PDA

View Full Version : Why does the steering wheel shake, while I apply the brakes?

LaDyGaLaNt
10-09-2002, 09:38 PM
When I step on my brakes, the steering wheel, kinda vibrates. Are any of you having the same problem? I actually have 2 Galants 2001 and 2002 and an Eclipse 1996 and all 3 cars do the same thing when I apply the brakes. What should I do? :?

BGR
10-09-2002, 09:40 PM
Does it do it bad? Or subtle? Stock wheels?

It may have to do with the ABS (anti-lock) or your wheels not properly balanced. Hard to give you a definate answer.

Some shake is removed when you upgrade to larger wheels.

NRG
10-09-2002, 09:43 PM
I know the answer to that......Unfortunately Mitsubishi makes bad brakes and rotors........I had the same incident one day on my way to Vegas....My rotors got warped.......So all you need to do is either replace your rotors with aftermarket ones or you can simply resurface your rotors.....

pinoyesv6
10-09-2002, 09:47 PM
i'd also get the brakes checked. especially on the 2k1 and the eclipse. they might be warped or soemthing.

LaDyGaLaNt
10-09-2002, 09:54 PM
It doens't shake bad enuff to where I'm having a seizure, but the shaking doez worry me. All around I think I should have my brakes looked at or I think I'll just get new brakez. Ok guyz, now you guyz can throw me some namez or suggestionz on what brakez, etc., I should go for.... Spank Ya'...Holla!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
10-09-2002, 10:05 PM
i'd get em looked @ first by a trained professional. why u say? well, it might not be the brakes and you could buy brand new expensive brakes if u didn't need too yet...ya know

manybrews
10-09-2002, 11:23 PM
its warped rotors.

pretty common, NOT only on mitsus, but all car makes. (although mitsu seems to have a higher occurance).

make sure you get the rotors machined ON THE CAR, not off as 99 percent of the generic "brake job" places like midas does it.
machining them on the car fixes this issue about 75 percent of the time.

Gilhuly
10-10-2002, 11:12 AM
My dealer just sent me a special on brakes for new pads and resurface either front or rear for like $248. You might want to check if your dealer has this going if you don't do the work yourself. Personally I'd just buy new rotors and pads aftermarket. Actually, you may not need new pads and in all likelihood new front rotors would be the fix

TJC
10-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Like most ppl have suggested, it's more than likely the rotors are warped so that's why you only feel the shaking when applying the brakes. If it was anything else like unbalanced tires, improper tire pressure, or alignment, you'd feel it all of the time.

Something to consider, if your car is still under warranty, it may or may not be covered. For the price it takes to turn your rotors so they are true again, you might want to consider the alternative which is to just find aftermarket rotors now and save yourself the hassle later on. It's only going to be a little more for the new aftermarket replacements.

Turning your existing rotors is not cheap and only makes your rotors thinner which is even more susceptable to more warping. Mitsubishi rotors are very poor quality (at least the late model ones on Eclipse's and Galant's). And when replacing the rotors, make sure you do both of the front one's at the same time; the rear one's should be fine. Only replaced the rear rotors if you still have the problem after replacing the front ones.

FYI, beware of purchasing the Brembo OEM Eclipse replacement rotors for your Galant from NOPI; I've heard some other members having some fitment problems with their stock.

Wow, 3 cars worth...... you should be able to make a nice deal on a group buy service just by yourself. Definitely shop around and see if you can get a good deal on doing all 3 cars at the same time. :wink:

LatinGalant
10-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Question are the stock rotors on the galant from Factory from BREMBO. I found a site. Can you all PM me and let me know of quality rotors at a decent price for 2002 galant es i4 w/abs. I need to get them asap my brakes are shot.

Big H Killa
10-10-2002, 12:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>its warped rotors.

pretty common, NOT only on mitsus, but all car makes. (although mitsu seems to have a higher occurance).

make sure you get the rotors machined ON THE CAR, not off as 99 percent of the generic "brake job" places like midas does it.
machining them on the car fixes this issue about 75 percent of the time.</div>

Manybrews I know you are our in house Thec here but I had the same exact problem as she did and it ended up not being the rotor. It ended up being the Mitsu's shity brake pads. All I did was replace the pads and the shaking totally stopped. So LadyGalant it could be something as simple as the pads but like manybrews said it could be warped rotors also. So check out your pads first if there getting low replace them b/c they will need to be replaced anyways and if that doesn't help then have them checked out by a trustworth mechanic. Besides Brake pads are only like 20 bucks.

TJC
10-10-2002, 12:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LatinGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Question are the stock rotors on the galant from Factory from BREMBO. Â*I found a site. Â*Can you all PM me and let me know of quality rotors at a decent price for 2002 galant es i4 w/abs. Â*I need to get them asap my brakes are shot.</div>

No. Factory OEM brakes are not from Brembo. Brembo brakes are pretty high quality but the one's sold at NOPI are not the right size (don't know where the mixup is there).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big H Killa)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Manybrews I know you are our in house Thec here but I had the same exact problem as she did and it ended up not being the rotor. It ended up being the Mitsu's shity brake pads. All I did was replace the pads and the shaking totally stopped. So LadyGalant it could be something as simple as the pads but like manybrews said it could be warped rotors also. So check out your pads first if there getting low replace them b/c they will need to be replaced anyways and if that doesn't help then have them checked out by a trustworth mechanic. Besides Brake pads are only like 20 bucks.</div>

I know a lot of problems might actually not be from warped rotors but usually not the case for these poor quality rotors from Mitsubishi. Anyway, a big factor in brakes is the break in period on both rotors and pads. If not done properly, could lead to potential problems like warped rotors but also lots of other things. Below is a great link to Stoptech that talks about brakes.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped...rotors_myth.htm ('http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm')

LatinGalant
10-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Here you go guys the link to the site where I bought the rotors and pads 154.00 for rotors and pads. http://catalog.thepartsbin.com/?year=2002&...&imageField.y=9 ('http://catalog.thepartsbin.com/?year=2002&make=MI&imageField.x=43&imageField.y=9')

Auto-9
10-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Why not just borrow the Evo's braking design eh... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

2k1GTZ-PHX
10-10-2002, 05:24 PM
my 2k1 gtz has 41k miles on it...so far, i have had to replace the brake pads and rotate the rotors. well, the rotors can not be rotated again and guess what...the front end is starting to shake again from braking again....

so, just be prepared to replace the rotors....

LaDyGaLaNt
10-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Okay, this iz all tooooo muuuucch :barf: ....I think I have a headache! From all this info I think I've decided to just change the rotorz and brake padz. Let me know if anything else needz to be changed. Now, I need to know what brand to buy at a good price---Keep in mind I pay rent, got 2 kidz, 3 car notez....hehehehehehehehe, j/k! :wink: But 4 real holla back! Thanx again.... :sup:

LatinGalant
10-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Everybody here's the scope for 2002 galants brake parts are scarce and they are not the same as the Eclipse or previous galants. I did however find one place that has rotors not OEM I understand from the company that there made in Europe I don't know the brand name and they have brake pads at decent prices, I ordered them today. www.thepartsbin.com Depending on the quality from the pads I also found at the www.thetirerack.com EBC brake pads only brake pads. I will be getting the shipment by next wednesday I will post how the install went. Any questions PM me. Also Eclipses and Galants have brake problems, no matter how anybody puts it there bad and it's the quality of the brakes I think I will test that theory after the install. Mitsubishi will turn and turn and turn your rotors till there nothing I recommend to everybody even people buying new galants the car itself is good for the price but the first time you start having problems with the brakes do yourself a favor go aftermarket anything else but mitsu parts. Agian PM me if you have any questions.

LatinGalant
10-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Friends I have great news, the rotors are BREMBO not sure the name of the pads but who cares if they give me any problems I will buy the EBC from tirerack. Let me tell you all that the rotors from mitsubishi are 101.00 each here in Orlando and at this website there 52.00 each for BREMBOS!!!. In my search for a good rotor I have come to understand that brembos are great rotors and have a good history and quality. I definelty happy now that I know that so agian I will let you all know how the install goes and if so BOOM we found a vendor. I would recommend that we definatley do business with them if all goes well with the install. Thus far customer service has been excellent.

ozkrow
10-21-2002, 05:10 PM
dude just get your tires balanced...thats gonna be it...if you havent had any brake work done, then its the tires...the only way its gonna be the rotors is if your drove around on bad brakes, and believe me youll notice by the sound... so just get your tires balanced...

Auto-9
10-21-2002, 05:19 PM
In my search for a good rotor I have come to understand that brembos are great rotors and have a good history and quality.

Yep they're not too shabby...usually get good results in comparison tests and the Mustang Cobras come from the factory with them.