View Full Version : check oil light is on??

snowman
05-23-2005, 12:24 AM
I recently got the car's oil change after that the Check oil light has been on. The lights turns on when the RPM is under 1000... After 1000 the Check oil light turns off. Since then ive been checking the oil and for leaks, but the engine oil is fine and there arent any leaks... what is problem..? Help!!

bjarvis
05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
I would change the oil again and see if it goes away. If the oil is contaminated or too light, it can cause oil pressure problems. Who knows what the lube guys might have poured in there by accident...

If the problem persists, its probably the oil pressure switch. You can determine if this is the case by using an external oil pressure gauge to measure the oil pressure. If its in bounds and the light is on, then the switch is bad. Replacing the switch is fairly cheap and easy.

It's very unlikely you actually have an oil pressure problem. Oil pumps rarely go bad, and if you had a seal leak large enough to cause loss of oil pressure you'd be able to see the leakage.

snowman
05-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks a lot.. I am going to get the oil change in few days lets see if the light goes away... You helped a lot!! thankss...

sykgalant00
05-26-2005, 03:04 AM
i had the sane problem and my problem was jiffy lube gave to light of oil since i have over 75.000 on it i needed a heaveier oil and havent had the prob since

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
05-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Dam I never new 8gs had a check oil light :?