PDA

View Full Version : S2 Gauges... Gone. Up in smoke.

BGR
04-29-2005, 04:26 AM
My S2 gauges have been flickering on an off for some months now but tonight as I was leaving work, I put in my key and started up the car and a nasty smelling cloud of smoke came billowing out of the instrument panel. I turned of the ignition and thought it was a fluke... you know when you just don't believe what you saw... so I turned the ignition on again and more smoke was pouring out of the cluster.

I removed the cluster and noticed that the S2 ignitor/ballast was melted. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

I had never had problems with the old AC EL gauges and as a matter of fact, this ignitor/ballast was from the original EL gauge setup. I don't know where the ignitor/ballast is from the S2 set as I moved since receiving these. For now, I'll just keep them out and use the stock black gauges. It's been a while since I've seen them. They probably look nice.

Has anyone else's S2 or EL gauge blew up on them?

Reelax
04-29-2005, 04:35 AM
my original inverter died so i replaced it w/ one from SPEEDHUT. it actually lights the EL almost twice as bright as the AC AUTOTECHNICS' inverter did.

BGR
04-29-2005, 06:01 AM
Did it look like this? The black controller.
http://www.speedhut.com/images_products/E-MI-GAL-01-NEW.jpg

If so, I can probably use the inverter from my Sentra EL gauge kit as it looks just like this one. I thought it was pretty ugly compared to the AC Autotechnics but if it works better...

Reelax
04-29-2005, 10:12 AM
naw it's this one:

http://www.speedhut.com/images_products/inverter_new_2color.jpg
http://www.speedhut.com/accessory_detail.a...AUTO_NUMBER=368 ('http://www.speedhut.com/accessory_detail.asp?AUTO_NUMBER=368')

but the one u posted should work too.

BGR
04-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Tight... thanks bro. I like that one better. Order placed.

Hey, I remember you telling me that you went a few days with your instrument cluster taken out and your battery died? I remember you saying something about them being connected somehow and if the cluster was removed, it would put a drain on the battery.

I'll put the cluster back in before heading out to work. I hope nothing else goes wrong. I just hope that burned plastic smell is gone by now.

ChikagoGTZ
04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Will that work with the S7 Autotechnic gauges, mine are too dim...

BGR
04-29-2005, 06:38 PM

They're the same thing. I'm a dumbass. S2, S7... I've been away for a while and forgot what they were called.

DryBear
04-30-2005, 03:04 AM

I've got the same one that Reelax has and it works fine on my S7s- much brighter too. I think the inverters are pretty much universal.

mrjaydeeone
04-30-2005, 03:14 AM
naw it's this one:

http://www.speedhut.com/images_products/inverter_new_2color.jpg
http://www.speedhut.com/accessory_detail.a...AUTO_NUMBER=368 ('http://www.speedhut.com/accessory_detail.asp?AUTO_NUMBER=368')

but the one u posted should work too.

I remember at somepoint these or likes this was on EBAY
I think Chip may have bought it but I am not sure, maybe it was someoneelse
but at anyrate there were mitsu diamonds on the front rather then speedhut
the guy was selling with mitsu or nissan or honda, etc...

BGR
04-30-2005, 03:43 AM
Yep. I remember that now. (The Mitsu symbol on the front).

BGR
04-30-2005, 03:45 AM

I've got the same one that Reelax has and it works fine on my S7s- much brighter too. I think the inverters are pretty much universal.

True, however, I bet the quality isn't the same. That inverter that came with the original reverse EL gauges looked nice but was probably cheap as all cheap, but it did last me about 4 years, though. The inverter with the big knob... that's just plain ugly.

mrjaydeeone
04-30-2005, 04:07 AM
Yep. I remember that now. (The Mitsu symbol on the front).
yup that's the one

True, however, I bet the quality isn't the same. That inverter that came with the original reverse EL gauges looked nice but was probably cheap as all cheap, but it did last me about 4 years, though. The inverter with the big knob... that's just plain ugly.

yeah I'll agree with that
I've had the same inverter for my S7s now that I had for my el reverse guages. been using same inverter for at least 4 years now

BGR
04-30-2005, 06:24 AM
I'd say watch out Jason, You may be due for an upgrade (the inverter).

pinoyesv6
04-30-2005, 10:28 AM
i think that would explain why that one night my guages kept blinking on and off while i was driving through this supposedly haunted part of town. or at least i hope. i should have a spare ballast somewhere. i'll go install taht sometime

peanotation
04-30-2005, 12:57 PM
this is the same one that comes with the 7G reverse EL gauges. huge piece of shit.

http://www.speedhut.com/images_products/E-MI-GAL-01-NEW.jpg

mrjaydeeone
04-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd say watch out Jason, You may be due for an upgrade (the inverter).

well mine actually would go off for a while while driving and then go back on I figured maybe something was loose from all the bumps that you cant avoid out here
It was actually a joke between me and my ex, that she was shutting them off when she was mad at me, and I would call her and tell her to cut the shit and they would go back on
but knock on wood they have been cool for a while now
yeah prolly gonna hafta at somepoint
I spoke to prophet a while back and he was gonna get or did get a bunch of inverters to keep in stock for any of us that have had problems and then mine has stop going off
*knock-on-wood*

FastNFabolous
05-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Cool! thanx guys. I think I'll get one too.

bergundy2k1
05-04-2005, 12:31 AM
I have been having the same problem, I have rewired them like 5 times but it works fine for a while and then it will go out, or blink. How do I connect the new inverter to the current gauges? Can anyone walk me through it, i am gonna order one from speedhut now.

pinoyesv6
05-04-2005, 01:12 AM
they should connect the same way was your old one did. just a different type of switch.

bergundy2k1
05-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks Pinoy, I ordered it a few minutes ago so it should be here maybe this week.

BGR
05-04-2005, 06:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd say watch out Jason, You may be due for an upgrade (the inverter).</div>

well mine actually would go off for a while while driving and then go back on I figured maybe something was loose from all the bumps that you cant avoid out here
It was actually a joke between me and my ex, that she was shutting them off when she was mad at me, and I would call her and tell her to cut the shit and they would go back on
I spoke to prophet a while back and he was gonna get or did get a bunch of inverters to keep in stock for any of us that have had problems and then mine has stop going off
*knock-on-wood*</div>

Don't be fooled by it Jason. That sounds just like mine. As a matter of fact, I cut the story short. The day before the inverted went up in smoke, I got tired of seeing the gauges go on and off, so I removed that black housing cover (with the dimmer control) and checked my power connection (that is where I have it connected). All was okay but the next night right before I was about to go home from work, I put the key in the ignition and poof. The burned plastic smell still lingers in the cabin.

I thought it was longer than just 5 days ago that I placed the order. It hasn't come in yet.

mrjaydeeone
05-04-2005, 05:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd say watch out Jason, You may be due for an upgrade (the inverter).</div>

*knock-on-wood*</div>

Don't be fooled by it Jason. That sounds just like mine. As a matter of fact, I cut the story short. The day before the inverted went up in smoke, I got tired of seeing the gauges go on and off, so I removed that black housing cover (with the dimmer control) and checked my power connection (that is where I have it connected). All was okay but the next night right before I was about to go home from work, I put the key in the ignition and poof. The burned plastic smell still lingers in the cabin.

I thought it was longer than just 5 days ago that I placed the order. It hasn't come in yet.</div>
Okay thanks Rich I will be on the look out

BGR
05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
I received the Speedhut replacement inverter today. I haven't installed it yet but just taking it out of the box, I can tell this one is made of much better material and is of superior quality over the factory inverter that came with the S7 and reverse EL (AC Autotechnics). It's much heavier too. I can't imagine this one melting. It's going to be nice having these gauges working properly again.

BGR
05-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Just installed the new inverter. Corrections to above post by me.

1) The new inverter is no better constructed than the original. Same weight and feel. The only difference is that the the dimmer control is better than the old one.

2) The brightness using the new inverter is no brighter than the old one. Looks the same - however, the old inverter when it was about to go out was much brighter.

The plus side to the new inverter is the flip switch for the blue and green color of the gauge and the brightness is controlled by a slide wheel. The slide wheel acts as a true dimmer switch when compared to the old touch pad of the original EL gauge inverter.

Reelax
05-08-2005, 03:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just installed the new inverter. Â*Corrections to above post by me.

1) The new inverter is no better constructed than the original. Â*Same weight and feel. Â*The only difference is that the the dimmer control is better than the old one.

2) The brightness using the new inverter is no brighter than the old one. Â*Looks the same - however, the old inverter when it was about to go out was much brighter.

The plus side to the new inverter is the flip switch for the blue and green color of the gauge and the brightness is controlled by a slide wheel. Â* The slide wheel acts as a true dimmer switch when compared to the old touch pad of the original EL gauge inverter.</div>

i guess my old inverter was just really dim. i had installed since i had my GDI gauges in. the S7 inverter must b in storage somewhere... maybe that one was brighter than the original GDI was.

BxGalant99
05-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Talking about problems with the S7 gauges, i just received a set of used gauges from a member of this forums. I installed them earlier today, but they dont work. I followed the tutorial from the DNA website.
Dont know what to do next...any suggestions ?

ipaintu
05-12-2005, 09:28 PM
didnt he sell them telling all that the Speedo one had a bad connector? I think so. Try asking him tho, he may have the answer your needing. I got a set of s7 from DNA I havent issues.. took me about 25 mins to install and easy to do. I got that same inverter from speedhut too. I love my setup well worth the 150.00 I have invested...I show them to friends and they want a set. Too bad they drive hunks of shit...

I have the one that came with the s7 if someone needs it. for 5 bucks and shipping maybe? If you ask nicely and paypal me shipping hell i may forget to get the 5 from you...
!!! :wink:

Up for sale are used Galant 8G S7 guages, comes with brand new standard speedhut inverter (tested on a 12v lantern battery) and tap connectors.

Guages are in excellent condition, except the speedo guage wire is loose (just needs to be taped down and works fine).

Thats the guy right? I hope it all works out. You wont be disappointed with them if so..

BxGalant99
05-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Yea thats it. I dont know about the wire being loose...even if so the other 2 gauges should work. :cry:

ipaintu
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
are you sure you have them connected right also? I did mine to my factory dimmer . Make sure you have a good contact too. I had to make sure mine was tight becuase thats only issues i had was blinking then once i took lilers to connectors i havent issues.

Good Luck tho..

Hey btw were did you get that E brake cover? I see that on yours and Danj s I like that.. That rear spoiler is hot too..

You really need a bumper cover/???

BxGalant99
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
i think its connected rite. the needles light up as well as the old gauges underneath, but nothing from the new gauges.i pmed the guy and im waiting on his response.
the e-brake cover is from ractive.
and all i need is to paint and install my rear bumper and sideskirts, and fix my actual front bumper.

mrjaydeeone
06-14-2005, 05:44 PM
I thinks it's now my time to get me a new inverter
as my guages haven't turned since they were acting up on Friday night
except for when I first turn my lights on the guages flash real qucik

bronxbombr
06-14-2005, 05:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BxGalant99)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think its connected rite. the needles light up as well as the old gauges underneath, but nothing from the new gauges.i pmed the guy and im waiting on his response. Â*
the e-brake cover is from ractive.
and all i need is to paint and install my rear bumper and sideskirts, and fix my actual front bumper.</div>

Dude, link up with me and i will check it for you and maybe give you some insight on what could be the prob.

Xavier22
06-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Jason, I got the lil' inverter w/ the mitsu. symbol for my guages for about 2 years now, no problem yet! only thing is I had to swap out guages, since the ol' school green and blue white face guages kind of melted a bit. other than that, the inverter is well worth it for reliance on working fine!

mrjaydeeone
06-15-2005, 05:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier22)</div><div class='quotemain'>Jason, I got the lil' inverter w/ the mitsu. symbol for my guages for about 2 years now, no problem yet! only thing is I had to swap out guages, since the ol' school green and blue white face guages kind of melted a bit. other than that, the inverter is well worth it for reliance on working fine!</div>

awesome
I'd like to be able to get the one with the mitsu diamonds on it but I have no idea where to get it from
is there a website or anything that I can try and get the one that you have