PDA

View Full Version : Painting my interior trim

devgrp
05-14-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm almost finished painting my interior trim black. I messed up the wood panel around the radio after I tried to sand it. It looks nasty, and the dealer wants $109 for a new one.

I'm using a new paint called Krylon Fusion to do the rest of the trim. With this paint you dont need to sand or prime. Just wipe with a clean cloth then spray.

I'll post pictures when I'm finish. I also painted my grill black. It came out real nice.

BxGalant99
05-14-2005, 09:12 AM
so would the results come out better if u sanded ? or if using that paint it makes no difference if u sand or not ?

TexasMade
05-14-2005, 09:18 AM
your gonna regret using the krylon fusion paint in a few months. take the extra time to sand and prime. trust me. i used that same paint and now mine is flakeing off, scratches really easy, and ever time i clean the car and wipe over the trim peices some of the paint will rub off onto the rag.

your gonna spend double the time your saveing by not sanding and primeing redoing the peices in about 6 months when the look like crap.

also dont try to spray clear coat over the fusion paint. i let mine dry for like 2 days then went back and sprayed clear coat on them and the paint got all mushy and bubbly.

devgrp
05-14-2005, 09:52 AM
I dont know if the results would be better if I sanded or primed, but I'm too lazy to find out.

I wont be spraying any clear coat. I got gloss black so that should be fine

NYmagicstk
05-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I agree about the fusion paint It's shitty. Last year, I did my interior, and I started the project with regular Krylon paint (True Blue), but after I ran out and none of the auto stores, and paint shops had that color, I had to get Krylon Fusion (Patriot Blue) It's a similar color, but the quality sucks, and the funny thing, I even sanded and primed everything. The fusion comes off so easy compared to the regular paint. I might redo my shit this summer, I found out where to buy a shitload of the true blue. I too am lazy, and take it from me... If you don't put in the extra effort on your trim pieces, you'll regret it. You'll be able to see every single imperfection.

TexasMade
05-14-2005, 11:12 AM
I too am lazy, and take it from me... If you don't put in the extra effort on your trim pieces, you'll regret it. You'll be able to see every single imperfection.

yep. i was the same way. thought id save time and go the easy way. definitly regret it now. shitty part is i put the carbon fiber trim kit over all the peices. now the paint looks like shit so when i redo them i'll have to peal off the trim kit peices and buy another set to replace them. another $150 to $200 just because i wanted to be lazy.

devgrp
05-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Well I guess sanding and priming wont make much of a difference then https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif . How many coats did you guys use? A friend of mine was the one who recommended the paint. Hopefully mine will turn out ok.

Now that you guys mention the paint chipping, I'll just use some paint sealer after I finished painting.

TexasMade
05-14-2005, 12:32 PM
not to sure how many coats i did. it was alot though. i think i probably used about 3 to 4 cans total.

datapurge
05-14-2005, 12:55 PM
i dont know what you gentlemen did different than myself, but I used Krylon Fusion on my interior trim, and my grill. It's been months upon months since i did it and its still just as strong and glossy as the day i put it on. Maybe I got lucky. Then again, i also made sure to wash each peice of trim with water and a detergent, thn hit it with lacquer(sp?) thinner to pick up any contamination. My paint turned out perfect.

Censee
05-14-2005, 02:17 PM
i dont know what you gentlemen did different than myself, but I used Krylon Fusion on my interior trim, and my grill. It's been months upon months since i did it and its still just as strong and glossy as the day i put it on. Maybe I got lucky. Then again, i also made sure to wash each peice of trim with water and a detergent, thn hit it with lacquer(sp?) thinner to pick up any contamination. My paint turned out perfect.

it also depends whether u have the fake woodgrain or the silver trim,,,the fake woodgrain has a thin clear on it that u need to take off before u paint or most likely the paint will shrivvle up....i painted mine about 2 years ago and still looks like it did the first day....i used regular car spray duplicolor and tons of clear coat...

mrjaydeeone
05-14-2005, 05:20 PM
wow I have never heard anything bad about the Krylon Fusion up to now
I still haven't painted my stuff yet
I just got the option of getting it professionaly done.
it would run me 175 versus, what like 30 bucks at the most to do it myself
but A) it will be professional and done the right way
and https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif I can get all the trim done to match the trim around my headunit and tvs...silver with a red pearl
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/169000-169999/169999_34_full.jpg

quicksilver22
05-14-2005, 05:31 PM
wow I have never heard anything bad about the Krylon Fusion up to now
I still haven't painted my stuff yet
I just got the option of getting it professionaly done.
it would run me 175 versus, what like 30 bucks at the most to do it myself
but A) it will be professional and done the right way
and https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif I can get all the trim done to match the trim around my headunit and tvs...silver with a red pearl

its going to cost you 175 to get the rest of your trim painted?!

i've redone mine 3 times now, and i'm bound to get it professionally painted, I went from True Blue, to True Navy Blue, to Gloss Black.... i think i'm gonna stick w/ black this time, lol

ipaintu
05-14-2005, 06:04 PM
ship it to me I will do it for that price. I can tell you guys why your paints dont stick tho.

Paints are made to bite into something. paint cant bite into plastics without proper priming and sanding . then you also can look into this stuff called BULLDOG,it comes in a spraycan at your local paint store. That will help too.. You can say im wrong cause your is fine. well congrats you got lucky. I paint everyday and have to zinc bare metals prime,seal,and then paint. If not even autopaint will peel asap.
Im doing my inside once I find a color I want. Also after i get this bodykit issue done. I just got a kit and dont want to cut on it till i know the right parts was sent..
I hate to modify shit tho...Glass work is so itchy...

Im thinking of doing a white pearl with a marbleizer finish.. :wink:

ipaintu
05-14-2005, 06:08 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/169000-169999/169999_34_full.jpg

whats on both sides of your star? Is that 3 in tvs? Now that is something im gonna think about. 2 3 in tvs one for front view and one rear..

SWEET!

I will trade you some paint work for that console to... Or maybe if your shop that did it has a mold you could sell those...Thats sweet looking.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

oh snap now i just noticed also you have same radio as I poineer 8400 right?