PDA

View Full Version : Direct Hits Ignition upgrade

Messiah
10-09-2002, 06:58 AM
Apparently, it's only available for the 4G64 and the lancer

if this thing increases my low-end torque by just a little bit, it might be worth it. What do you guys think?

http://www.directhits.com ('http://www.directhits.com')

Fishboy55
10-09-2002, 08:04 AM
I've heard bad things about these. They seem to be along the same lines as the Nology "Hot wires" which were completely disproven in Circle Track magazine. These use the same technology, with a ground lead that connects to the negative battery terminal and capacitors that fit over your spark plugs.

Here's what Magnecor had to say about this technology from an electrical standpoint. "In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground. Currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM."

I'd rank these right along with the Tornado thing for your intake. Save your money.

Chip

Messiah
10-10-2002, 12:45 AM
Good stuff Chip!!
What about MSD or Jacobs Electronic Ignition system. I'm trying to find a way to increase low end torque...and boosting is not an option at the moment.

TJC
10-10-2002, 01:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'>Good stuff Chip!!
What about MSD or Jacobs Electronic Ignition system. Â*I'm trying to find a way to increase low end torque...and boosting is not an option at the moment.</div>

I/H/E, plugs, wires, super light wheels, choosing a new tire size that is smaller in total circumference are some things that are good for torque.

Like Chip says, just stay away from Direct Hits and Nology kind of stuff.