PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using AutoTap

MrDomu
10-09-2002, 06:41 PM
I came across this ('http://www.autotap.com/products.html')

Anyone using it? I did a search of TGC and no hits, so whats up?

BGR
10-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Unless this gives you an answer as to how to fix the problem, I don't think this is useful for the average Galant owner. I mean, the check engine light comes on, I plug in this thing and run the diagnostic. It gives me a code... then what? Will it automatically fix the problem? No. I guess you can tell the mechanic when you bring in the car for servicing but this isn't going to stop them from running their own diagnostic. I guess it would be nice to see what mechanics see but if you don't know exactly what you're looking at, then there's no point to having it. This tool look really good and would be tight to integrate with a pop up TFT screen so you can monitor every aspect of what your Galant is doing and to do a little showing off but...

It's a good tool for gearheads but for the average Galant owner, $200+ would be better spent on some carbon fiber trim. Plus, this particular brand may not work with Mitsubishi cars.

- Sorry to sound so negative about it, but you wanted to know what's up.

pinoyesv6
10-09-2002, 07:27 PM
It looks like a good tool but its 200 dollars. I mean how often does ur check engine light come on anyways? Very rare. and then now if u want u can just roll down to autozone or something and they'll do the scan for u. I mean if u understand the code u might break out the service manual see what it might be and if u can tackle it then do it if not then go to a trained mechanic. but yea 200 dollars isn't really worth it for something u wouldn't even use that much

Fishboy55
10-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Yep, I agree with Rich and Allan. Autozone runs 'em for free. And if you really want to have a scanner. Just buy an OBD-II scan tool like they let you use at Autozone. They're half the price, about $100.

Chip

cdaw2001ES
10-09-2002, 10:05 PM
If you are your own mechanic, and are in to really tuning you car- yourself. Then Autotap software is an excellent choice. You could get a handheld ODBii Scanner for just a few $ more, w/ that you would not need the pc, but you don't get the cool graphics, and plain english trouble codes, nore the logging features.

If you need to dicifer the ODBII codes, all you need is a copy of the service manual.

00GTZ00
10-10-2002, 07:39 AM
AutoTap is an excelent tool if you want to see what your car is doing. I know MANY people that run it you can check everything on your car, Air/fuel ratio, detonation (knock), Timing advance/retard settings etc.

If you were to install a full exaust system and CAI then took your car out for a test run with this program hooked up to your computer you can record the A/F ratio in real time. And save it to your computer, so you can tell if if you are running rich or lean so you could make your adjustments.

here are some screen shots that show you what it looks like (notice on the first pic it shows the timing setup of the car)

http://www.nacher.net/temp/galant/at1.jpg
http://www.nacher.net/temp/galant/at2.jpg

MrDomu
10-10-2002, 12:10 PM
00GTZ00- nice reply and nice pics. Are those screen shots from your ride, if so, are you using the Chrysler software. Please post the exact stuff you have for your autotap setup. Thanks.

Its funny how some people bash this thing into the ground with a sledge hammer but yet they'll have the guy at Autozone tell them whats wrong with thier car. Nothing personal to anyone, all comments are welcome. Maybe you have the worlds greatest mechanics working at your Autozone store, but around here, the guy on the corner could probably fix my car before the guy at autozone. In other words, I'm not an average G owner. The hand held scan tool that reads the codes for you doen't automatically fix problems for you either and just because the code says the 'o2' senseor, it doent always mean thats what it end being the problem, for example. Funny that Autozone and AutoTap start out the same, hehe.

00GTZ00
10-10-2002, 12:49 PM
That is not pics from the G it is off of the autoTap site. They also have a fourm their so you can ask any questions about the program that you want on the site its' self.

LOL almost all autozones suck....anyway, I don't know about eveyone here, nut i love working on my car ( just need the funds for right now) and do not trust any auto mechanic. this tool helps the average person see what their car is doing and what is wrong with the car.

I went to the corvette dyno day here in houston last summer and allmost everyone was using Autotap to make sure that their car was running right to get the best dyno numbers that day. And I was very impressed on what the program can do. another alternitive to Autotap is http://www.obd2.com/ ('http://www.obd2.com/') they have some cool product their also. And hey If you need one for a crossfire corvette I know the guy that created the software program for the older vetts and has one for the crossfire....

Anyway unless you are serious about wanting to know what your car is doing at all times to get the best performace out of it I wouldn't even bother with any program like AutoTap or OBD2

Fishboy55
10-10-2002, 02:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrDomu)</div><div class='quotemain'>00GTZ00- nice reply and nice pics. Are those screen shots from your ride, if so, are you using the Chrysler software. Please post the exact stuff you have for your autotap setup. Thanks.

Its funny how some people bash this thing into the ground with a sledge hammer but yet they'll have the guy at Autozone tell them whats wrong with thier car. Nothing personal to anyone, all comments are welcome. Maybe you have the worlds greatest mechanics working at your Autozone store, but around here, the guy on the corner could probably fix my car before the guy at autozone. </div>
<span style='color:blue'>The Autozone near me doesn't have a shop. I go there to use the ODB2 scanner when I need to, which has been twice since I owned my car. </span>Yea, and it's nice to have all those extra displays. However, to get the more advanced screen shots that monitor everything like the one's posted, you'll need to buy the Manufacturer's Enhanced Parameters software, which costs $489.95. I don't really have that kind of cash to spend on a diagnostic tool. My car doesn't break that often to warrant it. If I want to tune my car, I'll get an S-AFC. Just my two cents.

Chip[/color]