PDA

View Full Version : R&T Test drives the 4g...

seth98esT
05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
I know people have beat this thing to death as far as how it looks compared to the previous generations. We've all heard the gripes (I've griped too) about the lack of a turbocharged engine, and the lack of AWD for that matter as well. But I've reserved judgement until an automotive journalist finally put pedal to metal. The newest issue of Road & Track road tested a 4G and here are their numbers:

Cliff notes:

0-60: 5.8 sec
1/4 mi: 14.4@101
Skidpad: .83g
Slalom: 64.1 mph
What they liked:

Large V6 gives plenty of down low torque, MIVEC gives plent of up high power.
Much improved styling over the 3G, though not as attractive as the 2G
Rather decent handling.
Comfortable as hell.
Priced rather attractively.

What they disliked:

Heavy as hell (3750 lbs)
Poor weight distribution (69/31 front/rear)
Ugly front end (reminiscent of a Pontiac Sunfire)
Crappy tires
Soft suspension & excessive body roll

Here's some quotes from their article:

Discussing the MIVEC V6 - "It works. MIVEC plus the increased capacity give this 3.8 power to spare at all times, with extra kick at higher rpm. The 3.0 defined the term 'buttery smooth.' The new one should be classified as 'buttery smooth, but with some serious rip.'"

"For sure, the new Eclipse is one of the most comfortable sports couples on the market, delivering a remarkably smooth ride, a quiet cockpit and superb front seats."

This sums it up nicely:

"Okay, so the new Eclipse isn't the sports car we hoped it would be. But despite a few shortcomings, it's definitely better than the car it replaces and a step in the right direction."

Overall, it doesn't seem like a bad car, but it can't get any worse than a 3G, and there's nowhere to go but up after that abomination. Compared to it's competition (the Mustang and 350Z among others), it does seem a tad slower off the line, but then again, the car is severely hampered by the lack of a limited slip diff, forcing the test drivers to launch at 2000 rpm. Aftermarket supension pieces would definitely come in handy as stiffer springs, anti-roll bars, better tires, and a limited slip diff would definitely be my list of first mods. While it's not the terror of the streets like the first and second gen DSM's of long ago, I think it's just what Mitsu needs to get them on the right track.

quicksilver22
05-16-2005, 03:15 PM
hmmm...

i'm still not too fond of it..

especially w/ that weight distribution!

seth98esT
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Yah thats the only thing that makes me not want one. The suspension and tires can be fixed easliy with aftermarket parts. But you cant do much with that weight distribution. Almost 70/30 in a 3700lb car is pretty bad. Its that stupid 3.8L v6. If they would have went with a turbo charged i4, the whole distribution would be much better.

VegasMatt
05-16-2005, 03:46 PM
What is the list on one of these things?

seth98esT
05-16-2005, 04:01 PM
More then you can afford buddy....Ecliiipppsseee *vrooom vroooOOOm*

MSRP has said to been in the $24,000 - $35,000 range.

DOHCstunr
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
most non high performance sport cars aren't a street fighter from the factory. But, as we've found with a little customization, they become a force to be reconned with.
take the US 7th gen. nothing but practicality comes to mind when i think of a stock one. but this site is testemony that it can be done. i love my car and i'm sure that no one would doubt that its quick, handles damn well and is an overall pleasure to drive.

oh freakin well if the new eclipse isn't turbocharged. there are many other ways to make power than with a hair dryer.
if you want that kind of power get a base model lancer evo.

its a sport coupe not a super coupe. made for driving and touring i'm sure. so beef up the suspension a little, put an intake and exhaust on it, short shifter, and an aftermarket bumper if you so please.

I think its a solid platform to start with. and i bet its not too hard to swap in an evo head the 4 banger platform.
a supercharger and front mount aftercooler on the beefy v6 would easily push the power up to 300 wheel hp. and then, what would you really have left to bitch about.

i give it a thumbs up. seriously, why would mitsu try to make a car in their linup to compete with the evo, i t would end up costing the same, and there is no way a stock eclipse could ever out handle the evo. So, they make a performance full size coupe.
i like it.
throw the battery in the trunk, carbon fiber hood, and get some coilovers and corner weight the damn thing if you want better weight distribution

Donovan
05-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey 14.4 not bad..
the thought of 27k for it..bad

peanotation
05-29-2005, 04:32 PM
is it me or does that 14.4 seem really slow for a 5.8 second car

Donovan
05-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Does seem slightly off

G-spot
05-29-2005, 06:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The 3.0L defined the term 'buttery smooth.</div>

Really? I beg to differ... :?

Joaltava
05-30-2005, 12:41 PM
According to this in Road and Track

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...3&page_number=3 ('http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=2213&page_number=3')

Curb Weight
Eclipse 3570 lbs
Mustang 3510 lbs
350Z 3370 lbs
Rx-8 3029 lbs edmunds.com

The Mustang is lighter than the eclipse by 60 lbs and the 350z by 200 lbs
at edmunds.com the info i gather was the following

Gross Weight
Eclipse 3700 lbs
Mustang ???
350z 3840 lbs
Rx-8 3810

In 0-60
The Mustang beats the Eclipse by .5 seconds
350z beats the eclipse by .2 seconds
Eclipse beats the Rx-8 by 1.28 seconds

Mustang 5.3
350z 5.6
RX-8 7.08 Edmunds.com
Eclipse 5.8

Horsepower and Torque numbers

Mustang GT
4.6L V-8 300hp 320 ft-torque
350Z
3.5L V-6 287hp 274 ft-torque
RX-8
1.3L Rotary 238hp 159 ft-torque
Eclipse GT
3.8L V-6 263hp 260 ft-torque

The price's are the following

Mustang GT V-8 $24,370
350Z $36,100
Eclipse GT $23,000 est.
Rx-8 $26,875 edmunds.com

I dont know about yall but the price of the eclipse is less than the following

Mustang $1,370
350z $13,000
Rx-8 $3,875

With that amount of money there are a shit load of aftermarket parts that will come available in the future and i can buy for the eclipse that will make it faster than these cars.

In my opinion i think the Eclipse if the best overall car here
yes it does weight alot 3700 lbs but the other cars are not that far behing so if i am planning on buying a new 2 door coupe under 36k than i think the eclipse is the best option

Donovan
05-30-2005, 03:40 PM
I like those stats and I agree that the eclipse was the bettter one out of the group...according to the edmunds stats.

Joaltava
05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
yes the eclipse is by far the best pick in my opinion

Donovan
05-30-2005, 08:25 PM
as everything can be turboed.. I wonder who will the first to do it..and what about a supercharged 3.8mivec eclipse https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif *drools*

Something to think about https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif definetly take a while tho.

4-G-rim
05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Its a smart marketing move on Mitsus part. The car is the #1 bang for the buck in its catagory its competing with. Yes..it would be nice to have a nice turbo available AWD Eclipse again, but it would loose is "value" if it nears the EVO's price bracket and basically make it compete price wise on 2 Mitsu models....one of the 2 will fail in sales which Mitsu can't afford these days. Mitsu priced it just right for those buyers that are just shy affording a EVO or on the fence on buying a Mitsu product in general....and the $24,000 price range has PLENTIFUL potential buyers. I have seen the car in person but have yet to drive it. Mitsubishi has stepped up big time in built quality...just by looking at the car materials and workmanship has definitely stepped up. Mitsubishi is finally doing something right again and its about time....it only took them to realize it now while they are financially in debt.

Donovan
05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
When you think about it also , damn..3.8 ltr , thats huge for that lil car.

BlankMan
05-30-2005, 10:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>According to this in Road and Track...</div>

Good job, joaltava - those are some good facts for a concrete comparison. Puts the numbers for the 4g in perspective very well - especially the wieght and 0-60 times. You guys need to face it, you are NOT going to notice a .5 sec difference in 0-60 or even a 200lb difference in wieght.

J

Censee
05-31-2005, 02:44 PM
i saw the car in person today,, i must say it does look nicer in person,,,than in pics....i wouldnt mind driving it,,,

Joaltava
05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks BlankMan

also 4-G-rim you are correct, the eclipse is the best pick for the price

I personaly like Mitsubishi they have the potential to be the best Japanesse company if they get their shit together.

Donovan
05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
There you go censee , go ahead and buy it Mr.Big money