PDA

View Full Version : bright corner rewire.

Reelax
04-27-2005, 02:39 AM
thank you to TAZZ2000 for printing and scanning this from the old board b4 it went down.

i made this mod up a long time ago when i used to mod honda civics but since our cars use the same corner bulb (1157) it works for galants as well. hell, this mod was made originally to match clear bulb brightness to clear headlights b4 hyperwhites came out! anyways, to match hyperwhite corner intensity to hyperwhite headlight intensity, this is what you do:

http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/blinkermod1.jpg
http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/blinkermod2.jpg
http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/blinkermod3.jpg

GUTTAZMITZ
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't see the pics.. dang and i was just about to do this mod..

Reelax
02-11-2007, 07:34 AM
they are there... my server is on and connected.

pinoyesv6
02-11-2007, 08:56 AM
i see it too.

GUTTAZMITZ
02-11-2007, 07:44 PM
they keep showing up broken... i dunno.. i did this mod today off of a general search on google.. my wiring is straight, everything except when I lock the car the front cautions won't blink and my signals won't blink if my parking lights are off... I dunno.. everything looks straight when they're on though...

Reelax
02-11-2007, 08:00 PM
they keep showing up broken... i dunno.. i did this mod today off of a general search on google.. my wiring is straight, everything except when I lock the car the front cautions won't blink and my signals won't blink if my parking lights are off... I dunno.. everything looks straight when they're on though...

if ur signals won't blink when ur parking lights are off, u did it wrong. i don't have the tutorial in text form anymore since we lost it when our board went down years ago... i guess i can try to scan it or find it on another board and repost here.

well i found it... luckily my cousin posted this on one his boards back in the day:

this is a trick to make the clear corners intensity better match the headlight intensity. the corners will now burn bright when the parking lights are on and it'll look like you have 4 headlights, but you will still have functional blinkers at night. do this at your own risk since it is not super easy or super fool proof and your corners will burn sooner (will need replacement bulbs more often) but the results are worth it. this is a very rare mod because first you need clear corners then you have to have the motivation to rewire... i have only seen this mod (properly done w/ relays to retain night time front blinkers) in Los Angeles on the cars i have personally done it on!

i had this done on my old US specs and currently have it done on my JDM's and a few peeps in TGC have tried it too since i posted it a few times in the old board. this btw, was an old trick i used to do on 92-95 civics and '93-97 mx-6's to make the clear corners match the headlights but it will work on any car w/ 1157 corners.

ok u'll need 2 SPDT relays.

here's a wiring diagram:

http://www.the12volt.com/ssi/getimage.asp?imgFN=relaytextA.gif

our corner bulbs are 1157 which have 2 filaments, one bright for signal and one dim for parking. if you unclip the socket from the harness you can take a jewelry screwdriver to unclip the wires from the harness. of the 3 wires that clip into the harness, the middle one is the ground (negative), and the 2 outside wires are the positive leads for the signal and parking light. unclip these and swap their position then re-insert and plug the socket back into the harness and your done... almost.

since you now have parking lights that are brighter than your signal lights, you can't see ur signals blinking when your parking lights are on. this is where the relays come into play.

first cut the wire that goes to the bright filament (now activated by your parking lights). connect the 2 new leads created by cutting, one to 87a (normally closed) and the other to 30 (common).
next tap the dim filament wire (now activated by the signal) to 86 (coil).
last tap the 85 (coil) tab to the ground wire.

what this does is, block current to your now bright parking lights when the signal light is on... your parking lights will appear to blink "off". the two cool side effects of this are, at night, your front corners will blink out of phase w/ ur rear signals and your flasher will be tricked into think a bulbs "out" and will blink twice as fast as normal.

GUTTAZMITZ
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
ah I see where I messed up.. I used the car's ground instead of tapping the ground from the wires....gotchya.. thx for tha help!

Reelax
02-12-2007, 06:30 PM
no problem. let me know if u need any more info.

9G
09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
i need to do this. parking lights are too dim IMO.