PDA

View Full Version : Cat Back 2.5" Exhaust question

RoOkS
05-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Hello everyone,

Well the only non stock mod i've done so far on my Galant are K&N POD airfilters. The aussie HJ galants are V6 2.0ltr . I probably wont put a turbo on since it'll involve too much $$$ and my galant is an aging car (1993).
My question is...if i'm going non turbo, is it worth while changing my stock 2" cat back setup with a 2.5" performance cat back setup ?

below are some of the mufflers they have on offer:
http://www.mettamsmufflers.com.au/other%20...%20Mufflers.htm ('http://www.mettamsmufflers.com.au/other%20pages/THE%20TRADE/performance%20Mufflers.htm')
Mettams is charging $350 AUD ($266 USD) fitted for the cat back.
Choicewise at the moment....i would go for '3 way turbo' muffler to avoid the ricey sounds : P

Heard some good things abt Magnaflow mufflers too.

Is performance gain going to be too un-noticable for my Galant?

I guess the next step would be Extractors. still to get a quote on these suckers.

thanks for your opinions folks.

:wink:

brandon
05-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Mitsus are known for having very restrictive exhaust, at least here in the US, so opening it up to 2.5" should free up some horsepower.

I'd recommend Magnaflow.. they have a growling low tone to em.

pinoyesv6
05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
if you are thinking about getting extractors, i suggest you get them first before the exhaust. that way you can see how your setup sounds like before you do your cat back. then you can worry about piping sizes and muffler choices since sound is an issue.

RoOkS
05-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Wow...extractors firstly then exhaust ? never thought of that before.
Our engines would be similar to non mivec-ed FTOs i imagine.
perhaps extractors from these FTOs then.

went around another place and they offer to dyno test the car before and after the cat back install. hah!

tailpipes (which is xtra to the cat back quote) are going to be the death of my budget...they range from $100-400 AUD !!