PDA

View Full Version : Center Channel Speaker

Danny215
10-10-2002, 03:13 PM
Sup everyone,

I just got a '99 GTZ and my center channel speaker blew. The dealer wants $103 + installation = $170 ish. Is there something better than the factory speaker i can replace it with?
What size is the center channel speaker? Crutchfeild said it was 2 1/2 inch. But no-one carries that size.If i just eliminate it ( Unplug the wire ) will it make that much of a difference to the overall sound?

Also,
I'm having the same braking problem as other users. My car shakes when i hit the brakes. Can i replace the regular pads with better aftermarket pads without changing the rotor ( Assuming the rotors in good shape )? What should i use that wont brake the bank?
Thanks all!
PEACE!

manybrews
10-10-2002, 06:05 PM
if the car shakes whilst braking, its NOT the pads.. its the rotors.
the pads may allow the rotors to warp prematurely, but they have nothing to do with the actual vibration.
as far as the speaker goes, you can just unplug it.. but you will lose a little dynamic from the system.

speedygalant
10-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Your brakes need this:

Cut the rotors
Replace pads (no matter what, you need to replace your pads)

This happened to me around 30K. As for your center channel, if you are planning to add a multimedia center soon, i suggest you keep it. this will allow you to hear 5.1 surround sound from dvds that you play in your car. otherwise just leave it out and unplug it. just my suggestion.

Tazz2000
10-10-2002, 11:14 PM
I have seen some instructions posted by pinoy a while back on how to get to that speaker. I think Infinity is the only company that makes a speaker that size. You'll probably have to call them. :thumbsup: But it's not hard to replace yourself.

pinoyesv6
10-10-2002, 11:19 PM
you might also want to contact like delray mitsu or don herring for their awesome internet prices and discount. as for the instructions...im still searching

RedGalant2k1
10-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Its easy to remove. You just gently pop off the speaker cover allowing direct access to the center channel. Then using a flathead screwdriver or small pick pry up the speaker. The connections are soldered on, just clip the wires. Then you can remove the factory speaker.

As for what can replace the center channel? Well like was said before a few companies make a 2" or 2.5" speaker. But what i'd suggest doing is creating a plate and installing a 1" Tweeter. You can either solder the connection or use crimp caps either way is good enough.

Danny215
10-14-2002, 11:32 AM
Ok.
I unplugged the speaker. And the dealer's taking care of the brakes.

Questions,
Has anyone replaced the factory infinity speakers ? Will i be able to use the factory amp or will i have to rewire the the entire system? Also if you kept the amp, what type of speakers did you use?

Also:
If i run into the brake problem again, what should i replace the rotors with? I saw someone post that there using BREMBO rotors. What type of pads should i use? I'd like to match it to my car ( RED ).

Thanks again everyone!
PEACE -----------------> :wink:

speedygalant
10-14-2002, 11:34 AM
do a search on the use of your infinity amp with an aftermarket radio. it has been talked about before.

Danny215
10-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Almost forgot. I was thinking of replacing the center channel speaker with an Infinity 3.5" speaker. Do you all think this will be too much? Should i go with a smaller ( 1" ) tweeter?

Later ------------->

osiris612
10-14-2002, 06:12 PM
my mirrors and door handles are turning white (orginally red) does anyone have this problem too? and what did you do to fix it?
e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any suggestions thanks[/url]

escoson
10-16-2002, 04:43 AM
i personaly like the sound of the center channel speaker. i have that in my c240 and it makes a difference to my ears atleast. and as for 2 1/2 inch speakers. this months issue of crutchfield had some but they are rip offs. your better going to a local audio shop and talking to them then going through a online business. thats my 2 cents but do whatever makes you happy no1 should tell you how or what to do to your car. ( unless you ask) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif