PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea..

pLUGSNEt
05-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I have a few questions... And i would rather you not post a respones talking about you search feature.. because it doesnt answer as easily to my directed questions...

OK...

I am bout to lower my car.. getting coilovers cuzz i not sure how low im gonna go...

Now what exactly do shocks do?? Like im confused on the whole suspension stuff.. if i add coil overs.. that replaces my stock springs rite... but that still leaves me with stock shocks... by changing shocks what will that do?? I see alot of people buying springs and like shocks... I dont know what shocks do...

Also what are struts and what do they do???

pinoyesv6
05-11-2005, 09:03 AM
what is your definition of coilover?? i mean do you mean coilover like adjustable springs like from ground control and skunk2 or do u mean real coilovers like the ones from tein, JIC and etc??

Shock absorbers and struts are quite similar in some ways. They both dampen the bounce of the tire and stabilize the vehicle. the big difference between the two though is that the strut, aka the macpherson strut has a mount on it that allows it to move around as you steer.

if you add adjustable springs, they replace your stock springs, if you install actual coilovers, then they replace your factory strut/shock also.

changing your shocks and struts when you add new springs, or adjustable springs won't really do much. i guess if you add adjustable ones thats one thing. but in fact they really don't do much. people change them anyways because when you lower your car, you tend to put more stress on the factory shocks/struts and cause them to fail prematurely. putting in the new shocks/struts as the same time as the springs just saves time and money in the long run.

pLUGSNEt
05-11-2005, 12:46 PM
So if your saying, if i get coil overs.. they will replace my springs.. shocks and sturts... hencing that all i would need would be coil overs?

pinoyesv6
05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
if you get coilovers like this
http://scionsport.com/store/images/tein-bas.gif

then they replace your stock struts and shocks.

if you get adjustable springs like these
http://www.makeitfast.com/images/groundcontrol.jpg

then they only replace the spring

Skillz911
05-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah definitely dont just get coilovers with out replacing your stock shocks/struts. I would recommend a combo like ground control coilovers and kyb agx. Or If your willing to spend more cash..go with something like the tein basic damper kit (kit I have) or the tein ss kit.

I know you said you dont want responses that tell you to search,
But to be honest you dont have to, if you browse like the last 2-3 pages
There are posts that will help you out alot if you just look over them.
Feel free to ask me any questions on here or via AIM.

Drastic
05-12-2005, 08:47 AM
This is very valuable information to some of us who are confused on the whole lowering the car thing. Could we make this a sticky or something?

seth98esT
05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Its not hard, its been discussed before in better detail. So if you searched, you might find it :idea:

pLUGSNEt
05-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Now i understand.. Because I was so confused about prices for some of these coil overs and im like what is going on.. I didnt understand why some were like 500 bucks and some were like 99 dollars.. I understand some are better quality but it was getting real crazy.. Year ill think ill go with the nice ones that replace shocks and struts.. I rather do it rite then piece together my suspension... Well thanks for the help.. After I figure out if im gonna do my caliper conversion on my car then ill get me my suspension...

pLUGSNEt
05-12-2005, 10:06 AM
i was looking at the group buy section.. and they have alot of selections
Was this the setup that you were recommending...
it was under ground control i believe...
#5525.01 1999+ Galant works w/Stock Shocks - $373 shipped

pinoyesv6
05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
those will work for your galant. if you plan on using stock shocks.

if you plan on using aftermarket shocks, and i highly recommend that you do, you'll need a different part number for the setup.

my ground controls were made for the oem shocks but additional pieces had to be bought when the stock shocks went and upgraded to the konis that i have now.