PDA

View Full Version : Is this a dumb question?

Mitsufied
10-10-2002, 11:37 AM
If you put a new engine and trans in your 7G...... is it okay to reset your odometer?

And if it is okay to do so........ how do you reset it?

seth98esT
10-10-2002, 12:02 PM
it is not ok...it is illegal i believe

they have a lot of laws regarding your odometer so dealers wont set it back to make it look like there are less miles then there really are.

if you are going to sell it after you put a new motor in, write down what mileage the car had when you put in the new engine so you can tell the buyer exactly how many miles the new engine has

Big H Killa
10-10-2002, 12:05 PM
There is a legal way to go about this. You have to go to the dealer and have them put a new odometer in and then they will put this little sticker on your door sill saying the mileage of the old gauge and then you are fine legally. But if you want to just have them turn it back I know a guy down here in Florida that will do it for 600.00 if you want him to I'll get you the number all you gotta do is pm me.

Mitsufied
10-11-2002, 10:05 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big H Killa)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is a legal way to go about this. You have to go to the dealer and have them put a new odometer in and then they will put this little sticker on your door sill saying the mileage of the old gauge and then you are fine legally. But if you want to just have them turn it back I know a guy down here in Florida that will do it for 600.00 if you want him to I'll get you the number all you gotta do is pm me.</div>

Thanks for the info guyz.

I like what you said about having the dealer put a new one in and putting the sticker on my door sill. I'll pass on the other solution.

Jesse
10-11-2002, 03:34 PM
$600, wow that's expensive.

If you pay for the shipping, I'll do it for $50

If you get it rolled back, I'd make sure that when you sell it or get it serviced at the dealer, that the mileage is more than what the dealer saw it last time.

If you get bought the car with 100k, then took it to the dealer at 125k for oil change, then they know that it has at least 125k miles on it.

evil-G-nius
10-13-2002, 04:07 PM
Yeh but when you swap the engine and the tranny, chances are you are gonna need a new computer. Unless of course you are swapping for the same engine but then that would defeat the purpose. Why would it not be ok to rollback the odometer? I mean the only problem the government has with it is it is decieving to buyers. If you are keeping the car it shouldnt be a problem. Plus if you do decide to sell, keep all the paperwork of your swap and tell the prospective new buyer that the computer, trans and engine were changed and that the odo. was set to the milage of the engine dropped in. I dont see how that is wrong or deceptive. Can someone help out on this?

seth98esT
10-13-2002, 04:46 PM
i would have to agree with you kimya...but i think there still is laws against rolling it back...you have to get a something from the gov saying it is ok.

Dracas
10-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Theres like a $50,000 fine for illegal rollbacks, not to mention jailtime. The odometer reads for the entire cars experience, not just the engine - thats why their are laws against it. If you totally rebuild a car, with new parts - then yeah, rollbacks legal, but unless you change out the chassis and everything else with the engine and tranny, you're looking at boo-koo fines and jailtime for rolling back the odometer

the only solution I'd seriously recommend unless you're already hiding out from some big drug deal and have already faked your own death (snickersnort) then go to the dealer, have them put the sticker on your windshield (some put it on the underside of the hood I believe) and then have them install the new odometer.

Just for reference, even that is illegal in some states.

Big H Killa
10-17-2002, 09:41 AM
And for all you people that say roll it back tell me how you are gonna roll back an Odometer that is digitally controlled. Next the guy that I said will put the mileage to what ever you want it also changes the mileage in the computer so noone will ever know that you did change the mileage except if someone has it recorded for more mileage.

Nick VR4
10-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Dont know about tranny but engine its normal to have a sticker
and service book marked and a official letter
so when you sell its legal

Dracas
10-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Hey Killa...

"Digital" ? What the heck are you talking about. My Odometer is analog/radial, and as far as I know Mitsubishi doesn't *USE* Digital Odometers unless you physically changed yours.

Also, for record, the ECU learns RPM Curves and employs fuzzy logic algorythms to your driving style to make a smooth ride. It doesn't however record how many miles you've taken a car, as it'd take way too much memory and processing power to store an odometers 7 digit 8-byte value along with all the other information the ECU spits around. So ECU no workie like Odometer :idea:

g96nt
10-17-2002, 07:11 PM
I remember.. with my old Volvo.. when I switched gauge clusters... I took a Drill, and "forwarded" the odo. until i got back Around, past 999999 and back to 230k =0]

just for accuracy.

most odomoeters Will change colors and/or mis-align when rolled back.

manybrews
11-07-2002, 08:17 PM
its TOTALLY illegal.
period.
no exceptions.