PDA

View Full Version : transmission? WTF did I do?

chromey
05-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Today I was driving up a steep hill and decided to shift manually, so the car would actually move up the hill, and now the car seems sluggish. It feels as if its stuck in a gear, the fastest I could without flooring it was 70 and at 3,000rpm. when I let go of the gas, the rpm shoots down faster than it did before. The car is sluggish. Did the tranny get stuck in soccer mom mode? Someone help me out

ChikagoGTZ
05-14-2005, 02:14 PM
What gear were u in on the hill, speed, rpm? Sounds like a problem...

What level is your fuel at in the tank?

chromey
05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I was stopped at a light on the hill, started out from 1, got the tach to 4k, then 2, tach goes up, then 3, tach goes up, then D. i went from 0-like 50 i think, i dont remember

Fuel is at 1/2 tank

Proto
05-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Dont manually shift an auto :!: if you do only use 3rd and regular drive

chromey
05-14-2005, 02:25 PM

yeah I know its bad to do, but sometimes you get tempted to keep up with others, especially going up a hill :cry:

Proto
05-14-2005, 02:26 PM

yeah I know its bad to do, but sometimes you get tempted to keep up with others, especially going up a hill :cry:

I burned out the low gear in my 96 doing that shit

ChikagoGTZ
05-14-2005, 03:17 PM
I've done it plenty in my 00 8g, but it's prolly not the best thing to do.

theblackpearl
05-14-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah i tried that for awhile..it actually does better if you just leave it in 3rd then once your over about 55-65 put it in drive for cruisin..otherwise if you just shift it tryin to be fast youll kill your tranny but hey then you can just put a 5spd in there..so thats sommin to think about! lol

chromey
05-15-2005, 11:28 PM

so what happened?

devgrp
05-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Well most of my driving is done in 3rd. but the manual tells you what speed you should'nt go over when the car is in 3,2 or L.

BigMike
05-16-2005, 08:36 AM
I learned that from experience you never manual shift in an automatic the hard way...ended up gettin a rebuilt tranny....plus chromey, doesn't your G have alot of miles on it???

Proto
05-16-2005, 09:28 AM

so what happened?

When I went to put it in low all I heard was a shitload of loud banging noises.

SkylineG1
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well most of my driving is done in 3rd. but the manual tells you what speed you should'nt go over when the car is in 3,2 or L.</div>

From what I know the car will only do but so much in L,2,3. Mitsubishi recommends that we keep the car in D. I do (sometimes) and it saves on gas too.

shortdogg2k05
05-17-2005, 09:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well most of my driving is done in 3rd. but the manual tells you what speed you should'nt go over when the car is in 3,2 or L.</div>

From what I know the car will only do but so much in L,2,3. Mitsubishi recommends that we keep the car in D. I do (sometimes) and it saves on gas too.</div>

For the I4 it says "L" (28mph) "2" (71mph) "3" (108mph) those are the numbers you should not exceed in that gear. The reason for it is if you are mountain driving. Down sound we dont have mountains, but I do manual shift at times but I not mess with "L". I will work "2" and "3". IMO, The reason auto trannies are bad in the first place and dont last is b/c it slips into gear to make the change smooth.

Agent|THC
05-18-2005, 01:02 AM
shifting on a auto really bad eh? :/

I better stop that shiz https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Just started doing it a few days ago. Actually I remember doing a run and went into a parking lot and decided to drive it on "D" and the car would slow down like I was in "L". Figured I'd stop that https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif