PDA

View Full Version : Painting trim pieces.

BxGalant99
04-14-2005, 03:15 PM
ok. ive never done this before so help me out a little.
i need to know what kinda sand papper i need, where i can get it, what kinda paint i need and where i can get it. and also what color u think looks good on a silver 8G. ive seen some1 paint em blue..and i dont know if i like it.

quicksilver22
04-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Click here and look ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/search.php')

Look in the Members' Rides section, and Cardomain for ideas

search on the site w/ the link above about Painting Trip Pieces, and you'll find all your answers.

GL

mrjaydeeone
04-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I have a silver galant with black and grey interior
and I am going to be painting all my trim silver soon

BxGalant99
04-14-2005, 05:44 PM
dont tell me to search. if it bothers u DONT READ. either help me or get off my nuts.
i hear this crap all the time... SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH.
if all we did was search thsi forum would be dead.
NEXT.

Jet Black
04-14-2005, 06:18 PM
dont tell me to search. if it bothers u DONT READ. either help me or get off my nuts.
i hear this crap all the time... SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH.
if all we did was search thsi forum would be dead.
NEXT.

Dude seriously go do a search. And be a bit more nice to him. He gave great advice. I did a search and found 3 threads on this same subject that had 20+ posts.

cardude03
04-14-2005, 07:54 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...&highlight=trim ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=33039&highlight=trim')

pinoyesv6
04-14-2005, 10:41 PM
you know. sometimes there are special cases where people just need their questions answered. by looking at the orignal post. this guy obviously doesn't know where to buy sandpaper or paint so he's gonna need a lil bit more help than others so i took the duty of helping him out

i need to know what kinda sand papper i need,
you are going to need a variety of sandpaper. from the rough stuff to prep the surface for paint and gradually working up to the ultra fine stuff to get rid of the orange peel and mild imperfections in the paint

where i can get it,
at the store. its usually in the paint section.

what kinda paint i need
you need paint that is compatible with the pieces you want to paint. this paint must also be in the color you wish to paint your interior. im not gonna tell you which exact kind to get since i don't know what kind of look you want ot achieve. certain types of spray paints work, paints from a can work, them tectured paint works, hell i know for sure finger paint works. there are millions of different paints out there you just like i said have to make sure its in the color you want and it is compatible with the pieces you want to paint. test the paint out in an inconsicuous place before painting your pieces. the last thing you want is hte paint not to stick and ruin all your pieces or even worse melt or damage it.

where i can get it.
the paint store would be one place. but yea there are dozens of stores in your local town or city that have paint departments where you can purchase paint. big chain stores like walmart and kmart have them, arts and crafts stores, the hardware store, the grocery sotre, the auto parts store.

Jet Black
04-14-2005, 11:30 PM
In regards to the first two questions:

Generally the higher the grit # on the sandpaper, the shinnier/nicer your paint will come out. First start working with something low (I cant give you exact #s), and gradually work your way up.

And you can get it at any hardware store, AS well as any automotive store such as AutoZone.

BxGalant99
04-15-2005, 12:14 AM
u know what # of sandpapper i need to start out with ?
and do i need to sand the pieces around my door handles ?

pinoyesv6
04-15-2005, 12:19 AM
since my pieces had knicks and stuff in it, i started off with 220 and worked my way up. you can start with something rougher but that means more sanding. you can start off with something smoother but if you have imperfections in the piece, even before you paint, it'll probably still be seen when you are done.

NYmagicstk
04-16-2005, 07:13 PM
I agree, 220 grit was a good starting point. Although, I sort of rushed my paint job, cause I had to stunt for some girls, so my last coat of paint, and my clear coats were applied too soon. a lil ran, but overall it came out good.
Hey dude that wants to paint his shit... Advice: If you have a home depot, go there. They have hundreds of colors of paint. As for sand paper... do what I did. go to that section, and start with 220 grit, and get 1 pack of every # higher until you reach like 1000. Then Sand your ass off my brother. That is the hardest part of the whole process, and the most tedious. I'm so damn impatient, I was getting mad that my shit wasn't coming off as fast as I wanted it to. lastly TAKE YOUR FUCKING TIME. it might still look hot to everyone else, but you will always know where you messed up.

BxGalant99
04-16-2005, 11:55 PM
sounds good. rite now im looking for the GTZ carbon fiber pieces so im gonna give it another week or so. if i cant find anything by then ill do all the pieces...
thanks for the advice.

NYmagicstk
04-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Wow :shock: I didn't even know they had CF trim for the GTZ. You were talking about painting your trim silver, you could just get the silver trim from the 2002-2003 ES.

verywhite01
04-17-2005, 05:33 AM
Use krylon fusion paint you dont need sand paper, just paint and play.

BxGalant99
04-17-2005, 11:05 PM
i dont need to sand the pieces if i use that paint ?
how will the result be ? i dont wanna paint em and then have to sand em down again.
and yes the GTZ comes with factory CF pieces around the shifter, radio, and switch pannels on the doors.
im gonna make a run through the Hunts Point junk yards in the Bronx on tuesday and see if i can find something. I doubt it though...last time i needed a lower arm control it was lmost impossible finding it. i guess there are not too many crashed 8Gs out there.