PDA

View Full Version : NEONS ON A SWITCH

dre24k
08-11-2002, 11:45 AM
I got six blue neons and need to hook them all up to one switch(on-off)
pls give detailed instructions on where to split the wire, ground, and power it up. thanks alot. These are the ones from walmart that have the cigaret adapter built in w/ musical glow for $9. :shock:

QnzMostWanted
08-11-2002, 12:22 PM
get a switch that can handle alot of power, get a 12 gauge source power wire and wire that to the source on the switch, wire all the power wires for ur neons and tap that to the acc on the switch, and u can ground them all at one point or various points depending on u, if u get a switch with a led on it, u can ground the neons and the switch together

GalantLadie
08-11-2002, 03:41 PM
heres what i did i got the same neons as u do i bought one of the mulit cig light adapter and mounted it into my trunk, plugged the neons into that. next i ran the mutli adapter to a switch, then i just ran the power for the switch from the battery. i ground the wires to the inside of my trunk. if u wanna see pics PM me and i will email them to you.

pinoyesv6
08-11-2002, 09:53 PM
my best bet is to first mount the swtich. mount it in a cetnral location like the center console. then i'd mount all the neons and ground them seperately. after that, i'd take all the power wires and run them all to that switch. soler the wires together to the switch. then i'd run another wire from the switch to your power source. the battery is a good place, but dont' forget an inline fuse. the fuse box is good or even the back of the cigarette lighter if you don't put that much of a load on the lighter itself.

Strahan
08-11-2002, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about finding a switch that can handle switching high loads, just use a relay it's safer. Hook all the neon + wires together and run to pin 30 of an SPST relay. Wire a good gauge fused power lead from pin 87 to a source that can power all the neons. Jumper pins 85 and 87. Run a lead from 86 to one side of the switch and another lead from the other side of the switch to ground. In that configuration, doesn't matter how robust the switch is.

dre24k
08-12-2002, 03:00 PM
can someone draw up a simple diagram to show how the wires connect to the switch, fuse, battery, and ground. Thats the hard part to me.....to many wires I got confused. Thanks for the help...really :wink:

Strahan
08-12-2002, 05:30 PM
can someone draw up a simple diagram to show how the wires connect to the switch, fuse, battery, and ground. Thats the hard part to me.....to many wires I got confused. Thanks for the help...really :wink:

http://www.galants.com/pics/diagram.gif

Crude, but you get the idea. I'm pretty sure that'd do it. I'm going from memory of relays. It's safest to route grounds to switches rather than power so there is less chance of shorts/fires. The pics should be self-explanatory, but if there are ?s lemme know.

PS.. that's an SPDT relay. If you buy an SPST the middle pin won't be there. Doesn't matter whichever one you buy, either will work in that configuration.

dre24k
08-16-2002, 12:21 PM
thanks that does help. i've got a rocker switch though with ground, accesory, and power connects from walmart.