PDA

View Full Version : 8000k HID Kit Acting Strange

styles430
05-24-2005, 09:12 AM
I have a 8000k Sniper HID Kit in my 01 GTZ. It's been acting strange the past few days.

The drivers side works great. The passenger side works sometimes. It stopped working for about 2 days, so I started to take it out to revert back to stock, thinking it may be bad. I take the light out of the housing, try the lights again for the hell of it, and it works. I put it back in the housing, turn lights on/off 5-6 different times to test it, works everytime. 2 hours later, I come outside (it's night time now), try it, doesn't work. I take it back out the housing, it lights up. While it's lit, I put it back in the housing. Continued to work. Not sure if it works today, didn't try it on the way to work. What could be causing this? :puzzled1:

galantv600
05-24-2005, 09:18 AM
my buddy has 10000k hid on his rx7 and SOMETIMES they dont work... my dads 5000k sometimes doesnt work either, and it its all weird. you turn em off and they both work so who konws.. must be something that gas doesnt click..?

brandenblazeRR
05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
or it could be a short in the wiring ,

pLUGSNEt
05-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Ok a little info ive learned on aftermarked hid kits that usually are not name brand ie. phillips or hella.. is that they sometimes go bad.. they igniters and the ballast have very cheap circuits and usually after a while die.... Alot of the cheaper hid companies skip alot of test to ensure a long lifespan so they can for one sell it at a cheap price... I honestly recommend.. saving up and retro fitting your head lights with projectors if you really want a nice hid look.. I personally am working on my retro fit now.. ill be done before the end of july.. I purchased 05 TSX projectors and got guinuwine Hella Ballast to go with my setup... very clean look.. with in 2 weeks or so ill try to get some pics of how clear and sharp my visual will be with the new upgrade.... Again this is not a very cheap route.. the project is getting close to 1000 dollars to finish but it will be worth it in the long run.. Im also doing suspension mods at the same time so its slowing me down.. my shocks are bad and trying to replace them and finish my product...

if you want more info on hid's and which kits will be best... you can always check out hidplanet.com they have loads of information and tons of HID GURU's with mad knowledge and pics about all....

Honestly if you ask them what hid kit will be best for our h4 setup they will say none and tell you to retro but you can get your bulbs re based as h4 housing so they could fit in your h4 headlight but use a very good ballast... but that still wont help with the crappy glare that you will recieve from our halogen reflectors....

I hope this helps ya out peez...

styles430
05-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Cool man. I do not believe I have the time and patience to retrofit myself. I could see myself losing my temper and breaking everything I worked on, or it just not working at all. So retrofitting is basically out of the question.

But, who does make the best plug-and-play HID kits, and where can I get one?

Jet Black
05-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Cool man. I do not believe I have the time and patience to retrofit myself. I could see myself losing my temper and breaking everything I worked on, or it just not working at all. So retrofitting is basically out of the question.

But, who does make the best plug-and-play HID kits, and where can I get one?

Ya good choice. If I had to redo my retrofit...simply put I wouldn't have. Never again in a million years. $600 and 1 month in the making is NOT fun.

Censee
05-24-2005, 06:01 PM
try bumping up your fuses to some 30 foir your headlights,,,,u shouldve replaced all 4 of them anyways...maybe that works,,,,try making sure if the plugs are on the ballast and bulb tight,,sometimes they can loosen..

styles430
05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
try bumping up your fuses to some 30 foir your headlights,,,,u shouldve replaced all 4 of them anyways...maybe that works,,,,try making sure if the plugs are on the ballast and bulb tight,,sometimes they can loosen..

I have 35s (I believe) in both low beams. The kit has no hi-beam so I dont think I changed those.

str8304
05-25-2005, 06:35 PM

I have 35s (I believe) in both low beams. The kit has no hi-beam so I dont think I changed those.

I had the same problem and it pissed me off so bad that I just got some silver stars and tried to throw away my kit, but a friend of mine took it and put it on his G.

ASTIG
05-27-2005, 12:22 AM
once you do a retrofit once you can do it much better and faster the next time around. My galant retrofit a couple of years ago took about a week. When I did my montero, it only took 2 whole days for everything including custom wiring harness and halos.

I bet I can do a galant retro in about 2 days. Problem is I dont have the $$$ now. :evil: