PDA

View Full Version : Carputer part 2

Cheekz185
04-26-2005, 11:45 AM
OK guys. I have been studying this for a while now. I want to buy one very soon. I was looking at this setup:

Logic Supply OPUS mini-ITX Car System
- Operating System Windows XP Home - English
- Motherboard EPIA MII 12000 1.2Ghz
- Monitor Xenarc 700TSV 7" TFT LCD Display VGA Touchscreen - Silver
- Memory 512MB PC2100/DDR266 RAM
- Hard Disk 2.5" 60GB Samsung 5400rpm
- Color Black
- CD / DVD Drive TEAC DW-224E-93 Slimline CD-RW / DVD Combo
- Build and test Build and test this system
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.ph...products_id/256 ('http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/50/products_id/256')

But the only problem is...is that the cdrom is inside the case and i am going to put the case in th tunk. Is there anyway i can take out the cdrom and install the cdrom in my glove box or armrest? also what about this case:
http://www.logicsupply.com/images/systems/system3688M_big.jpg

Any possibilites a case can in in the glove box just like a ps2?

DryBear
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Maybe you can get a USB CD-ROM and run the USB cable from the front to the trunk.

pinoyesv6
04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
there are cases out htere that can fit in the glovebox. you might have to do some modding to the glovebox but it will fit. the big issue when you do that though is cooling. with theglovebox closed, the computer is just there baking in the glovebox. something to think about.

devgrp
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Why dont you put it under the front seat

Cheekz185
04-26-2005, 12:09 PM
thats what im prolly gunna do....put it under the front seat. But im gonna have to get a 2.5" slimline cd-rom and prolly put in in my armrest or glove box.

mrjaydeeone
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
pm GOOSEY2099
hell be able to help you out. I know he gets the net in his car with roadrunner

Chero2000
04-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Is there a purpose to putting a PC in your car?

So now you can go 0-60 in 5 seconds and log onto to TGC from anywhere on the road?? LMAO... :?

seth98esT
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Purpose of a PC, get rid of your cdplayer, use an indash or regular LCD. Store all your music on the hard drive, use it as a DVD player, use it for GPS, use it for Games(instead of PS2/Xbox/Consoles, you just get so much more use out of a PC in a car.

chromey
04-26-2005, 09:45 PM
goosey2099 has his carputer in the trunk and his cd-rom is mounted inside his glove compartment via usb cable. he'll def. be able to help u out. his carputer is cool as shit!!

Xrs2
04-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I have a modded XBOX with a 300 GB hardrive in my trunk. The only thing that it can't do that I want it too is control a Touchscreen LCD. The drivers just aren't there. It can play from the hardrive; xbox games, any and every emulated game, music, videos. Its a pretty sweet setup, and it wasn't much money either. I mean an xbox goes for 150 these days. Pretty much everything you need besides a mod chip (50 bucks) and a bigger hardrive (which you would have had to buy anyway). I had this one laying around. It may be more cost effective to get the xbox than build a real modular computer. I rip all my cds onto the hardrive, so its not bad with that. But when someones else wants to play a cd I dont have, I have to walk my ass to the trunk and pop it in. So you may be better off trying to take the xbox apart and cram it under your seat or something. I have like 50 gigs of music, so the general rule is, if I don't have it, you ain't listening to it. I have the xbox mounted on a tray, that you can pull it outta in the trunk. That way I can take it into places, or my house when I get home. Just had to buy an extra set of RCA cables. Wireless controllers work like a champ from the trunk. I wasnt sure if they would or not. I use Belkin. Its gay changing the batteries in the controllers tho. People never shut them off like they should.

I have heard of drivers, for an xbox (linux) to control GPS systems. I don't have one to play with, so I don't know which ones work or not. As for programs and stuff. You can install straight linux on the xbox if you have to. That will let you do whatever a PC can, as well as controll touchscreens. I just use a Dashboard replacement. Easier than installing linux.

Just trying to giving you a heads up and some info on a cheap alternative.

Brian

edit: ohh yeah btw the xbox is 733 mhz, and has onboard video and audio decompression. So it wont have a problem with that at all. It also plays DVDs. If you wnat more info on where to get a mod chip, which one to buy. I have pretty much played with and installed them all. The 300 GB hardrive is nice. I have like 50+ xbox games, and about 75 divx movies/tv shows/ect. Its not even close to half full. The xbox is pretty compact too. if you do get a modded one, get a blockbuster gamers pass. Rent as many games as you can and rip them to you hardrive. I have gotten like 3 a day, taking them back saying there not good games.

qnz
04-27-2005, 01:06 AM
you can just sit in the blockbuster lot and rip the game rite there in the lot. lol.

having a carputer has more bragging rights than just an xbox.

that case u showed is small enuff to fit in your glove box. and if youre not gonna use the optical drive in that case, why not get an even smaller case, (travela c134 i think its called) its small enuff to fin in your DIN. if youre competant enuff (which i dont think you are cuz you are ordering your computer from a website and asking them to build and test it for you) you can try to fabricate an optical drive into your mid console. theres enuff room there. and mold a screen into the dash too. c134 case in glove. less wires to run.

keep in mind, if you get rid of your stock radio, youre gonna need an anp to power ur speakers

Jet Black
04-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Also the XBOX can be modded for FREE.

Now I think about it, I think I might start looking into hooking up my modded box into the car. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Cheekz185
04-27-2005, 01:14 AM
hey qnz.....i got a whole system in my car....i dont have astock radio..all my speakers are running off my amps

GOOSEY2099
04-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Hey cheekz you can not order the cdrom and just buy it separate like I did. The dam thing was like $70 and the usb enclosure was $25 shipped. As far as mounting it all you need is 4 pieces of velcro/2way tape and it won't fall off. The answer to your original question is Yes it is a nice system. Also you have to take into consideration the heat problem. My case looks like swiss cheese because I drilled so many holes in it for ventilation, it has 3 fans and its still not enough. So those cases that you are looking at you probably have to drill the crap out of to keep it cool. I would do a little more research and look into some other solutions maybe a custom case or just wait another month and see my liquid cool system works out. If you have any questions just give me a call you should have my number by now.

Xrs2
04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
"having a carputer has more bragging rights than just an xbox."

Why, an xbox is a computer, that happens to be able to play games. The only thing a carputer has going for it, is its size, which isn't that much smaller than an xbox. The price is rediculous. I could build a comparably sized computer with better specs than that for hundreds of less dollars. And yes a touchscreen would work fine with it.

If you mod your xbox, it can do everything a PC can plus more. ie playing games.

GOOSEY2099
04-27-2005, 10:13 PM
"having a carputer has more bragging rights than just an xbox."

Why, an xbox is a computer, that happens to be able to play games. The only thing a carputer has going for it, is its size, which isn't that much smaller than an xbox. The price is rediculous. I could build a comparably sized computer with better specs than that for hundreds of less dollars. And yes a touchscreen would work fine with it.

If you mod your xbox, it can do everything a PC can plus more. ie playing games.

WoWoWo, I don't even play games on my computer. I use it for xm radio, 3 different types of gps navigation software, odb2 diagnostics, music, dvds, normal videos, and a f**kin calculator as oppose to an xbox which can't even do 1 of those things. So you might want to re-think that an xbox can compete in a pc world.

Xrs2
04-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Hahaha. A modded xbox running linux can do all of those things. I don't get what you mean? Have you ever used linux? A modded xbox is infcat just a PC. It will run any linux software package, which covers everything from calculators to 3d rendering software. I use linux on a daily basis. It has all that software and more.

wannabee
04-27-2005, 11:34 PM
I agree with u XRS i just wanted to know how did u hook up the xbox to the battery did u get a power invertor.. and if yes which one and from where i am thinking about putting the xbox under the front seat.. could you also tell me about the mod chip u used? was it aladin or some other chip...?
one more thing... to mount my xbox where can i get brackets... or the 2 sided tape is enough??? thanks in advance

GOOSEY2099
04-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Hahaha. A modded xbox running linux can do all of those things. I don't get what you mean? Have you ever used linux? A modded xbox is infcat just a PC. It will run any linux software package, which covers everything from calculators to 3d rendering software. I use linux on a daily basis. It has all that software and more. Yes I have used Linux in the past and right now I’m studying advanced Linux administration. The question is: can an xbox output vga quality video, and be just as flexible on software as windows. I don't want to wait 5 min for the dam thing to boot up either. But this conversation can go on for years because Linux people and windows people will Always disagree.

Xrs2
04-28-2005, 05:04 PM
I just soldered in the DC straight to the mainboard via a harness, after the powersupply. The xbox is like a computer and uses 12 volts, however it also has a power supply that converts your house 110 AC to dc. I just made a custome plug harness to connect them striaght together. Effectively bypassing the powersupply. The only reason I didn't remove it was so I could take it onto the house.

For a modchip go with a solderless one. If you have a new xbox which is 1.6 or 1.6B then you will have to get an XeniumICE with its new SPICE solderless adapter. I would recommend trading a new xbox to a buddy for an older 1.0-1.5. That will save you a hell lot of work. I have the XeniumICE and its pretty good. Easy install and not that expensive. I would stay away from spider chips, they claim to be solderless for the 1.6, but are not good.

To answer your question about Video Output via an xbox. Yes the xbox can output DVD spec. quality video. If you get the Hi-Def cables it will also output HI Definition video resolution (which is better than some regular DVD players for the home market)....it is a full spec DVD player via its onbaord hardware.

Reguarding your question about boot time. The boot time is just as long as an xbox's. Not that long really. Some of the larger programs take as long as they would on a PC via a 733 mhz CPU. You can buy xboxs with upgraded CPUs online. The matter is not linux or MS here. Because you can run Microsoft on your xbxo if you want. Windows CE can be run very smoothly and quickly actually. I am just saying that the hardware involved here is the same, and it is alot cheaper for about the same stuff. The only thing that isn't as good as your carputer, is the CPU, and maybe the optical drive. But either way if you rgonna use it to play movies, it will do it flawlessly, because thats what it was designed to do. I have about 50 divx movies on my xbox, and they are DVD quality. They look as good as DVDs, except the menus are missing. But you cant have everything for free ya know.

I am a computer programmer that works with the DOS, NT, and Linux platforms. The only thing you would have to work around is finding software. But it is there, and free.

wannabee
04-28-2005, 10:46 PM
I am a little confused about the power setup of yrs can u please post a pic or 2.. sorry just dumb at this.... thanks for the help on the mod chips n yeah i have an older version of xbox prob 1.3 not sure... it aint new for sure... peace!!!!!!!!

qnz
04-28-2005, 11:34 PM
xboxes can get outdated in a few yrs. theres a new xbox360 coming out at the end of the yr. but you can upgrade memory, mobo, or hd to keep your computer up to date

Xrs2
04-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I'll take a snapshot if I can get ahold of a digi camera. Pretty much anyone that ones anything about wiring can do it. Just have to put it inbetween the Power Supply and the Mainboard.