PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Starting problem

vectorz
05-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I have a 99 DE (i4) and recently, sometimes when I go to start the car, it'll just cut off on me. I don't believe it to be an idling problem because it *WILL* start and run for about 3 seconds, and just cut off.. I can't keep rev'ing it. I've tried cleaning the throttlebody.

The CEL comes on, and I did an ODBII scan on it, something about 'camshaft sensor'. I did a search, and checked the connectors as well as clean the TB. *SIGH*.. I also replaced the spark plugs & spark plugs wires & pcv valve to see if that would help but to no avail.

Most of the time, if I wait 15 minutes and try again, no issues. Previously, when the problem only occurred once in a long while, if I rev'd the engine up to redline, something felt like it kicked in and would cure the problem. But now that it's happening multiple times a day, I can no longer rev the engine w/ out it cutting out.

I'm poor right now,so trying to avoid taking it to the dealer and getting ripped off. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

pinoyesv6
05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
what code is it exactly??

vectorz
05-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Ack, I didn't write down the exact code. I'll have to go back to Autozone to borrow the ODB2 scanner again.

However, it happened again today.. and reading through one of the threads I followed the recommendation of when the car wouldn't start, I'd turn the key to the on position w/ out cranking the engine. I'd turn back to off and repeat a couple times and THEn crank the engine, it came right on.

Sounds like possibly a fuel problem. Anyone know how I go about diagnosing this?

low sittin 8g
05-25-2005, 11:19 PM
i think i may have had the same problem..

when you start your car.. do your rpms drop rite after about 5 seconds.. or does it just cut off.. my car used to just cut off.. i had to adjust the idle.. its two 10mm bolts.. i had to loosen them.. then tighten up the cable.. your idle should be around 800 and 900 rpms steadily

vectorz
06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Ok, I was able to pull the code today... here is the info:

"P0340 camshaft position sensor A - bank 1 circuit malfunction"

Can someone look this up and tell me how to fix my problem?

TIA!

seth98esT
06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Well check the wiring on teh Camshaft sensor. Make sure its not cut or shorting out or something. If the wiring is fine, you most likely have a bad sensor...

vectorz
06-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Will do. Does anyone have a pic of where this camshaft position sensor is located?

manybrews
06-09-2005, 06:49 AM
if you have a cam sensor code, you probably need a new cam sensor.
its located at the end of the cylinder head closest to the drivers side.
its a small, black sensor, held in place with one bolt. You should be able to see it running right next to the intake airbox tube.