PDA

View Full Version : Paint Job...HELP!

SJDGTZ
05-15-2005, 02:56 PM
i am just wondering, by anyone who got their car painted, how much it would run me to get my car a nice metallic blue.

sjd

obxguy2000
05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Well it depends on a couple of things. If you want your door seals to match, that is going to be more. If you are wanting the bottom of your hood to match, that is going to be more. And if you want the engine bay and underneath your trunk the same, that is going to be more. To get a full paint job. My buddy just paid $2000 for a complete color change, but he did not have the engine bay done. But I am sure someone is going to say he got focked. The kind of paint you want and the number of layers plays a big role also. I would say $2000-3500 to answer your question. Get a shop to give you an estimate and let us know.

krispy03
05-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Get a shop to give you an estimate and let us know
x2

ipaintu
05-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Im going to tell you this since i have some paint history. No matter what shop you go to look at work already done. Ask EVERY question that comes to mind. Write the things he says down even. Dont let them push into something you dont want OR arent sure of. Paint jobs range in price. I dont know what quailty job your looking for nor the shape of your car right now. If your car is in good shape No dents larger than your hand,and very FEW of those you should have that much bodywork. If you car looks like you let the kids play trapoline on it. and looks worste than a fat ladies ass then youll see some high pricing on bodywork alone.
Maaco here does good work for the money your gonna pay. I dont know where you are but If you tell me I can call that shop owner and ask him to look out for you. I work with Maaco nationwide. We are all the same. The best thing about Maaco is its NATIONWIDE. If you move 2000 miles away and something happens to your paint Its gonna be covered. SO think of that.
Now paints, ask what type of paint they use. STAY CLEAR of shops that use the following paints. NASON! ANY KIND OF NASON IS JUNK! Sherwin Williams. ALL THAT JUNK TOO> EVEN THE Ultra 7000 system.
Look for shop that use paints such as. BASF,Dupont,PPG,Sikens,Diamount,And Omni. Thats no order of tops to bottoms thats just random.
Like I tell everyone
The Stupidist Question you asked! was the one you didnt....

Good luck to you Pm me if you need more help I will help you all i can since I paint Everyday.... If you got pics to show of your car Show them That would help and I could almost give you a perfect dollar amount.

Oh Nuttin but Base/Clear...

Jet Black
05-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I say go Maaco as well. We have two Galant members on the Westcoast who have had there cars totally painted by Maaco. From a distance of about 12 yards, it looks suberb. But when you get up really close to it, and look at your reflection you can see the huge craters.

ipaintu
05-15-2005, 04:41 PM
but how much did they pay? See these shops are all about You get for what you pay for. If you go in and ask for xtra PREPS where needed they shouldnt have issues. I paint for them alday long and I can show some work from our shop. We dont let nuttin go out wrong. no runs sags or lite sprays. I have fine turned my work time to avoid this. I take my time and still meet my quota and make my bonus hrs. Thats also why I said I could call the local Maaco and tell shop owner what he wants. We speak on a weekly basis. Its the code of maaco!!!! I more than likely know the painter there too. I go to meetings and convientions every 6 months.
We are a tight nit family.!!!!!

obxguy2000
05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
hey Ipaintu, can maaco paint a car any factory color? I have the dover white and want to get it all repainted. Do you think the maaco in the area can handle that?

Jet Black
05-15-2005, 05:38 PM
but how much did they pay? See these shops are all about You get for what you pay for. If you go in and ask for xtra PREPS where needed they shouldnt have issues. I paint for them alday long and I can show some work from our shop. We dont let nuttin go out wrong. no runs sags or lite sprays. I have fine turned my work time to avoid this. I take my time and still meet my quota and make my bonus hrs. Thats also why I said I could call the local Maaco and tell shop owner what he wants. We speak on a weekly basis. Its the code of maaco!!!! I more than likely know the painter there too. I go to meetings and convientions every 6 months.
We are a tight nit family.!!!!!

Well Peano payed something like 650 for the whole car. He did his own prep work though.

And goandeatsomestuff payed around the same I think.

I remeber both of them saying that they need to buff the paint in or something. I mean they really did get what they payed for. It looks great till you start scrutanizing it real close.

Though the only problem is those larger-than-usual craters. Do you what Im reffering to? I think every car has them, though they vary in size. It looks similiar to the stone tools that were used a while back.

Sorta like this, but much more uniform and what not:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/tpau/projects/...gfb/7-Flint.jpg ('http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/tpau/projects/gfb/7-Flint.jpg')

BTW Im going to be needing a paint job soon myself, I'll hit you up sometime. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

ipaintu
05-15-2005, 06:37 PM
but you say they did thier own preps so this is the issues.

If they did own preps and only paid for paints. then Sorry they lost from thier preps.
Myabe your talking about orange peel? If so yeah buffit smooth and you will think they got it repainted. That makes a world of difference.

Ok OBX yes they should be able too. If the shop your going to has BASF instead of Nason your in luck. Make sure they arent still a Nason shop.. Alot of maacos havent converted yet. alot has.
So if they have converted you should be OK your paint code is same as mine btw W69 Which also has 3 others to choose from., "stock,yellowish,yellower.
I macthed mine last week shot my eyelids and sharkfin It matched perfect with Diamount MA136.00U
Thanks guys.

BxGalant99
06-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Im gettin my car painted at maaco also. I spoke to a couple of guys over the phone and tomorrow im going over to get some quotes. ipaintu since u work for maaco could u give a a price outta the top of your head ? Im also installing a back bumper and side skirts. Im going for a metallic blue by the way.

ipaintu
06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Just do this If the shop tells you they use Dupont paints LEAVE the shop. I know I work for Maaco and all But see back in the day When Maaco first started out, they didnt care as much as they do now. They ASKED all shops to convert to either Sherwin Williams Or BASF. Some shops didnt because of the cost of the switch and the higher cost of paints. I have painted Dupont(Nason) Its junk. You can tell the shop in NY I said so also... I will stand behind What I say.

Ball park figures.
Paint I hope your doing base clear. 599.00
Prep 69.00 to 129

Now If your tops need striping thats 35 a panel. so maybe x 3

Xtra Prep.. If your car has alot of cracks chips and scratches youll need this. Figure about 20 a panel on that.

Hope It all works out tho...
Manily look at the finished cars on the lots. If you dont like them what makes you think youll like yours finished?

Oh some little things to think about.

MAACO was founded by the Same guy that MADE AAMCO!

He sold the name and the lot then made MAACO!
His shop is in Philla and one of the largest out I hear. I also know Denver Does the most cars per week @ 80+ units. at a total of 45k... Now thats a good shop... We do about 25 to 35 a week and earn about 18k.. I make a nice Comm. So wtf...

BxGalant99
06-01-2005, 11:25 PM
ill keep u posted on how it goes. the one guy i spoke to in queens said he installs body kits all the time. by the way how much does your shop charge for that ?

ipaintu
06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
38.00 an hr and a 7 hr min. that means we stand there and drink cokes for 7 hrs then start on your car........

If they do install it WILL they warranty thier work? And dont let them talk you into molding it. If you do and drive it daily your gonna hate yourself oneday.. Just member about the "Dupont" They use that word because if they said NASON you would say wtf is that. Dupont Does make that paint BUT you wouldnt get the dupont company to say so.. And If they wasnt so Ashamed of NASON why dont they just say NASON! instead they know people see Jeff Grodan driving the #24 car and say They know If he drives it it has to be the best YAAAYAAA YAAA!

ITS JUNK and you have many shops in your area so choose wisely..

BxGalant99
06-01-2005, 11:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>38.00 an hr and a 7 hr min. that means Â*we stand there and Â*drink cokes for 7 hrs then start on your car........</div>

lol. so i better install it somewhere else.

ipaintu
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
i dont know you asked what WE charged... I dont know what he will tell you. Maybe he is needing work..

Goandeatsomestuff
06-02-2005, 12:10 AM
I didn't go Maaco, I went Earl Scheib. I did no prepwork, paid 583.92 for the whole she-bang (w/ tax), their best paintjob, all the options, no doors since I painted factory gloss black. It's insured against any kind of thing that can go wrong w/ the paint (that's not my fault obviously) for 6 years. I paid extra for them to repair some fiberglass damage on the rear bumper, and I traded them my wing in exchange for them to take it off and fill in the holes.

It looks good from a distance.

Problems:
*Clear coat wasn't applied to surfaces facing downward, not really a big deal on stock but it is on my kit, as there's alot more radical angles towards the ground that you can see that don't have a proper clear
*Part of the clear on one of the sideskirts has begun to oxidize
*On the horizontal surfaces there are some places where the dust lay on the wet paint, so there are little pimples there
*There are about two drip marks, not very noticeable but they're there
*The rear bumper was crap, but in their defense it is fiberglass.
*The worst: The gloss black is anything but. The reflection in the paint is very blurry and uneven, and it's nowhere near as luminescant as any other cars on the road. I don't know what orange peel is, but I'd assume it's causing this, so I hope a good detailing and buff will polish the car right up, as well as some wax as soon as the paint is sufficiently burnt in.
I'd have all this fixed by now under warranty but about 4 days after I got the car back from them some old guy hit me and fucked up my back bumper, so I'm gonna have a good shop touch up the paint and bill the insurance on it.

Was it worth it? I suppose so. In retrospect, I should have saved the money until I graduated from college (I wont be driving until then anyways) and gotten a quality job done then. Until then, my car looks sufficiently good, and it was only around $600, no work on my part, only 2 days in a shop.

low sittin 8g
06-02-2005, 08:50 AM
my paintjob is gunna cost me aorund 2k..

ChikagoGTZ
06-02-2005, 09:08 AM
You get what you pay for, and with Earl Scheib, it's never good. They use to paint cars back in the 70s for $39.95....scary!!

02on19s
06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
My paintjob on my cavalier
www.cardomain.com/id/ydcc91cavi
off of a 2000 Jaguar ran me
$2000 Hinges -under hood and trunk....-

02on19s
06-02-2005, 10:22 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/271000-271999/271937_95_full.jpg

ipaintu
06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
0n19 for what you posted I will now take my camera to work. Your braggin about a 2k paint job. kool looks good
But we sell THAT SAME JOB FOR 899.00 wet sanded and buffed. add 400.00 for jams and your set. So if you went toa custom shop they gave you a fair deal. Unless they used a lower end paint.

But i still see dents on your hood and side of car so where did you have it done?

02on19s
06-02-2005, 03:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>0n19 Â* for Â*what you posted I will now take my camera to work. Your braggin about a 2k paint job. kool Â* looks good Â*
But we sell THAT SAME JOB FOR 899.00 wet sanded and buffed. Â*add 400.00 for jams and your set. So if you went toa custom shop they gave you a fair deal. Unless they used a Â*lower end paint.

But i still see dents on your hood and side of car so Â*where did you have it done?</div>

yea braggin https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif not quite..
But the dents in the hood were after it was painted...and how about under the hood and trunck?

I had a good number of dings along the side that they fixed as well. Yea I see a few still there..
... and I'm sure the Jaguar paint isn't cheap...
The Paint job was done by just some local shop...
If I were to get one NOW..It would definatly be @ a better price...WE got a guy that paints for our Car Club...but no I wasnt braggin man...He asked for some info...so I gave him some...
8)

ipaintu
06-02-2005, 06:49 PM
I left in a hurry today after lunch Wife broke down so i left house so she couldnt have my car.... BWHAHAH! I forgot the camera so I will try to take in AM.. Trunk and hood add 100.00 So still If you got a job done for under 2k and all that I said you got a good deal.

As far as Jag paints.. well Paint is paint. The value of a car doesnt mean the paints more. Its all the same...just cause you got a jag color doesnt mean your paying more. As far as the SAME paint thats on a Jag from Over there, well I doubt a local shop sent for paint across water to paint your car. but who knows what they told you..

I paint cars alot with 2005 colors off ALL makes of cars. I like when I get some piece of shit car to go on... Most colors now are translucants so If i have to change them from a base clear to a lower paint such as an Urathane,or Acrylic I laff cause it mainly means NO COVERAGE!
I painted one yesterday that I had to base in a close color then add the picked color..

bluediamonds
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I had mine originally done by maaco, I was impressed by the job that they did, there's a few flaws if you get close up and you look over the whole car but, all in all they do a good job. But ask questions and look at past paint jobs. or if you have the balls, do it your self, I just did and I think that if you do it yourself, weather it looks good or alright, you can say i did it and I like it.

JJSki78
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey Ipaint.. I want to get my silver 01 repainted. But what I want done is the stock color with a blue pearlcoat or tinted clearcoat. Would Maaco do that, or am I stuck going to a custom shop?

jhunter
06-15-2005, 11:32 AM
damn!!! $3000 for a paint job! lol I might as well but a good down payment on a new car! :-D NO but for my paint job and everything fixed on my car it was a total of about 2,400. Repaired my car then did the paint job. Painted EVERYTHING! Engine bay, trunk, door seals, everything. and for the paint job I only payed $500. I don't know what paint he used he said he gets it from Napa, but I just no its a really good paint and holds up real well, even when he finished the painting, if he saw a dent anywhere, he sanded it down where the dent was and repainted it. He's alright on body work, and knows what hes doing, but I think hes an even better painter.