PDA

View Full Version : will this turbo fit?

1995 galant s
10-09-2002, 03:19 PM
hey guys...... will a t-25 turbo fit a 1995 galant s? Its the 4 cyl. 141 horse engine. If it does..... im a happy man, if not.... well... imma be very sad because i got a great deal on one. PLEASE let me know!

TurboGalant
10-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Garrett T25 fits fine on my car 1995 LS. A good deal? Where? I am looking to replace/rebuild mine.

Dark Anghell
10-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Yeah it should fit. If I'm not mistaken it comes from either the EVO or the eclipse. I don't remember which one.

TurboGalant
10-09-2002, 09:11 PM
eclipse

Dark Anghell
10-09-2002, 09:21 PM
hey did you turbo your engine or did you install the 4g63t? If you turbo'ed yours, did you install new head gasket? (something a little thicker). Is your car AT or MT?

Kain
10-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Given he said his car's an LS, I'd assume auto.

TurboGalant
10-10-2002, 09:37 PM
4G64T. I don't think we used a different gasket.

Levelten Automatic

seth98esT
10-10-2002, 09:54 PM
a 25g turbo may fit, but you will blow your engine to hell unless you do some massive, MASSIVE bulletproofing. You will screw up your tranny big time to.

The largest tutbo you can run with stock insides would be a 14b turbo using the stock tranny. With a 4g63 it is a different story, you would be fine with a 16b. Even when running a 14b turbo you would have to keep the boost at an medium level to prevent the risk of blowing something

now were you guys talking supercharger or turbo? haha

evil-G-nius
10-10-2002, 10:56 PM
I am curios, if you have a 4g63t, and you upgrade the turbo to a t25 or so, would it be major work? Like would you blow the engine at a moderate boost, like say 8-10 psi? Plus um...what deal did that kid get on the turbo? how much?

sabzi5858
10-11-2002, 08:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimya)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am curios, if you have a 4g63t, and you upgrade the turbo to a t25 or so, would it be major work? Like would you blow the engine at a moderate boost, like say 8-10 psi? Plus um...what deal did that kid get on the turbo? how much?</div>

t25 comes stock on 95-99 turboe'd eclipses. 14b comes stock on 89-94s. the t25 is not an upgrade, the 14b is bigger. it's practically impossible to blow a 4g63t using a t25, you can kill the turbo, but it'll never be able to push enough air to kill the engine stock. now if you use a t25 on a 4g64, that's a different story because the 4g64 has higher compression.

fstrthnu
10-12-2002, 10:59 PM
The t-25 is a piece of crap. You want at least a 14b. Best would be a 16g. That's what I decided to go w/ on my 4g64. I've been putting a turbo kit together and I've got almost everything I need to complete the install. The grand total so far is a little under $2000. And I haven't even started installing it yet...damn.

sabzi5858
10-17-2002, 02:20 PM
on the contrary, a t25 may be an excellent choice of turbo for turboing a 4g64 if you aren't lowering compression. it should be able to push more air than you'll be able to handle, and at the same time have ultra-quick spool up. from what i understand, people who turbo their 4g64s (and don't lower compression) don't run higher than 8-9psi, the t25 can more than handle that job and has no problems with spooling at the same time.

seth98esT
10-17-2002, 07:17 PM
i just re-read it and i was mistaking the t-25 for the 25g haha 25g will blow your engine to pieces!

14B will yield a bit more high end performance VS a T-25...
But will not spool as fast. (Course if you bring the T-28 into the picture... thats a different monster altogether.)

TurboGalant
10-18-2002, 04:26 PM
My turbo spools real quick, gives good low end, then the galant itself has great high end. In the 1/4 mile, low end will be more helpful. It is not the most powerful, but it does a good job for not upgrading the internals of the engine.
I have a ball bearing t25 on the way, can't wait to try it out.

Of course, having the quick spool is very helpful on a two lane road when you need to pass the SOB going 5 under in front of you....Know what I mean??

Dark Anghell
10-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Sooo...let me get this straight...T-25 is in fact larger than a 14b. Or is the 14b smaller?

fstrthnu
10-18-2002, 10:18 PM
The 14b and and the 16g are bigger than the t-25. In fact, Im pretty sure that the 14b and 16g use the same housings bc they can upgrade a 14b to a 16g. I understand why a t-25 would be useful bc it is small and thus its ability to spool up quick, but a 14b and 16g arent really going to be much farther back.The bigger turbos are going to give you more top end where a smaller turbo would die off. And what do you use mostly in the 1320, except for the first 60 ft. Your high in the rpms where you need the turbo to keep full boost.

Dark Anghell
10-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Ok...so how can I blow my motor by installing a t25? If it's smaller, then less air will go through, thus less boost...am I correct?

Anyone knows the price for a rebuild kit for a t25? Probably greddy would be a good one to go with...they make all of the mitsu turbos I believe. What do you think?

sabzi5858
10-18-2002, 10:52 PM
it takes less to kill a higher compression engine than it would to kill a lower compression engine

seth98esT
10-19-2002, 01:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pavel)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok...so how can I blow my motor by installing a t25? If it's smaller, then less air will go through, thus less boost...am I correct?
</div>

well you will most likely not blow a motor with a t25, but you definitely would with a 25g and chances are higher also with the 16g unless you have an upgraded tranny and some nice insides in your engine

Dark Anghell
10-19-2002, 04:57 PM
I guess a 2nd. gen t25 stock turbo and manifold would work just fine huh...not that I'm going to turbo my car or anything like that, I would never do that... :roll:

fstrthnu
10-19-2002, 11:21 PM
It doesn't matter if you have a 16g or a t-25. The stock internal wastegate actuator will only allow it to run 6-8 pounds of boost. The only way you are going to blow your engine is if you get a boost controller and turn up the pressure.

That's why I would go w/ a turbo that would allow me to run higher boost if I ever decide to drop the compression.

Spyder4G64t
10-20-2002, 07:47 PM
It doesn't matter if you have a 16g or a t-25. The stock internal wastegate actuator will only allow it to run 6-8 pounds of boost. The only way you are going to blow your engine is if you get a boost controller and turn up the pressure. Bad advice. You can blow your engine easily with only 6-8 psi if it is not tuned properly. Not enough fuel, too much timing, too much heat, etc, etc, etc. At least qualify your statement with some warnings.

As for the rest of the thread, the T25 sux for our application because it produces a LOT more heat in the intake air charge for a given PSI of boost. As such, you will detonate a lot quicker, and fry your engine faster. The 16g is just about perfect for our application, because at around 10psi it reaches its peak efficiency. Peak Efficiency = lower intake air temp = less detonation. It doesn't completely matter if a turbo *can* produce the proper amount of boost. It matters a LOT what that boost level is doing to air temp and flow. Will a T25 work? Yes, it will do the job. However, in my opinion, dont settle for less than a 14b, and try and get a 16g if your budget allows.

fstrthnu
10-20-2002, 08:54 PM
spyder4g64t wrote:

Bad advice. You can blow your engine easily with only 6-8 psi if it is not tuned properly. Not enough fuel, too much timing, too much heat, etc, etc, etc. At least qualify your statement with some warnings.

I know this. I was just saying, just b/c you have a larger turbo it doesn't nesessary mean that it's going to run 20psi out of the box. The boost level isn't what's going to kill you... It's the stuff that you mention.

Did you write the how to acticle on turboing the '64?

Spyder4G64t
10-21-2002, 07:04 PM
Did you write the how to acticle on turboing the '64?I wrote at least one of them. My website is listed in my signature. It's got a lot of information that I've compiled from doing the turbo conversion on my car.

fstrthnu
10-21-2002, 08:53 PM
Yeah. That's the one I was referring to. I just wanted to say thanks for giving me a pretty complete parts list. It has helped out a whole lot.

Spyder4G64t
10-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Yeah. That's the one I was referring to. I just wanted to say thanks for giving me a pretty complete parts list. It has helped out a whole lot.You're welcome. Glad it was of use to you. A web page with the parts and procedure was LONG overdue for the 4G64 turbo conversion. I hammered most of that web site out in 2 days while being very bored and unemployed... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

BTW... What do you mean by "Pretty complete" anyway... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

fstrthnu
10-21-2002, 10:26 PM
hahaha! I guess your list is about as complete as it gets . I went w/ a ported 16g. You've got a 16g too, right? Just to clear some things up, at what exact rpm do you reach full boost?

Spyder4G64t
10-21-2002, 10:40 PM
hahaha! I guess your list is about as complete as it gets . I went w/ a ported 16g. You've got a 16g too, right? Just to clear some things up, at what exact rpm do you reach full boost?Yes, the full list of my mods is on my website under the "Curt's Spyder" link. I've got a 2g manny, small 16g, and 2g o2 housing - all ported by TRE.

I get to 10psi around 2500rpm in 3rd gear. Pulls hard as hell all the way till the rev limiter hits at 6500rpm.

fstrthnu
10-21-2002, 10:53 PM
That's great. I have the same big three mods done. Say goodbye to boostcreep! You have the starion fmic, what size is the inlet and oulet? It's only 2" right? Is that enough? And who fabricated the i/c piping for you? How much?

Spyder4G64t
10-22-2002, 03:13 PM
That's great. I have the same big three mods done. Say goodbye to boostcreep! You have the starion fmic, what size is the inlet and oulet? It's only 2" right? Is that enough? And who fabricated the i/c piping for you? How much?
Yeah... Boostcreep was a big problem at first. Luckily, I have a tunable muffler, so I could close it all the way, and keep enough back pressure to keep the boost down. If I opened up the muffler, it would creep to 15psi right away. Then I got everything ported, and the larger wastegate put in. Now it holds rock solid. In fact, I had to put a boost controller in to raise the PSI now, since it was so low.

Yes, my IC piping is mostly 2", including the inlet and outlet on the intercooler. It probably should have been made larger, but I didn't personally do it, and I wasn't asked what I wanted, so I'm stuck with it now. I would have gone with 2.25" and 2.5". The piping is all straight pipes, and silicone/rubber elbows or couplers or 45 degree angles. I get a nice straight pipe all the way from the bottom of my radiator, up at a 45 degree angle all the way to the throttle body. It works well for now. When I get a bigger/better FMIC, I'll redo the piping as well.

g96nt
10-23-2002, 08:59 AM
mmmmmm Techincal posts......

yummy

Hi curt!

I still owe you $25

what's your paypal address?

and..... big 16g all the WAY!!!

curt... have we raced the 2.4t?

seth98esT
11-13-2002, 10:21 AM
every time i look at your car craig i drool https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

if you are staying SOHC 4g64T shouldnt you lower the compression since its kinda high for turbo apps?

Dark Anghell
11-13-2002, 08:57 PM
As long as you have proper tuning you will be fine. Also as long as you don't exceed the safe boost levels. When you lower your compression, you loose your low end torque. But you can boost a lot more, this way getting more high-end HP. Most of my friends are running stock internals with 8PSI of Boost.

A great example is my friends Mirage. He had the turbo installed in the car about 3-4 years ago. The car has AT tranny in it, with a good fuel system. He never had any problems with it. He ran 14.7 at the track (raised the boost to 10PSI). But on the street it's always 8PSI.

fstrthnu
12-07-2002, 03:36 AM
I just got back to the states last night and going to do the turbo install next weekend...any hints?

I'm back on the streets, large and incharge and looking for chickees!!!

I forgot how cool my car was..... haha.

hyer717
12-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Ahh, large and in charge of the road, BEHIND my truck!!! lol!! Can't wait to smoke you!! Give me a call today.
-Dan

hyer717
12-07-2002, 09:51 PM
BTW, t-25's do suck. Go to an eclipse forum and talk to those guys about it, they'll tell you what the best turbo is, most of them seem to be running 16g's.

4g64terror
01-31-2003, 12:51 AM
hey spyder..im about to finish my 5 speed conversion and i wanna turbo the SOHC next..I already have the exhaust manifold a 14b and a starion intercooler. of course i know i need custom pipes but what else? electronics wise? Will i need a 2g eclipse mass air?i noticed you talk about stft's and such.. I know yours is a spyder ecu so yours is OBD2 but mine is a 95 so it's OBD one..Who on here knows their OBD1 turbo tuning?please email me at [email protected] because i wanna get started QUICK

4g64terror
01-31-2003, 12:52 AM
hey spyder..im about to finish my 5 speed conversion and i wanna turbo the SOHC next..I already have the exhaust manifold a 14b and a starion intercooler. of course i know i need custom pipes but what else? electronics wise? Will i need a 2g eclipse mass air?i noticed you talk about stft's and such.. I know yours is a spyder ecu so yours is OBD2 but mine is a 95 so it's OBD one..Who on here knows their OBD1 turbo tuning?please email me at [email protected] because i wanna get started QUICK

4g64terror
01-31-2003, 12:53 AM
damn double click lololol

Spyder4G64t
01-31-2003, 08:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g64terror)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey spyder..im about to finish my 5 speed conversion and i wanna turbo the SOHC next..I already have the exhaust manifold a 14b and a starion intercooler. of course i know i need custom pipes but what else? electronics wise? Will i need a 2g eclipse mass air?i noticed you talk about stft's and such.. I know yours is a spyder ecu so yours is OBD2 but mine is a 95 so it's OBD one..Who on here knows their OBD1 turbo tuning?please email me at [email protected] because i wanna get started QUICK</div>The complete list is on my website. If you read and understand the turbo tutorial, you can make your own decisions on what you want to do, and in what order. If you don't, then you probably shouldn't be doing this to your car. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Moosh
02-01-2003, 11:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>A great example is my friends Mirage. He had the turbo installed in the car about 3-4 years ago. The car has AT tranny in it, with a good fuel system. He never had any problems with it. He ran 14.7 at the track (raised the boost to 10PSI). But on the street it's always 8PSI.</div>

I guess my Galant 98 will be doing about 14.7 at the track after I turbo it too. Stupid automatic trans...... anyway, does anyone know anything about those level10 upgrades? What are the different options I have for getting a stronger transmission? Thanks.