View Full Version : Manual to Automatic

Joaltava
05-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Guys

I have bought a 96 white galant s with a 5 speed tranny that was crashed fom the back https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif , i also have another 96 galant s i am converting to a 5 speed from the white's tranny, now this is where the question comes in, i have a friend that owns a body shop and he told me that it will cost me $450 to fix the car and have the whole car painted.

Now i want the white 5 speed G converted to an automatic so i can use as a everyday car and keep my other G for a project car and for weekends.

Guys tell me what you think.

Anthony

Joaltava
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Also how hard will it be to convert the car from manual to automatic

Blue Ice
05-14-2005, 09:16 PM
hy not just make the 5 speed car the project car, and the automatic the daily driver, i think it would be easier to take the little stuff of the auto and put on the 5 speed and fix the rear of the 5 speed. how bad was it damaged.

Look at all the work you'll have to do; swap trannies, cut the holes for the clutch, run clutch lines, re-wire your brakes, and the clutch, if you don't do it right, you'll probably lose cruise cntrl, there's the whole getting the new 5sp to start, figure out on youre own how to convert the manual to auto cause no one here wants to go that route but you,

or

Have the body shop fix the rear of your crashed G, then put your new suspension, wheels, and all the little cosmetic stuff you have done on the 5 spd.

To me, it sounds like you're creating a hell of a lot more work for yourself the other way.

Proto
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
cruise on a 5 spd is lovely

j686m
05-15-2005, 04:27 PM
i lost cruise on my 7g after the swap, but then i figured out that all i had to do was cut the wire at the cruise unit that goes to the park/nuetral switch

peanotation
05-15-2005, 04:48 PM
i lost cruise on my 7g after the swap, but then i figured out that all i had to do was cut the wire at the cruise unit that goes to the park/nuetral switch

i think it has to do with the pronged switch on the brake pedal assembly.

http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/brakepedals.jpg

when i was automatic, i had cruise. my cruise doesn't work now that i'm a 5spd. i think the 4-prong switch has the 2 extra prongs for cruise. the solution is to get back under there and try crossing any two wires at a time on the 4-pronged plug that runs to the car. you'll have to make sure you don't kill your brake lights though.

Joaltava
05-15-2005, 06:03 PM
thanks for all the info

After sitting down and thinking and looking at both my rides i decided to have that the white G as my project car, i am going to have the body fixed, and make it my project.

Now my second baby the Burgandy G, she will become my everyday ride, i am going to fix her broken auto tranny and put rims and drop the car a lil and use it to go to work and everything else

j686m
05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
yes you have to use the 4prong switch but also when you connect the wires at the park nuetral switch so it will start the cruise unit also thinks the car is in nuetral so it will not enable cruise crontrol

Blue Ice
05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
any way to change the four prong to the 5spd brake pedal.

peanotation
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
any way to change the four prong to the 5spd brake pedal.

yeah, if you look closely, they're held in by nuts. unscrew and remove.