PDA

View Full Version : What bushings get worn out the fastest?

Jet Black
05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I was wondering " ". Reason being is that, there is this really horrible noise coming from my drivers side suspension area. It sounds like what I would assume sticking baseball cards in the spokes of your bicycle sounds like. But the twist is that it sounds hollow. Another way to imagane it is as if one of the 3 scews on the strut tower is rubbing up and down the mount (take a screw and put it in a hole that is a bit to big; then run it back and forth really fast ~ the threads will make a beautiful noise much like my car).

I thought I fixed the problem by swapping out my struts. But it's still there.

So now Im guessing that it may be one of the bushings is fucked, and metal is getting lucky with other metal (got this idea from Danj's post).

So what bushings, in a 5+ year old car (thats been driven to hell), would get worn out the fasteset?

Thanks

edit: Also I should add that the sound only comes when the suspension is in a state of travel. The worse the roads, the more the noise. Also if I give the car gas, and the rear end squats, it will produce the noise (just a little bit of gas is enough to provoke it).

Danger DANJ
05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I'd be inclined to say it's the front sway bar bushings. I've read of a few Eclipses and Galants having their front sway bars rattling.

I remember riding in verywhite's Galant a couple years ago, driving through the Bronx, and his front sway bar was rattling badly. I expect something like that on his car, considering the crappy roads we all drive on in New York, but from someone in Cali?

neel9
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
when we change out shocks and struts, is there any thing else which should be change with it like bushings or??

Jet Black
05-04-2005, 03:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd be inclined to say it's the front sway bar bushings. I've read of a few Eclipses and Galants having their front sway bars rattling.

I remember riding in verywhite's Galant a couple years ago, driving through the Bronx, and his front sway bar was rattling badly. I expect something like that on his car, considering the crappy roads we all drive on in New York, but from someone in Cali?</div>

AHhh ok, this gives me a great lead to follow up on. I've noticed that the steering wheel jerks (very slightly) when the noise comes up. So it looks like it defintetly has to be some integral part of the suspension.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>when we change out shocks and struts, is there any thing else which should be change with it like bushings or??</div>

You shouldn't have to, but it might be a good idea to swap em out with polyeurothane.

Problem is that some of the bushings are VERY difficult to take out. IE some of them require a torch (not sure which ones though).

BILLET
05-04-2005, 05:31 PM
I got a tip for ya, stop driving over cliffs jk lol .