PDA

View Full Version : 6g72 5-spd manual Galant w/SDS (with pics to prove)

roni
04-28-2005, 10:28 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~galant2k/5spd_6g7...g72_galant.html ('http://home.comcast.net/~galant2k/5spd_6g72_galant.html')

This was done on my boyfriend Chris's car. Completed March 22, 2005, sorry for the delay on posting these pics. Our friend has a shop and he did most of the work, but were able to help out with getting the parts and removing/reinstalling the tranny itself.

More information will be posted!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<span style='color:blue'>Parts list:
(99% of this can be purchased from a junkyard, we used http://www.car-part.com ('http://www.car-part.com') to find one that was local, but don't forget to get new axle seals and get the flywheel resurfaced)
-Manual 5 spd transmission (with tranny mount attached) (3g v6 eclipse)
-Cylinder block plate (3g v6 eclipse) (this may be called something else from the Mitsu dealer)
-Clutch, whichever one you choose (brand new ACT 2600lb was used, they forgot to include a clutch alignment tool, so we used a 17mm socket)
-Flywheel (3g v6 eclipse) (we used a new flywheel, you can get one resurfaced instead if you like)
-Passenger side axle (3g v6 eclipse) (NEEDS to be either ABS or non-ABS, whichever one your car has, they are different)
-clutch master and slave cylinder (3g v6 eclipse)
-clutch pedal (3g v6 eclipse)
-brake pedal cover (3g v6 eclipse) (brake pedal itself can be cut smaller and the new cover can be put on it instead of replacing it)
-manual shifter, shift linkage and cables(3g v6 eclipse)
-2 new axle seals (3g v6 eclipse) do not re-use the old ones
-access to service manuals (and someone with a good understanding of how to read them)

optional:
-quaife lsd (make sure you get the speedo gear and differential bearings)</span>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To answer common questions, here:

NOT 1 CEL FROM THE MANUAL SWAP, LEAVE YOUR ECU ALONE!

Passenger Side Axle Info:
We managed to get our friend to modify the stock passenger side axle to fit, but the mount that bolts to the motor is in a slightly different position, so getting another one is the easiest of the two options, a lot less downtime.

Gear Selector Info (tricking the ecu?):
Go ahead and trick the gear selector into thinking it's in neutral. We had it set up this way and it worked great. Somehow, we managed to have the gear selector eliminated altogether, but I do not have all the details of how that works off the top of my head.

Speedometer Sensor Info (tricking the ecu again?):
The connector for the speedometer sensor is identical to that from the automatic, no work to do here, it just plugs in like normal.

Reverse Light Info:
At the moment, the reverse lights are not hooked up. It is not hard to fix, as there are two leads on the reverse connector of the transmission, but we just haven't gotten around to fixing it. Rather then using the ecu to trigger these lights to come on (based upon what the gear selector sees), I intend to wire these leads directly into the wires that power the reverse lights.

Mounting clutch fluid reservoir:
You can mount this high up on the firewall to make it happy (gravitationally). See the picture for an idea of where it could be mounted (self-tapping sheet metal screws might work for this or you drill holes to mount this).

Caution:
The clutch safety switch is not easily transferrable AFAIK, so be very careful not to leave your car in gear and try to start it, because it can accidentally be started without the clutch depressed. I am looking into a way to fix this, but as of now, it has not been completed.

SkylineG1
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Nice. What was the cost of the setup(if you don't mind me asking)?

VegasMatt
04-28-2005, 10:57 PM
N ice, you got a parts list for the swap. I think you are the 1st to do the swap on a V6.

Goandeatsomestuff
04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
^^^ cost he means

but damn...that's a nice looking engine bay. Wouldn't mind doing that myself if i had the cashola...at least the tranny part.

Where's Jet Black? he should be alll over this

VegasMatt
04-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Hows the SDS doing under the boost, once I upgraded to stage 2 thats where the problems began...hence the removal of my SDS. How long the Stage 2 been in?

G-spot
04-28-2005, 11:14 PM
finally, something interesting other than the CAI postings https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

hsinya
04-28-2005, 11:15 PM
no!!!!! i'm no longer gonna be the 1st :cry:

hsinya
04-28-2005, 11:18 PM
:shock: i just noticed the gt-s intake manifold... omg nice.

any exterior pics of the car?

8ggalant
04-28-2005, 11:19 PM
do yer reverse lights work, do u have a CEL??

SkylineG1
04-28-2005, 11:22 PM
To satisfy our curiosity we will need a fulll write up if all parts used and cost of build up.

Goandeatsomestuff
04-28-2005, 11:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>To satisfy our curiosity we will need a fulll write up if all parts used and cost of build up.</div>
or ban

Jet Black
04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Roni, I want to be your boyfriends new best friend...if you know what I mean.

Seriously though, this is great to see. I remeber someone was talking about the fact that they had talked to someone else on the phone who had done exactly this. I dind't think it was real till now. :shock:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Do a full tutorial. PLEASE!!!

ChikagoGTZ
04-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Or at least get us a parts list...I was planning on doing this myself, but have decided that I'm going to take it into a shop to get done. But it's going to be cheaper if I get them all the parts before bringing my car in! I'm happy this has happened, I was getting upset with my G and this has revitalized my passion.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 12:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Or at least get us a parts list...I was planning on doing this myself, but have decided that I'm going to take it into a shop to get done. Â*But it's going to be cheaper if I get them all the parts before bringing my car in! Â*I'm happy this has happened, I was getting upset with my G and this has revitalized my passion.</div>

Agreed.

At the very least is it possible that instead of writing a whole new tutorial (which in any case would still be 100000x more preferable), could your BF point out any major differances between what he did for the swap (in terms of the actual procedure) and Peano's tutorial oh his swap:
http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html ('http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html')

About the only differance I can see so far is that the V6 flex plate has 4 bolts instead of 3 (as in the case of the I4 tranny).

Though Im positive there must be much larger differances.

Being that your boyfriend is basicly the V6 to do a tranny swap (I believe this applies to the 3G Eclipse's as well), please convince him that we need a tutorial.

Even simply pictures would be great. We can make out what needs to be done simply using pictures...

hsinya
04-29-2005, 02:11 AM
seeing you guys beg like that is kinda disappointing... if u guys read up on this and the 3g forums you basically have everything u need to know about the swap. peano's 7g i4 tutorial is almost 100% correct. it costed me a little under $1500 for all the necessary parts. if u go with oem parts it should be around 1100 or even less.

p.s. i'm about to do this swap next week. the only thing i'm missing is the info on how to rewire the reverse lights. sorry 8ggalant i still haven't found it yet. i'll be going in reverse blind just like you https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

ChikagoGTZ
04-29-2005, 07:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hsinya)</div><div class='quotemain'>seeing you guys beg like that is kinda disappointing... if u guys read up on this and the 3g forums you basically have everything u need to know about the swap. peano's 7g i4 tutorial is almost 100% correct. it costed me a little under $1500 for all the necessary parts. if u go with oem parts it should be around 1100 or even less.

p.s. i'm about to do this swap next week. the only thing i'm missing is the info on how to rewire the reverse lights. sorry 8ggalant i still haven't found it yet. i'll be going in reverse blind just like you https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>

Do you realize that this is the first V6 5-Speed swap we have seen, so are going to whore all the info we can get to get this tutorial out there. Alot of guys want to get this done, so get off your high horse my friend.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hsinya)</div><div class='quotemain'>seeing you guys beg like that is kinda disappointing... if u guys read up on this and the 3g forums you basically have everything u need to know about the swap. peano's 7g i4 tutorial is almost 100% correct. it costed me a little under $1500 for all the necessary parts. if u go with oem parts it should be around 1100 or even less.

p.s. i'm about to do this swap next week. the only thing i'm missing is the info on how to rewire the reverse lights. sorry 8ggalant i still haven't found it yet. i'll be going in reverse blind just like you https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>

Oh the irony...did you just suggest we go to the 3g boards for info on a swap? I have never seen any 3G member EVER contribute ANY worthwhile info past "dude just trade your car in for a 5spd".

The 3G boards SUCK NUTS.

peanotation
04-29-2005, 11:07 AM
very very very nice. good luck with the SDS

thebirdman13
04-29-2005, 11:55 AM
so my question is...does the car actually drive...have you tested the transmission yet? just curious

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 01:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>so my question is...does the car actually drive...have you tested the transmission yet? just curious</div>

To my knowledge, they did all this a while back. As I mentioned above someone was talking about this very person (the forum member's name escapes me at the moment).

lol as you can see, I'm very excited about this (goandeat was spot on ~ I'm ALL over this https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif).

seth98esT
04-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Guys its not that hard. Use teh parts list off the i4 tutorial. SAME parts except the mounts which you might be able to use auto mounts, might have to use 5spd mounts, not hard. Parts list, schmarts list. Just find a 3g 5spd v6 in the yard and your set :roll:

FrankMB
04-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Brian (Stewi) was the one talking about it. She was calling him when they were doing the swap. I chatted with her this morning. Nice gal, knows more than most on here. Very knowledgeable. Looks like there are several things different as compared to the I4 swap. One major thing I remember is that you will need to grind down the passenger axle or get the eclipse one. The car is also bone stock outside, a real sleeper

8ggalant
04-29-2005, 02:09 PM
imo the people who REALLY want this done will do it (regaurdless of not having parts list and tutorials -JET/HYNSIA included), not to be a dick but the whole im waitin for this and that and theres no tutorial bs is gettin old

not tryin to be a dick..u guys know u can pm me w/ any questions....just stopp doubtin yerselves and do it lol

Cali
04-29-2005, 02:19 PM
seriously guys, this topic has been beat to death. if you want to do the swap, do the swap. stop worrying so much about whether you're going to have all the parts and shit. i can find numerous threads basically explaining what you need. it's not like your building something from scratch you're just swapping something out.

ChikagoGTZ
04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Cali, when this is my only car, I need to get it done in a weekend. Thats the reason I'm waiting to see what someone else went through. The electrical part is what I want to see, mechanically, I'm fine.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.zanesvillesdennysdiner.com/images/dennys-02.jpg

Cali
04-29-2005, 04:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8ggalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>imo the people who REALLY want this done will do it (regaurdless of not having parts list and tutorials -JET/HYNSIA included), not to be a dick but the whole im waitin for this and that and theres no tutorial bs is gettin old

not tryin to be a dick..u guys know u can pm me w/ any questions....just stopp doubtin yerselves and do it lol</div>

Ya...I'm really not waiting on a tutorial so much as the money to get the parts. Another thing, why do you guys care if we wait and ask questions? You see threads on shit that is verified everyday (ie paint problems). Why don't you go bother those people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>seriously guys, this topic has been beat to death. if you want to do the swap, do the swap. stop worrying so much about whether you're going to have all the parts and shit. i can find numerous threads basically explaining what you need. it's not like your building something from scratch you're just swapping something out.</div>

As Chicago pointed out, this is my only car as well. Until one of you guys donate a car for me to use in the mean time. I will ask as much "bullshit" as I possibly can. I don't have time to sit on my ass, car-less, while I wait for a part to come in. Nor do I have the time to sit and figure out why something doesn't match up properly. Besides the main quesiton I was asking is if there is any major differance between Peano's swap and the V6's.

I love the fact that, while no one (save for Roni's bf) has done the swap. You guys seem to think that they know beyond any certainty that its almost exactly like the I4 swap. Not that I'm doubting you guys on that (as far the procedure), but seriously now, there will be some minute differances at the very least. And I would hate to get fucked over just because I rushed head first into it (ie taking your brilliant advice). And finally may I point out that I don't have deep pockets. This swap will cost me a large portion of my income, and thus it is only natural that I become more price elastic. Would you walk into a dealership and buy an expensive car that you knew very little about?

If you guys are getting sick of it, thats your own damn problem. DEAL WITH IT!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FrankMB)</div><div class='quotemain'>Brian (Stewi) was the one talking about it. Â*She was calling him when they were doing the swap. Â*I chatted with her this morning. Â*Nice gal, knows more than most on here. Â*Very knowledgeable. Â*Looks like there are several things different as compared to the I4 swap. Â* One major thing I remember is that you will need to grind down the passenger axle or get the eclipse one. Â*The car is also bone stock outside, a real sleeper</div>

What about the number of splines on the axles? Are they exactly the same in both trannys?</div>

1) i hardly doubt anybody will go out of their way just for you to be able to not worry about your "daily driver"
2)common sense tells you "wait, same engine, same platform, hmm...maybe mitsu made things very similar to avoid manufacturing costs!!!
3)if you're extremely worried about getting fucked over, like you said it's your ONLY CAR.
4)if this is going to take up such a huge portion of your income, MAYBE you shouldnt be doing it, and think about what your priorities should be.
5) Did i mention you said it was your DAILY DRIVER and cant AFFORD fuck ups? everybody knows..when you start modding, things WILL FUCK UP. so expect it.

but hey, it's just my opinion, as im sure some will agree with me, but you're entitled to yours to. so we deal with "bullshit", just like you should deal with ours. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

just being real.

ChikagoGTZ
04-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Wow, It's not like we're noobs man, we just aren't the ones to do something first...especially since we dont have the cash to waste with trial and error. Let us ask questions, it's not like they have to answer, but telling us to go and do it outself doesn't make much sense. Let's just drop everything, since this post is thoroughly ruined and I doubt if Roni's bf is gonna reply to a group as unprofessional as ourselves.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.theconsumerbridge.com/images/cingular_side.jpg

icEbErg629
04-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I agree with Jet in every way https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.greenshadow.com/tomorrow/starbucks.jpg

VegasMatt
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I am getting the parts for my swap this up coming week, i am going to go ahead and get it done.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am getting the parts for my swap this up coming week, i am going to go ahead and get it done.</div>

Congrats man. Maybe you can shed some light as to whether there are any major differances. Also did the shop quote you a time frame yet?

hsinya
04-29-2005, 05:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Frank clearly states that the passenger side axle from an automatic is not the correct size (I suspect this to be the case with the driver side as well). Â*If I had followed the I4 swap tutorials without gathering any more info (as you so keenly suggest I should do), I would have run into a problem right their in itself.</div>

only the passenger side axle are different lengths. the driver side axles are the same.

club3g actually has tons of good information, you just have to have the patience to read thru alot of the bullshit. there is one guy there that has done an auto to manual swap on his gt and in my opinion there was alot of useful information in that thread.

anyways sorry i sounded all high and mighty in my last post but the point i was trying to make was if you have done enough research on your own, you will have sufficient information to do the swap. if you still have questions or doubts, theres still more researching to do.

just my opinion.

icEbErg629
04-29-2005, 06:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icEbErg629)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree with Jet in every way https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>

Thanks bro, though what the other guys are suggesting is totally counter-intuitive to what a normal person does. Ask questions, go slow, and do it right the first time around.

I mean isn't that the idea of a forum?</div>

Exactly. MAYBE Cali hates competition with passion...just like his response to my gb thread on liberal grill --anyone else interested? pls pm me https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 06:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hsinya)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Frank clearly states that the passenger side axle from an automatic is not the correct size (I suspect this to be the case with the driver side as well). Â*If I had followed the I4 swap tutorials without gathering any more info (as you so keenly suggest I should do), I would have run into a problem right their in itself.</div>

only the passenger side axle are different lengths. the driver side axles are the same.

club3g actually has tons of good information, you just have to have the patience to read thru alot of the bullshit. there is one guy there that has done an auto to manual swap on his gt and in my opinion there was alot of useful information in that thread.

anyways sorry i sounded all high and mighty in my last post but the point i was trying to make was if you have done enough research on your own, you will have sufficient information to do the swap. if you still have questions or doubts, theres still more researching to do.

just my opinion.</div>

Hey man, thanks for info. I'll take another look at club 3g. It just that, just about every thread that I've seen with people asking about it has resulted in about a dozen replies saying the same useless crap.

Though this is diffrent in that the guy posted his swap (as opposed to asking about it). And I agree there is still much more research to do, though I feel that one of the best ways is to ask people who have done it.

8ggalant
04-29-2005, 06:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icEbErg629)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Exactly. MAYBE Cali hates competition with passion...just like his response to my gb thread on liberal grill --anyone else interested? pls pm me https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

you have got to be shitting me...

anyways...if i was misunderstood then let me clarify....MOST of the time the info is NOT there for you for free from peeple (as is the case right now) thats life....YOU NEED trial and error or else how are you going to learn stuff. this is an expensive hobby...what if u do everything right then u jack up yer auto and the 5spd goes out in two days...it happens..there are TWO local turbo 5spd eclipses that were auto from the factory...i go to the shop that did it...they did NOTHING different than i did on my swap (@ least thats what they told me)

my only point is u have to go out on a limb sumtimes instead of relying on you internet "family" to give u all the answers

as far as the damn competition remark....all i can say is wow...i cant tell you how many pm's ive gotten about this swap (granted i4 not v6) and even tho there are countless threads I MYSELF (and VTEC/STEWI) have written or replied to in regards to this i told everyone the same thing...i retyped the part list for them and told them what to look out for...and if u have any questions pm me or when yer about to actually start workin pm me for my phone number...i know my name wasnt mention'd above but it felt like an "attack" on me as well if it wasnt OH well just staitin that ive never seen ANYONE on this board EVER not have sumone's back on help w/ anything pertaining to a galant (does that mean it doesnt happen NO but IVE never witnessed it)

VegasMatt
04-29-2005, 06:31 PM
If you could post the link to the guy on 3g who did the post, if not maybe tonight I will read up on it over there.

Thanks for the lead.

Cali
04-29-2005, 06:32 PM
1) i hardly doubt anybody will go out of their way just for you to be able to not worry about your "daily driver"

Since when is posting a simple reply going out of ones way? You make is sound as if a forum member has never gone out of their way to help you out.

2)common sense tells you "wait, same engine, same platform, hmm...maybe mitsu made things very similar to avoid manufacturing costs!!!

Well of course they will be similar. This has been stated numerous times. I have no doubt as to there similiarity. Even the ambigious service manual drawings for both trannys show their similiarities. The word itself is used to describe something that is close, but not quite exact. My question was what are the individual things that will differ. Did you even read the posts above yours? Frank clearly states that the passenger side axle from an automatic is not the correct size (I suspect this to be the case with the driver side as well). If I had followed the I4 swap tutorials without gathering any more info (as you so keenly suggest I should do), I would have run into a problem right their in itself.

3)if you're extremely worried about getting fucked over, like you said it's your ONLY CAR.
4)if this is going to take up such a huge portion of your income, MAYBE you shouldnt be doing it, and think about what your priorities should be.
5) Did i mention you said it was your DAILY DRIVER and cant AFFORD fuck ups? everybody knows..when you start modding, things WILL FUCK UP. so expect it.

I’m guessing your suggesting that I should avoid doing this since you perceive that I’m extremely worried about fucking up my car...correct? Well I am (as I’m sure you are, and just about anyone who has any respect for their vehicle is as well). It comes down to simple economics: risk versus returns (linear and inverse). In this case the more information I can find out about this swap, the more I reduce the risk of doing something wrong. Now tell me, what is the problem you seem to have with this? What your suggesting makes no sense.

And my priorities are well in order, though I do appreciate your concern in this regards.

but hey, it's just my opinion, as im sure some will agree with me, but you're entitled to yours to. so we deal with "bullshit", just like you should deal with ours. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

just being real.

Yes since asking for more information is bullshit. Your not being real, your being a clown.[/quote]

im just stating the obvious. if you dont like it fine, that's your opinion and i respect that, but i never crossed the line and insulted you. like hsinya said, if you dont know what else is needed SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH. you think i have a tutorial on doing the swap? please. Stewi's been a big help but it's not like he's giving me step by step instructions because either way i'm not doing it the same way he did. buy a manual for both cars and compare that's really all you need to do.

now you calling me a clown, now i take that personal, and i will talk to you about that in person at the next meet i attend. just because i havent attended any meets LATELY doesnt mean i wont. i've known some of these guys (djplay, sillyazianz, rod, etc..) for while personally and each one will tell you i always try to help them out w/e i can. i'll leave it at that...

and iceberg, please, grow up. you're obviously missing the whole point there. out of all people, you went out and got a CUSTOM bumper made why? because you want to be different right? i bet your whole atitude would change if every other car you saw had your bumper, so for you to say i hate competion please...you have no idea how many various member's i've helped get parts for that i either have or i dont even have for myself. you just want to cheapen the whole the idea of trying to be different. for those who have the drive and money, go for it, and if not, well, we cant all be the same right?

maybe you guys dont like people disagreeing with you?

Cali
04-29-2005, 06:47 PM
I am getting the parts for my swap this up coming week, i am going to go ahead and get it done.

good shit. do the damn thing! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

roni
04-29-2005, 06:59 PM
btt ^^

post #1 has been updated..
and calm down everyone. there are plenty of questions that can be answered.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 07:08 PM
http://net127.com/archives/images/Vietcong-Starbucks-Remix.jpg

Roni I can't thank you and your boyfriend enough for the information.

6g72-5spd
04-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Hows the SDS doing under the boost, once I upgraded to stage 2 thats where the problems began...hence the removal of my SDS. How long the Stage 2 been in?
I had the sds installed in Dec. sometime. Started out with stage 2 but it kept hitting about 14-15 psi wich is not safe for stock internals. So i went down to the stage 1 pulley kept the boost cooler and added the gts manifold. Now i'm at 8 psi. This new setup feels stronger than stage 2 with the auto tranny. I've had some problems with it also but Ripp has been great about working on anything that comes up. I'm fortunately am only about 45 minutes away from there.

6g72-5spd
04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
so my question is...does the car actually drive...have you tested the transmission yet? just curious
Ask the guy in the 350z i raced the other day if it moves :twisted: .0-80 i had him by about 4 car lengths. Also the swap has been done for a little over a month so there has been plenty of road testing. This is also my daily driver. My round trip to and from work is about 70 miles every day.

6g72-5spd
04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
The car is also bone stock outside, a real sleeper
Even stock header back exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

6g72-5spd
04-29-2005, 07:38 PM
What about the number of splines on the axles? Are they exactly the same in both trannys?
Never counted the splines to see if there are the same amount but it fit and it drives so i would assume they are the same.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Even stock header back exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Wow thats really great to hear. Now are you also using stock muffler?

edit: I understand its sorta a dumb question, though Ive never been a big fan of aftermarket exhausts.

6g72-5spd
04-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Yes. As far as i know its the original muffler. The car is a 2000 and I've had it for 2 years. I know i never changed it.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 07:55 PM

Yes. As far as i know its the original muffler. The car is a 2000 and I've had it for 2 years. I know i never changed it.

WOW, that is very big suprise for me. That's really good to hear. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Cali
04-29-2005, 08:06 PM
im just stating the obvious. if you dont like it fine, that's your opinion and i respect that, but i never crossed the line and insulted you. like hsinya said, if you dont know what else is needed SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH. you think i have a tutorial on doing the swap? please. Stewi's been a big help but it's not like he's giving me step by step instructions because either way i'm not doing it the same way he did. buy a manual for both cars and compare that's really all you need to do.

Tell me, what should I search for? The differences between the auto and manual for a V6 for the swap that was just finished?
Hsinya, JUST posted about the other swap over at the 3G forums, which I wasn’t even aware of (despite the numerous searches over at club3g and neweclipse in the past). And if your so keen on doing the swap, why don’t you be useful and at least try to answer my original question.

now you calling me a clown, now i take that personal, and i will talk to you about that in person at the next meet i attend. just because i havent attended any meets LATELY doesnt mean i wont. i've known some of these guys (djplay, sillyazianz, rod, etc..) for while personally and each one will tell you i always try to help them out w/e i can. i'll leave it at that...

Granted your right I did insult you. I do apologize for that. Though don’t take this to mean that I’m afraid of meeting you in person. But if you still got beef with me calling you a clown online, we can discuss more about this in person on June 2nd. How’s that sound?

maybe you guys dont like people disagreeing with you?

WRONG. I don't like people giving telling me that I shouldn’t gather as much information as possible.

edit: Well looks like my question was answered. How about we drop this drama bs now?

Roni I can't thank you and your boyfriend enough for the information.

no harm done. i'm just rough sometimes when i speak.

hopefully my car will be finished by then (doubt it but we'll see) so i can finally go.

to add some kind of info, just make it simple and make sure you ask for the axles when you order the tranny makes things a whole lot easier.

roni
04-29-2005, 08:19 PM

hopefully my car will be finished by then (doubt it but we'll see) so i can finally go.

to add some kind of info, just make it simple and make sure you ask for the axles when you order the tranny makes things a whole lot easier.

:idea:
Axles, I updated the description in post #1. Make sure you specify ABS or non-ABS, they are different, and not interchangeable.

Jet Black
04-29-2005, 08:39 PM

Bro don't even worry about your car. Shit at the last meet I didn't even bother washing my car when I came (and this was MOD05). https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I think being able to get a few pics with your itself is enough satisfaction for many of the members.

Axles, I updated the description in post #1. Make sure you specify ABS or non-ABS, they are different, and not interchangeable.

Is there any specific reason you didn't go with a lightweight flywheel? This is basicly the last part of the desicion making process (so far I'm following your list, except I think im going to go for the ACT2100).
This is great, I can barely drive stick, and Im going straight to a heavy duty clutch. Im going to be doing burn outs everytime i take off from a stop sign.

BTW You got a reallly nice Mazda speed. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

roni
04-29-2005, 08:49 PM

Bro don't even worry about your car. Shit at the last meet I didn't even bother washing my car when I came (and this was MOD05). https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I think being able to get a few pics with your itself is enough satisfaction for many of the members.

Is there any specific reason you didn't go with a lightweight flywheel? This is basicly the last part of the desicion making process (so far I'm following your list, except I think im going to go for the ACT2100).
This is great, I can barely drive stick, and Im going straight to a heavy duty clutch. Im going to be doing burn outs everytime i take off from a stop sign.

BTW You got a reallly nice Mazda speed. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

they don't make an act 2100 for these cars. for the 4 cyl they do, but not the 6cyl

the lightened flywheel is a lot of money, and is not really necessary for any benefit. this car is not n/a, it is supercharged, so the benefit wasn't really there because,
i was looking at it this way, either:
-pay a little more then $1000 for the quaife, and stick with a stock flywheel,
or
-pay $400 for a fidanza flywheel and wait for them to make it and send it out, and still have an open diff with a supercharged manual galant.

the choice was easy to make.

thanks for the compliment but it's not really a mazda speed. just a nice handling mazda with speed added by yours truly.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Stewi
04-30-2005, 02:44 PM
ahem...ahem Roni???? im gettin no props at all................

Stewi
04-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Caution:
The clutch safety switch is not easily transferrable AFAIK, so be very careful not to leave your car in gear and try to start it, because it can accidentally be started without the clutch depressed. I am looking into a way to fix this, but as of now, it has not been completed.

Roni I went over that with you. You wire up the clutch safety switch so that when its not depressed it interupts the turn on lead for the starter. Just take the lead from the starter, use 16 ga. primary wire to the clutch switch, and then back to the starter. Personally I would wire it to like a toggle switch and put it somewhere discrete so you had to physically turn it on and off, because it would also act as an anti-theft device.

roni
04-30-2005, 04:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roni)</div><div class='quotemain'>Caution:
The clutch safety switch is not easily transferrable AFAIK, so be very careful not to leave your car in gear and try to start it, because it can accidentally be started without the clutch depressed. Â*I am looking into a way to fix this, but as of now, it has not been completed.</div>

Roni I went over that with you. You wire up the clutch safety switch so that when its not depressed it interupts the turn on lead for the starter. Just take the lead from the starter, use 16 ga. primary wire to the clutch switch, and then back to the starter. Personally I would wire it to like a toggle switch and put it somewhere discrete so you had to physically turn it on and off, because it would also act as an anti-theft device.</div>

yep. that's why i said i was looking into it, just said that as far as i know it's not easily transferrable, but similar to the reverse lights, there is a way to make it work..

when we were working on this, i tried and could not physically get a clutch safety switch at the time with all the other parts i ordered. i plan to obtain one new from a dealership. thanks.

Danger DANJ
04-30-2005, 05:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6g72-5spd)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FrankMB)</div><div class='quotemain'> The car is also bone stock outside, a real sleeper</div>
Even stock header back exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>
That's odd, because in your pic, I see what look like headers. Definitely not the stock manifolds. Besides, from what RIPP says, the stock manifolds will cause too much heat with the SDS. So, do you mean that you have stock cat-back exhaust or did you remove the headers and put the stock manifolds back on?

Jet Black
04-30-2005, 06:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6g72-5spd)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FrankMB)</div><div class='quotemain'> The car is also bone stock outside, a real sleeper</div>
Even stock header back exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>
That's odd, because in your pic, I see what look like headers. Definitely not the stock manifolds. Besides, from what RIPP says, the stock manifolds will cause too much heat with the SDS. So, do you mean that you have stock cat-back exhaust or did you remove the headers and put the stock manifolds back on?</div>

I think both him and I are a little bit lost on the correct definitions of the terms. When iread his post I only thought everything past the header, while cat-back I think everything past the cat (not including the cat itself). :?

roni
04-30-2005, 09:23 PM
RIPP headers but everything behind that is bone stock exhaust.

roni
04-30-2005, 09:34 PM

I wasn't mentioning names, didn't know who would want to be bothered with questions, etc.

Thank you for your advice along the way on this project Brian. Your guidance significantly influenced our confidence in attempting and finally completing this project. It took a few days to have it actually done, but took a lot longer to plan and piece together all the parts for this.

Feel free to chime in with any additional advice you may have to give to everyone.

Danger DANJ
05-01-2005, 11:00 AM
RIPP headers but everything behind that is bone stock exhaust.
Ah, well, you really should get a cat-back exhaust on there to free up a few more ponies. I highly recommend the Dynomax cat-back that I have for the Stratus coupe. It looks stock and is not loud at all. There is even a pretty long resonator built into the piping, which should keep the rasp from the RIPP headers down.

Stewi
05-01-2005, 09:52 PM

I wasn't mentioning names, didn't know who would want to be bothered with questions, etc.

Thank you for your advice along the way on this project Brian. Your guidance significantly influenced our confidence in attempting and finally completing this project. It took a few days to have it actually done, but took a lot longer to plan and piece together all the parts for this.

Feel free to chime in with any additional advice you may have to give to everyone.

Ohh believe me, your not the only one who had questions, I happily answer everyones questions, I get at least 3 PM's a day about the swap

peanotation
05-01-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah stewi, you were a good help with some of my newb pressure plate questions back in october. 5spd is still running like a champ :thumbsup:

biggerlandy
03-24-2009, 02:19 PM
hello all H here from good old blighty just to let you know that next week i am doing a auto to manual on a v6 and its been interesting reading about it on here if you like i will take photos and do a write up on it i will make a good report on mainly the problems i come across

hizzyisfresh
04-12-2009, 12:14 AM
hello all H here from good old blighty just to let you know that next week i am doing a auto to manual on a v6 and its been interesting reading about it on here if you like i will take photos and do a write up on it i will make a good report on mainly the problems i come across
hey how are you coming with you v6 auto to manual swap. I'm going to do mine and just started doing the research on all the parts im going to need.

ZigenScarface
04-12-2009, 01:28 AM
trollin

GOOSEY2099
04-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Amazing!

hizzyisfresh
04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
goosey i like your car....shit look hot.

6G72T
04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Im going to obviously need the flywheel's bolts, pressure plate's bolts; bolts from the auto tranny housing can be used for the 5sp too right?

boostzealot
04-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Im going to obviously need the flywheel's bolts, pressure plate's bolts; bolts from the auto tranny housing can be used for the 5sp too right?

if you need flywheel bolts i still have some fresh in the bag from the dealer i can sell you and the bolts that you use to mount the tranny to the block dont differ between the two tranny's. just make sure that they are torqued correctly per the service manual.

sponcar
04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
=D