PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of UGLY CHROME trim on body?

Jet Black
04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Well title says it all. The chrome trim is in line with the wood grain interior trim and all (Mitsu was going for a Classy look obviously), though it begins to collide with other look mods when you start going for a more sportier appearance. What are your suggestions? And no electrical tape is not a solution (despite the fact that I had some of my trim covered up at the meet).

I know the DE trim 8G comes with stock black. Anyone know how much this costs?

cardude03
04-27-2005, 01:10 AM
i think greg (goandeatsomestuff) is planning on doing something about that also, on his black 8G, so see what he is up to, u might get some ideas....lol.

pinoyesv6
04-27-2005, 01:13 AM
The gtz gets rid of some of the chrome trim. thats another option

another option is paint.

neel9
04-27-2005, 01:34 AM
i have a black g and i have the wooden trims to.. hate themm so.. need suggestions

Goandeatsomestuff
04-27-2005, 01:45 AM
I've looked into this a little bit...

Paint isn't an option, since the trim is where it is and sees so much wear (window and door sills) the paint will just flake off, so it has to be an inherently black substance the trim is made out of.

Trim can be had at the Mitsu dealer, but (I haven't checked myself but i remember seeing a post around here) it runs around $60-80 per door which is straight up insane.

Personally, as soon as I get time I'm going to go junk yard diving and try to nab the trim off of a DE somewhere, since your local Jet Black and neel maybe we can go together...

As for the interior trim, you can just paint that no problem. There's a few tutorials just search. iirc you don't even need to sand, just spray whatever color you want.

neel9
04-27-2005, 02:02 AM
i am down for it.. are there any junkyards here where they have some galant parts... ??

Goandeatsomestuff
04-27-2005, 02:08 AM
there's a thread with local junkyards in the West Coast forums...should still be on the first page.

mrjaydeeone
04-27-2005, 02:24 AM
I believe the trim around the top can just be pulled off
I forgot who did it on here

I found this pic..this is Rodt if you look the trim on the top part of the doors was removed if I am not mistaken
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/cardude03/MOD05/IMG_1121.jpg

BGR
04-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Agreeing with Pinoy above, I believe the GTZ has black on top of the doors as a distinguishing feature separating it from the other models - besides the word galant on the rear doors like the LS.

cardude03
04-27-2005, 11:53 AM
well here is a pic of theblackpearl's car, and u can see that the trim that goes along the windshield and roof is missing, and it didnt look too good, cuz u could see the little white things that i assume hold it on, maybe its just cuz his car is lighter so it stands out more, im not sure, but i dont think just taking them off is the best option.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/cardude03/MOD05/IMG_1134.jpg

neel9
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
by see next to blackpearls car.. is mine and i guess i have black so..

DryBear
04-27-2005, 11:59 AM
well here is a pic of theblackpearl's car, and u can see that the trim that goes along the windshield and roof is missing, and it didnt look too good, cuz u could see the little white things that i assume hold it on, maybe its just cuz his car is lighter so it stands out more, im not sure, but i dont think just taking them off is the best option.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/cardude03/MOD05/IMG_1134.jpg

They are not talking about the roof gutter moulding strip - they are talking about the chrome molding around the door windows...

If you look at Neels car, you can see the chrome around the windows more clearly - compare that to Rods car where the trim is black and only the bottom of the window trim is chrome

pinoyesv6
04-27-2005, 12:00 PM
have u guys tried the aftermarket? like for example, when your car is in the body shop you have 3 options for replacement parts. used, new from the dealer, or new aftermarket. for some pieces the quality of the pieces might not be up to par with OEM and some will. but its just the chrome trim on your door, its not like its going to affect the structural integrity of the car if you put on a lower grade replacement.

I've looked into this a little bit...

Paint isn't an option, since the trim is where it is and sees so much wear the paint will just flake off, so it has to be an inherently black substance the trim is made out of.

personally, i don't see how the chrome trim on the doors is going to see so much wear. i mean at least not as much the interior trim pieces. i see how its going to wear down, i drive around with my arm out the window all the time but i don't see how a quality paint job is just going to rub off with just your arm rubbing on it.

cardude03
04-27-2005, 12:00 PM
oh yeh, ur right guys, sorry, lol. for some reason i thought the roof ones were also chrome, but then i see neel's, okay, sorry, please disregard anything i saw, moving on.... :oops:

neel9
04-27-2005, 12:01 PM
ok i get it.. i wanted to get to long time ago but some one told me that usually paint will chip off if we paint chrome so..

pinoyesv6
04-27-2005, 12:08 PM
ok i get it.. i wanted to get to long time ago but some one told me that usually paint will chip off if we paint chrome so..

i've had portions of my chrome grille painted for years now and i haven't had it chip yet. the front of the car i think takes most of the beating compared to like the sides of the car or the rear

SROL
04-27-2005, 12:08 PM
The chrome trim around the upper parts of the doors just peels off. For some reason I had one side with the trim and one without it when I bought my car. It just peeled right off.

Jet Black
04-27-2005, 03:43 PM
The chrome trim around the upper parts of the doors just peels off. For some reason I had one side with the trim and one without it when I bought my car. It just peeled right off.

Got any pics on how it looks?

neel9
04-27-2005, 03:52 PM
it doesnt seem like it would just peel off though..like if itry to remove it.. feels like something is going to break or something

mrjaydeeone
04-27-2005, 04:55 PM

look at the pic of rods car I posted, I think he removed his
they dont look painted or anything like that

neel9
04-27-2005, 04:59 PM

look at the pic of rods car I posted, I think he removed his
they dont look painted or anything like that
true that but why the hell did he leave the one on the doors?

Goandeatsomestuff
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
the chrome strip at the bottom of the window keeps the water out...that one serves a purpose. the one at the top doesn't, so you can just whip it right out.

bluediamonds
04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
so, I thought that it looked pretty cool with out the top chrome pieces, I just went out side and did it.....probably took about30 seconds of my time. It looks alot cleaner without it. No glue or sticky crap to deal with, all they are, are just pressed in there.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/616000-616999/616104_102_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/616000-616999/616104_103_full.jpg

Danger DANJ
04-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Shoot, if the chrome trim on the top of the doors comes off that easily, I might have to take mine off. My driver's door trim keeps cutting me because the black cap on the end broke off, exposing a sharp edge. One day I closed my door by grabbing the corner and sliced my hand open.

As for the chrome trim below the windows, get them powder coated. Powder coating is extremely durable and won't chip off very easily at all.

SROL
04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I'd upload some, but then you'd get to see how dirty my car is right now.
bluediamonds has some good pics of what it looks like afterwards.

As for the chrome trim below the windows, get them powder coated. Powder coating is extremely durable and won't chip off very easily at all.
Good idea. As for me, I kinda like the bottom chrome thingy. The chrome around doors is what killed me.

SkylineG1
04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
If that trim is removed wouldn't it cause more wind noise in the cabin?

neel9
04-27-2005, 11:09 PM
man damm if its that easy than i will have to do it too

chbuzz
04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
guys the strip on the bottom of your windows are called window moulding belts and yes they come in black. they cost around $20 a piece per belt tho and its not that hard to replace. if your wanting a cleaner look spend the $ and replace them with new black ones and your G will look cleaner. I replaced all my windows belts and drip mouldings and trunk moulding and by far the most dificult was the drip moulding that runs along the roof and on the sides of the windshield. If anyone needs help with there window belts let me know. oh and yeah defenitely remove those (top window edge) cheap looking chrome trim pieces cus that takes about 5 min to do those.

Goandeatsomestuff
04-29-2005, 01:38 AM
care to throw up a How To in the new tutorial forum?

BGR
04-29-2005, 02:45 AM
That's great guys. I love collaboration.
I just can't believe that I owned this car almost 5 1/2 years and the thought never crossed my mind.

bluediamonds
04-29-2005, 08:55 AM
funny how things just pop up all of a sudden. Where can you order the black window belts?

chbuzz
04-29-2005, 08:04 PM
funny how things just pop up all of a sudden. Where can you order the black window belts?I got mine from an dealer that had a mitsubishi trademotion catalog. The actual place I got mine from stopped dealing with mitsu... but I've tried a few others and I usually go to google and put mitsubishi parts and trademotion and theres quite a few to pick from depending on what general area your in. I usually get mine from dealers on the east coast and usually if they have the trademotion catalog they normally give you 20% off online orders. If your not familair with the trademotion parts catalog there a VERY nice for reference that you can get either your collision or mechanical parts from and most of the times it has pics of the part and there price. No pushy parts guy to deal with just browse and order. Keep in mind even after shipping its still cheaper buying online cus the dealers rape you.

chbuzz
04-29-2005, 08:21 PM
care to throw up a How To in the new tutorial forum?It's not a bad idea but I rather tell you here cus its not that hard. You basically just take the screw(inside door) thats on every end of the belt. Roll your windows down. The front power mirrors need taken off. Then you start at one end and pry up. There are clips built into the door that they "snap" into so your trying to get over the clip and its going to have to be pulled up hard to get the clips to release. I found to kinda twist helps also as the belt starts to come up. BE PATIENT and don't get frustrated and whatever you do DON'T use a sharp object to pry with. If you use something make sure its end is blunt or you will surely scratch up stuff. These take a little time at first cus I know the first time I did it It took me awhile until I got the first one off and seen the clip and how they where held in place.

mochanges
04-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah the chrome on the top of the window frame pulls right off. For the chrome at the base of the window frame, you just unscrew one screw, the piece slides right off, and you pop on a DE piece. Really easy. I did it a few years ago. See the pic here: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mtrahman/ca...elson%20002.jpg ('http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mtrahman/carpics/wheelson%20002.jpg')

neel9
04-30-2005, 01:55 PM
tried to do it.. but seems like its there for the safety of the door edge on the top... wouldnt it harm the door in case of removing it..

mrjaydeeone
04-30-2005, 02:30 PM
tried to do it.. but seems like its there for the safety of the door edge on the top... wouldnt it harm the door in case of removing it..

the piece at the top seems like it is just there for ornamental purposes

neel9
04-30-2005, 02:37 PM

caue i saw that it was kinda of protection for teh door frame on the top.. so.. and if we remove it.. the fram will keep hitting the body while closing the door so.. seems like not a good idea but than if it does not hit than its cool..

chbuzz
04-30-2005, 09:33 PM

caue i saw that it was kinda of protection for teh door frame on the top.. so.. and if we remove it.. the fram will keep hitting the body while closing the door so.. seems like not a good idea but than if it does not hit than its cool..nah it doesn't serve any functional purpose... and if your door is hitting your frame as your close your door you got problems https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Serstylz2
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
hmm getting close.. on mitsubishiparts they seem to only have the molding replacement parts for the crappy chrome trim I'm pulling off, not the actual window molding belt in black that I am looking for..

IceDouTGaLanT
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Check for DE trim, i know they come standard.

Serstylz2
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM
https://www.trademotion.com/schematics/6/6241455.gif this is as far as i can get

seth98esT
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Here you go, these should be part numbers for the lower trim in black(off the DE):

MR328652
MR328651
MR328654
MR328653

Total: $115.08 from Don Herring. The chrome trim is like $41/piece ouch. The top trim should just pull off the door, might be one or two screws under the rubber seal.

Serstylz2
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM
damn... might have to just go ahead n paint that.. rez said he could get me them for 15/door as well... lets see how much I spend this 4th of July