PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brakes and rotors difficulty?

pLUGSNEt
05-18-2005, 02:55 PM
:?: I am thinking of replacing my own rotors and brake pads.. how hard is this? I mean if its pretty much obvious on what goes where this may be my cup of tea.. im not affraid to try it.. I just want to get peoples info first on how hard this is.... Ive take off my wheels before and everything if maybe someone could show me step by step on how to remove the rotor... that would be very helpful.. :roll:
Maybe if i get a good enough respones this could be made a sticky...

ChikagoGTZ
05-18-2005, 02:57 PM
On a scale from 1 to 10 this is a 3, some of the bolts are hard to loosen, and the rear rotor may be hard to get off if you have rear disc brakes, but other than that it's easy.

icEbErg629
05-18-2005, 03:09 PM
http://img278.echo.cx/img278/6214/iconminisearch7dg.gif

n3oAcid24
05-18-2005, 03:10 PM
im going to replace my stock rotors n pads too next weekend. hope its not hard which i doubt but u never know. jurt read some of the tutorials n and if that dont help, buy 1 of those books that tell u everything about the car. hope it comes out good for u.

SinSere
05-18-2005, 03:37 PM
the rotors are quite easy except the rusted bolts and so on. Swapping out the brake pads is more difficult in my opinion, but not much. A 3 would be a good rating on the scale. Like you said, just read up on what bolts need to be removed and you'll be good.

DryBear
05-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Go pick up the Haynes Manual or better yet, go find a copy of the 8G service manual floating around here somewhere. Both have pretty good instructions on servicing your brakes among other things.

pinoyesv6
05-18-2005, 07:07 PM
here's a tutorial someone wrote a while back that im hosting on my site

http://www.mynameistitobhoy.com/Tutorials/...stall/index.htm ('http://www.mynameistitobhoy.com/Tutorials/8GBrakeInstall/index.htm')

but yea i've done it myself too. its pretty easy. just make sure that the car is properly supported on jackstands. the last thing you want is the car to slip off the jack while you're trying to loosen some of those bolts.

bjarvis
05-18-2005, 08:33 PM
It's very easy, but its also very important that you do it correctly.
Get a service manual or a haynes/chilten manual and follow the
procedure verbatim. In addition to using proper jackstands, also
make sure you use a torque wrench and tighten everything the
appropriate amount. Make sure you have some good six point metric
sockets so you don't strip the bolts.

I did it myself using the Haynes manual and didn't have any trouble.

pLUGSNEt
05-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all your help.. that tutorial is real nice.. I believe i will try it this weekend if my rotors get in on time..... proably will recieve my pads today...

pLUGSNEt
05-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the tutorial... i did my rotors today.. it was nothing.. man that was super easy LOL.. the drums on the other hand took some work LOL I didnt even need to replace teh drums brake pads they had the same amount of pad left just like the brand new ones so i just sprayed brake cleaner all in the drums and closed them up... I pained my rotors and drums again... made them different color and it looks fresh.. thanks for the help... now i never have to pay for brake work ever again :-)....

n3oAcid24
05-31-2005, 09:44 AM
hey man i replced mine last weekend too. it was easy. the only problem was the bolts.mechanics make it seem like they are in a "Strongman" competition. pther then that it was easy. i need to do the drums but i dont know how to. ill look for a tutorial.

brandon
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Breaker bars come in VERY handy for those tough to break bolts.