PDA

View Full Version : Camber kit.... what a disappointment!

obxguy2000
05-13-2005, 09:40 PM
I ordered some lowering springs and a camber kit for my car. I got the springs last week and just got the camber kit today. I have already installed the springs and have got the car aligned. Well I should had read all the threads saying not to order a camber kit until I know for sure I need. Well after the alignment, I found out that I only need it for the back. So, cool, the $150 camber kit I got from sportscompactonly was on the way. I will just use the rear. Mannn, after looking at this and reading the HomeDepot thread, I was pissed. ITS BASICALLY WASHERS(SPACERS) JUST LIKE YOU GUYS SAID. So if you are on a budget like myself, dont make this same mistake! Save yourself some money and get the washers and longer bolts.

Reelax
05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
yup. it pays to read b4 u act; somebody probably made the same mistake someone else is about to and it could have been avoided. well just take it as a lesson and see if you can sell the front kit to somebody that needs it (although 90% of lowered galants never need to correct the front camber).

pinoyesv6
05-13-2005, 10:30 PM
ingalls sells a camber spacer and bolt kit for cheap. tire rack has it for 11 bucks per side.

i know that you can get normal ole bolts from home depot and call it a day for much cheaper.

but what you have to realize is that these camber kits don't use normal home depot bolts and washers. the ones you get with a camber kit are of a higher grade than normal home depot bolts. meaning these bolts are much harder to be stronger and better resist wear.

there are many places you can get the higher grade bolts but the fact is, you don't want them bolts to break on you over the long run. so that is somehting to think about..

underated
05-13-2005, 11:15 PM
The $8 Camber Kit. i insist that you use grade 8 or higher stainless steel bolts and washers for this mine are grade 10 these bolts are metric also so depending on you area you local hardware store most likely wont have the size you need (5 HD's around here didnt) so it would be best to find a place that specializes in metric hardware

http://www.geocities.com/tonykhar/camberkit/image001.jpg

8 40mm 10Mx1.25 bolts, 40 10M washers and 8 10M lock washers.

You will need to replace the rear upper control-arm bolts with the longer bolts.

Using the washers to separate the control-arm from the body like so
http://www.geocities.com/tonykhar/camberkit/image003.jpg

the front stock suspension has parts that you can use to correct front camber the rear does not

theblackpearl
05-14-2005, 02:45 AM
my back tires are slightly bowed outwards, wearing the inside of my tires out way to fast..the front seems to be doing alright..i was lookin for camber kits to correct this problem..but this should fix that right?

HeadAche
05-14-2005, 06:43 AM
underrated, if you did the home depot camber kit, did you have any issues as to using the longer bolts and threading them in? I know when i tried it, the bolts would not thread at all..

obxguy2000
05-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Here is a picture of the kit that I got. The bolts for the rear do not look like hardened steel at all. They look like the low grade metal. Also the spacers are thin like washers and can be easily bent with my hands. There is nothing in this kit that suggest a better quality of anything. I should had used the KY on this one, b/c it hurt!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/519000-519999/519905_19.jpg

underated
05-14-2005, 02:40 PM
underrated, if you did the home depot camber kit, did you have any issues as to using the longer bolts and threading them in? I know when i tried it, the bolts would not thread at all..

you probably have standard bolts or if your sure they are metric they have to be really really really straight to go in what helped me is putting Scotch tape around the washers to make sure they are lined up the tryign to put the bolt in. also the shock has to be removed you probably know that but just incase other people dont. i had to use 45mm bolts and 10 washers between the control arm because of my drop my ground controls are maxed out both front and back there are no issues with the front only the back but with the cheap camber kit everything is cool just make sure to tighten everything good

pLUGSNEt
05-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Well sell it on Ebay... someone will buy it proably for 100 or something...