PDA

View Full Version : Changing the rear drum brake shoes

MITSUMANIAC
10-10-2002, 01:34 AM
Hi, it's time to change the brake shoes on my 8g. does anyone know how to get cover of the drum off so I can get to the brake shoes? Any information is helpful.

TJC
10-10-2002, 01:40 AM
Just remove wheels, release parking brakes, pull drums straight out and off. If they don't come out easily, just use a rubber mallet and tap lightly all around the drum or try wiggling it a little. It is supposed to come right off easily otherwise your wheels wouldn't be spinning.

icEbErg629
12-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Just remove wheels, release parking brakes, pull drums straight out and off. If they don't come out easily, just use a rubber mallet and tap lightly all around the drum or try wiggling it a little. It is supposed to come right off easily otherwise your wheels wouldn't be spinning.

anybody know the process of changing rear brake shoes? I haven't changed mine for 7 yrs and was wondering if there's a tutorial for it somwhere. I don't want to start hacking on them and find out that there's more to it than it seems. I'd appreciate any help! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

SkylineG1
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm not changing a thing. I hate drums so I'm converting to disc. Damn giving secrets away :twisted:

little blue
12-21-2005, 08:10 AM
I just did mine a week ago. here is how you do it.

Make sure you have all tools first: pick up new spring kit with the brakes, hammer, needle nose plyers, small screw driver, and a spring remover(you can pick this up from autozone)

1. get the rear of your car in the air.

2. take the wheels off and remove the drums (hammer or small sledge, you can also use 2 bolts to thread into the drum to remove them)

3. only do one side at time (you will need to be able to look at the other side when putting them together)

4. remove the bottom spring first. this will make it easier to remove everything else

5. remove the springs using the spring remover from the shoes.

6. use the needle nose to remove the outer spring first

7. remove the inner spring

8. replace all necessary hardware

9. remove brake cable last. (you will need to use a small screw drive to
pry the catch ring off the pin (remove pin and replace with new)

10. when putting the pin in the shoes use a screw driver to open the hole up, trust me you will if the are duralast.

11. put everything back the way you took them off(use the other side as a reference for this, just remember everything will be opposite from the other side)

12. getting the drums on you will need to use the screw driver for this. turn the little gear near the outer spring, you need to close the gap next to it.

13. once you have this closed, use your drum to check your parking brake settings. if the drum goes on real easy take it off and open the gap back up at little bit(keep checking with the drum for this) you are looking for a snug fit.

if you need help you can always call the dealership or a brake place and they can assist on the phone.