was very surprised. It did take a LOOONG time to complete the job but that was cause he w as doing it on his spare time.

Jet Black
04-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Well I can tell you my experience I just had with Maaco in Utah. I was just in a accident and needed my bumbper painted, dents taken out, and a new light. The guy that hit me worked there so he did it on his down time. I must say HE did VERY GOOOOD WORK and I was very surprised. It did take a LOOONG time to complete the job but that was cause he w as doing it on his spare time.

I say the longer the better.

Good paints jobs can take up to a few months to complete.

Strahan
04-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Maaco did my Shadow when it was in an accident. They had a pretty bad run on the trunk and in about four-five months the paint was flaking off the front. Wasn't too impressed. Oh yea, and they didn't clean my interior. There was a haze of paint dust all over everything, took forever to clean it up.

laosboyroy
04-15-2005, 11:37 PM
ive had a few peels on mine. Just take it back and theyll repaint the area though :wink:

GEMINITHUG
04-17-2005, 02:32 PM
i was just thinking of getting my bumper painted at maaco next saturday
ill let you know how it goes and maybe post pics. living here in NYC i have to repaint that thing every summer, damn people dont know how to park without hitting you :evil:

pvu_rida
04-17-2005, 02:34 PM
maaco does a pretty good job, when i got rear ended, they painted my back bumper for about 175 and it came out pretty good

digital_ripper04
04-17-2005, 09:02 PM

I say the longer the better.

Good paints jobs can take up to a few months to complete.

LMAO, it was about 4 inches long and a inch wide haha it shouldnt have taken that long

DrunKenG
04-29-2012, 01:55 AM
How's your Maaco paint jobs now for those who had their rides done through Maaco?

oakrdrs187
04-29-2012, 03:40 AM
Ive only seen one job, and it was decent for a black car.

tamim13
04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
How's your Maaco paint jobs now for those who had their rides done through Maaco?

Check my garage, it has pictures of before and after a Maaco paint job. It was decent, though you need to keep the car clean after that (wash it regular and wax it once in a way). The paint does start peeling if they miss clear coating something. Go for the $1000 paint job not the base one, makes a big difference.

Also each branch is different (franchise), so they are owned and operated by individuals. You have to find a good one. Check the reviews and then go. Also the newer ones are always better than the older ones. They used to use Dupont, now they use Sherwin Williams paints, if I remember right.

carl3g
04-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Check my garage, it has pictures of before and after a Maaco paint job. It was decent, though you need to keep the car clean after that (wash it regular and wax it once in a way). The paint does start peeling if they miss clear coating something. Go for the $1000 paint job not the base one, makes a big difference.

Also each branch is different (franchise), so they are owned and operated by individuals. You have to find a good one. Check the reviews and then go. Also the newer ones are always better than the older ones. They used to use Dupont, now they use Sherwin Williams paints, if I remember right.

This. I got a buddy who manages a Maaco and some of the cars he's done are trophy winners at car shows.

This other guy I shoot the breeze with at a local 7/11 also works at a different Maaco and the quality his store does is satisfactory at most. Its a hit and miss basically.

IVORY_G
04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
This. I got a buddy who manages a Maaco and some of the cars he's done are trophy winners at car shows.

This other guy I shoot the breeze with at a local 7/11 also works at a different Maaco and the quality his store does is satisfactory at most. Its a hit and miss basically.

True. I've seen bad jobs and one good one. So its a gamble

johnygezony
04-29-2012, 11:48 AM
jesus this thread goes back a ways