PDA

View Full Version : ? on gauges

ShyLynn 8G
05-07-2005, 09:54 PM
i downloaded the gauge template and created my own gauges my only question is what sort of paper do i use to print them onto? do i use plan ol computer paper or something like photo paper?

yourbullit
05-08-2005, 12:45 AM
found this on search, its fairly easy to use

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WanderingPinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>What do you print it on? Plain paper or some special plastic? How do you get them lit?</div>

I printed them on some Epson Photo Quality Glossy Paper. That paper is thicker than average paper and holds up well. The whole white area of the faces lights up, but you have to remove your needles to install them. Also, you have to remove the stock faces. I changed my cluster bulbs to red ones so the faces would light up red. The clear plastic pieces behind the gauge faces can sort of be seen because they cast slight shadows, but the mod looked good for a free one. The only problem is trying to put your needles back on and re-calibrating them to read properly. When I originally did this mod, there were no gauge faces available for the Galant.</div>

BGR
05-08-2005, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. I created the templates and was the first to do it many years ago. You have to remove your gauge needles and the original black face gauges to put them on. You may be able to get away with putting them on over your stock gauges but you'll have to cut out each notch and number, etc. so the light will shine through. When you replace the black gauges for the printed gauges, it's best to use colored bulbs. I painted mine red (today you can just buy colored bulbs or LED bulbs - 194's I think). It looks okay and I wish I had my pics to post so you can get an idea but like I said, I wouldn't recommend it. I ended up buying another gauge cluster. Sure I could have went to a place to calibrate it but I had other reasons as to why I wanted to do a cluster swap. Reverse EL gauges are really cheap nowadays but in the beginning they weren't.

But to answer your question, regular glossy photo paper that you use in your inkjet printer works best.

BKLYNLANG1
05-08-2005, 08:36 AM
where did you download gauge templates from, if you dont mind me asking

pinoyesv6
05-08-2005, 11:23 AM
there is a way to get the gauge faces on without removing hte needles. but you'll see there's a catch.

first. on the holes for the needles, you have to cut them a lil bit bigger than what is on the template. thats why with the EL gauges people can just slip them on without removing the needles.

about the stock gauges. if you cut out the old gauges, then you don't have to remove the needle. the catch is, you can't go back to using factory faces unless you find a set.

as for hte type of paper, you can use any type of paper you want. from photo paper, to clear transparency paper to some kinda floral print. totally up to you. but my suggestion is to stick a flashlight behind hte paper to make sure that the light does go through it so you can see at night.

as for where to get the template, click my www. and there should be a link on my page to it