PDA

View Full Version : police & front window shield tinting

g-ridda
05-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Ok this is the deal i got my windows tinted 20% all around except the front window shield. and it looks lighter because (like 35%in front and 20%in the back)the front window shield aint tinted.

My main question is for all the people with their window shield tinted wuts the chances that ill get pulled over and is it any more illegal than having your windows tinted to dark?

bergundy2k1
05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
You should check the local laws in your state. But one thing I can tell you is that dark tinted winows it not a moving violation therefore you do not get any demerit points. Secondly it is a seconday offence, which means is that you usually don't get pulled just for tha, there has to be another reason for the stop, but you cannot prove that you got pulled only for the tint. I have had mine for about 3 years, 20% all around with 5% in the rear windshiled making it look a whole lot darker. The thing that has saved me a ew times it my sun roof. When I see a state trooper I usually open the shade up and it makes it seem lighter inside the car. Check your local state police website and see what the restictions on window tinting are. I have not gotten pulled for it yet ( knock on wood) but my ex got pulled about a month after she got hers and hers is lighter than mine. Also I know that most places you have to have a doctors note etc sayign why you need to have your front windshiled tinted, but if you get it done in like say a light mirror tint they may never even notice.

g-ridda
05-08-2005, 03:00 PM
ok koo yea i was trien to get like inbetween 40 and 50 % not to dark ya kno

Donovan
05-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Here is my plan...
20% rear windows , and backglass
put a small shade band about 9inchs down from the top of my windshield..just for son not for "cover" , I leave my front windows non tinted so the cops wont fuck with me.

NYmagicstk
05-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Any body know any doctors that would write me a note saying that I need my front windshield tinted? :twisted:

wannabee
05-08-2005, 07:42 PM
make that a group note so every1 at TGC can have one :twisted: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

SkylineG1
05-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Funny enough I was on the NY DMV site today and just happened to check that out. The law in NY states that you cannot have any tint below 30%. So I'm in the clear 'cause mine are tinted 35%.

devgrp
05-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Well in NYC cops dont mess with you for tints. As to what bergundy2k1 said, They wont stop you for tints. They will probably check if they stop for something else though.

Last year when I had NY plates I got stopped. Cops were doing random checks and it just so happened that I did'nt have my wallet so I go a ticket for no license, no insurance and for my tints being 32%. This was the first time I ever saw a tint meter, since cops in NYC dont usually carry them. They said if I removed the tints they would dismiss the ticket. I said fuck it and went and got my tints darker. Its now 18% all around.

Now when my parents moved to Charlotte, I registered my car down there, and everywhere I went to get inspection, said that I would'nt pass because my tints are too dark. Now since I dont live in NC, its not really a problem. My biggest fear is being pulled over in NC without an inspection sticker. The tints is not really a problem.

Anyone know where I could go in Charlotte to past inspection with my tints being 18%? I dont care if I have to pay money. I'll be in Charlotte from June 10-19. I'll be in the University area so if anyone knows, just give me a holla.

IceDouTGaLanT
05-08-2005, 08:45 PM
i got 20% All the way around to in DE, and i got pulle dover 3 times just for the TINTS and hada pay a fine $35 plus gota go threw inspection.

8G_GTZ
05-08-2005, 09:24 PM
i've got 5% all the way around. pulled over 8 times none for tints. i have the windshield visor also which only goes down to the mirror. i've had it all since last feb. no shit yet from cops.

Steve

chromey
05-08-2005, 09:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Funny enough I was on the NY DMV site today and just happened to check that out. The law in NY states that you cannot have any tint below 30%. So I'm in the clear 'cause mine are tinted 35%.</div>

you read it wrong. the legal amout of tint in ny is 70%, meaning 70% of the light has to pass thru. and 70% is almost "no tint" at all because its so light. Ive gotten ticketed for 35% tints up front in my neon. The reason I got pulled over was speeding, and teh asshole decided to ticket me for tints too. He radioed over another car that had a tint-o-meter. Its a $35 equipment violation with a $30 surcharge and you have 14 days to pay.

The front windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. If you have 35% tints (like me), only 35% of light passes thru.

Another time I was pulled over by a female officer for just tints. 35% up front. she held my driver license up against the inside of the drivers side window, since she was able to read thru the tint, she let me go.

But sometimes you get asshole cops who will ticket you for the front AND the back! this happened to my girl who's got 20%'s all around her sentra, as well several other people around my way. Its not worth fighting cuz the judge will make you take it off if he waives the fines anyway.

simply put: tinted front windows are illegal in NY and NJ, but u will get away with it unless you get stopped for something else

my galant is tinted 35% front and 20% back. but the tint brand they used, sunguard, runs light I think cuz the tint is really fucking light. It sucks.

SkylineG1
05-08-2005, 09:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Funny enough I was on the NY DMV site today and just happened to check that out. The law in NY states that you cannot have any tint below 30%. So I'm in the clear 'cause mine are tinted 35%.</div>

you read it wrong. the legal amout of tint in ny is 70%, meaning 70% of the light has to pass thru. and 70% is almost "no tint" at all because its so light. Ive gotten ticketed for 35% tints up front in my neon. The reason I got pulled over was speeding, and teh asshole decided to ticket me for tints too. He radioed over another car that had a tint-o-meter. Its a $35 equipment violation with a $30 surcharge and you have 14 days to pay.

The front windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. If you have 35% tints (like me), only 35% of light passes thru.

Another time I was pulled over by a female officer for just tints. 35% up front. she held my driver license up against the inside of the drivers side window, since she was able to read thru the tint, she let me go.

But sometimes you get asshole cops who will ticket you for the front AND the back! this happened to my girl who's got 20%'s all around her sentra, as well several other people around my way. Its not worth fighting cuz the judge will make you take it off if he waives the fines anyway.

simply put: tinted front windows are illegal in NY and NJ, but u will get away with it unless you get stopped for something else

my galant is tinted 35% front and 20% back. but the tint brand they used, sunguard, runs light I think cuz the tint is really fucking light. It sucks.</div>

I reread it and yeah I read it wrong. Well who cares I'm keeping it. Cops can see me through it anyway and I'm not doing nothing illegal, so if they want to ticket me for it go ahead.

g-ridda
05-08-2005, 10:13 PM
lol wut up devgrp. once again man jus hit me up i kno some places u can.

devgrp
05-08-2005, 11:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'>lol wut up devgrp. once again man jus hit me up i kno some places u can.</div>
Aight man cool. I'll holla when I get a chance

thebirdman13
05-09-2005, 09:16 AM
i've got 20% all the way around and 14" of black vinyl on the windshield and haven't gotten pulled over for anything in 2 years.... of course i'm in NC

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/550000-550999/550018_59_full.jpg

styles430
05-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I have 15% all around and have never had problems. I've gotten pulled for loud music and they said nothing about the 15% tints. He just pulled out his flashlight so he could actually see in https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I'm in NC by the way, law used to be 35% here but recently dropped to 32%

My inspection is due this month. Might go today. Hopefully they'll pass me, it's guys I usually go to https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pvu_rida
05-09-2005, 11:19 AM
the easiest way to get around an inspection is to roll your windows down and disconnect the wires inside of your drivers side door panel to keep your windows from rolling up or down.

Chris9770
05-09-2005, 11:31 AM
It will depend on the police in you area. I have two sheets of 20% on my side windows, 20% on the back windshield and 35% on my front windshield (the whole window). I never got pulled over, but I do have a sunroof and I open that sometime. I'm going to have another sheet of 20% on my back windshield. I will take some new pics so you can see it.

mrjaydeeone
05-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I've had 20% all around minus the front window where I have a sheet of vinyl thats gotta be like 9 or 10 inches down for like the last 4 years or so and haven't had a problem with it (knock on wood), never got sopped just for tint and anytime in NY or NJ that I have gotten pulled over for somethingelse the tint was never brought up
I know people here with tint all around and tint on the windsheild you cant see in the car at all day or night and they haven't had any problems either
I have been thinking about getting the front tinted cept the only place around here that I know will do it wants $150 just to do the windsheild alone

I was always told you wont get stopped for the tint unless you are driving stupid
and if you get pulled over for somethingelse like speeding or whatever the tint can be to your advantage cause maybe the cop will let you off with tickets for tint instead, which are no points

steve urkel
05-09-2005, 06:41 PM
ive gotten 2 tint tickets, and both times, i was pulled over JUST FOR TINTS!!

neither time was i doing anything else illegal, like speeding or loud music or whatever. the first time i actually had my grandmother in the car with me b/c i was bringing her to church, and some dickhead cop pulled me over and sed my tints were way too dark.

the second time i was stopped at a light, about 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day in a not so great neighborhood (jersey street for all you staten islanders). my front windows were rolled halfway down, and the pig made a u-turn behind me and got me just for tints. i told him to go pick out a random person walking the street and they were bound to have some sort of weapon or drug on them, but they didnt go for that.

i have 20% all around by the way.

$30 fine plus $30 surcharge, both times. (grandma paid the first one!)

chromey
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive gotten 2 tint tickets, and both times, i was pulled over JUST FOR TINTS!!

neither time was i doing anything else illegal, like speeding or loud music or whatever. the first time i actually had my grandmother in the car with me b/c i was bringing her to church, and some dickhead cop pulled me over and sed my tints were way too dark.

the second time i was stopped at a light, about 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day in a not so great neighborhood (jersey street for all you staten islanders). my front windows were rolled halfway down, and the pig made a u-turn behind me and got me just for tints. i told him to go pick out a random person walking the street and they were bound to have some sort of weapon or drug on them, but they didnt go for that.

$30 fine plus $30 surcharge, both times. (grandma paid the first one!)</div>

what the fuck were u doing on jersey st? a white boy will get pulled over/shot at in a heartbeat lol

mrjaydeeone
05-10-2005, 12:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive gotten 2 tint tickets, and both times, i was pulled over JUST FOR TINTS!!

what the fuck were u doing on jersey st? a white boy will get pulled over/shot at in a heartbeat lol</div>

http://www.anorexicsumo.com/images/smilies/werd.gif

steve urkel
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive gotten 2 tint tickets, and both times, i was pulled over JUST FOR TINTS!!

what the fuck were u doing on jersey st? a white boy will get pulled over/shot at in a heartbeat lol</div>

http://www.anorexicsumo.com/images/smilies/werd.gif</div>

haha yeah you should see the looks i get when im going into the buildings.

chromey
05-10-2005, 03:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive gotten 2 tint tickets, and both times, i was pulled over JUST FOR TINTS!!

haha yeah you should see the looks i get when im going into the buildings.</div>

get the FUCK out of here, u go into those building???!!!!!!!!!!!??!!!

and u lived to talk about it too!

holy shit!

456 jersey st is one of the most dangerous buildings in the new york city metropilotian area lol

mrjaydeeone
05-10-2005, 05:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve urkel)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive gotten 2 tint tickets, and both times, i was pulled over JUST FOR TINTS!!

haha yeah you should see the looks i get when im going into the buildings.</div>

used to be the same with me. I used to deliver for a drug store and lots of customers where located over in that neck of the woods

steve urkel
05-10-2005, 06:25 PM
i deliver the paper, and i go into all the buildings all over the island. stapleton, mariners harbor, richmond terrace, etc etc. during the day its nothin, but sometimes at night it can be awkward, but its all good, i walk thru there with my head up high and no1 fucks with me.

LasVegas01
05-11-2005, 12:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>i've got 20% all the way around and 14" of black vinyl on the windshield and haven't gotten pulled over for anything in 2 years.... of course i'm in NC

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/550000-550999/550018_59_full.jpg</div>

My setup is exactly the same, except with 5% tint. No problems. If you are really worried about it, when you see a cop, roll your damn windows down (it lets the smoke out, but oh well).

NYmagicstk
05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
It will depend on the police in you area. I have two sheets of 20% on my side windows, 20% on the back windshield and 35% on my front windshield (the whole window). I never got pulled over, but I do have a sunroof and I open that sometime. I'm going to have another sheet of 20% on my back windshield. I will take some new pics so you can see it.
<span style='color:blue'> So you can put two layers of tint on a window with no problems (bubbles, peeling, window not rolling down/up, etc)? Can you take some close up pics of your car so I can see what the front windshield looks like with 35% on it, and the windows with two layers of 20% too please. I was thinking about putting a layer of blue, then a layer of mirror tint behind it on the sides and back window, and a layer of blue on the front. I'd like to get the sides and back so no one can see in, and just put something on the front to cut down on glare.</span>

Chris9770
05-13-2005, 06:51 AM
I'll try to get some pics up today but it's cloudy, but I'll get some good shots for you when I get off work.

devgrp
05-13-2005, 07:06 AM
[quote=Chris9770]It will depend on the police in you area. I have two sheets of 20% on my side windows, 20% on the back windshield and 35% on my front windshield (the whole window). I never got pulled over, but I do have a sunroof and I open that sometime. I'm going to have another sheet of 20% on my back windshield. I will take some new pics so you can see it.
<span style='color:blue'> So you can put two layers of tint on a window with no problems (bubbles, peeling, window not rolling down/up, etc)? Can you take some close up pics of your car so I can see what the front windshield looks like with 35% on it, and the windows with two layers of 20% too please. I was thinking about putting a layer of blue, then a layer of mirror tint behind it on the sides and back window, and a layer of blue on the front. I'd like to get the sides and back so no one can see in, and just put something on the front to cut down on glare.</span>
Yeah, I also have two layers of tints on my windows.

Blizz
05-16-2005, 08:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok this is the deal i got my windows tinted 20% all around except the front window shield. and it looks lighter because (like 35%in front and 20%in the back)the front window shield aint tinted. Â*

My main question is for all the people with their window shield tinted wuts the chances that ill get pulled over and is it any more illegal than having your windows tinted to dark?</div>

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/ ('http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/')

Clik the link it kept me outta some ish

str8304
05-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I currently have 5% on top of 5%. It is extremely dark and very dangerous to see at night unless you are use to it. When it was metered, it registered at 0%. When I had to get my inspection, all I did was disconnect the driver side control panel (after I rolled all of the windows down of course) and went to the inspection station. They asked what was wrong with my switch and I told them that someone broke in and damaged the switch box therefore my windows do not roll up or down. They was like, ok. Gave me my sticker and I rolled out. When you get inspected, it does not matter whether or not your windows work.