PDA

View Full Version : Weird Noise Under Hood

Bigg Boi
10-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Hey, I was trying to install some more stereo stuff in my car yesterday. I turned the key into the counter-clockwise position (accessories), a little while afterwards, there was a clicking under the hood that sounded a lot like when you touch two wires together and they make that spark. I looked under the hood and I couldn't see anything wrong. Do any of you have this problem? Is this something I should pay major attention to?

Thanks in advance.

TJC
10-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Those are relays switching on and off b/c the car isn't cranked over yet they get crazy. I wouldn't worry about it. It's been brought up before and if you listen for it, everyone will hear it once in a while. It's sounds like tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick really fast. Sometimes different speeds too.

BGR
10-11-2002, 07:27 PM
I hear that all the time from mine. I have no idea what that noise is. Most times I've heard it without my key in the ignition when I had the hood popped as I was working under there. It's annoying to say the least.

Bigg Boi
10-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it's just those tick,tick,tick,ticks going on and off while I'm listening to my stereo with the car off. I was thinking that mabey the power cord from my stereo system had lost some of the outside surrounding and was being rubbed up against a metal part of the car. Glad to hear it normal. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Dave4013
10-12-2002, 03:04 PM
I've heard that too. It was a fast ticking or flipping noise. I've heard it while the car was off, no key in ignition. I assumed it was relays clicking, but I don't know why they would be doing that.

Auto-9
10-12-2002, 06:26 PM
My tick tick is from the belts while the engine is running https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

glinx1
10-18-2002, 06:58 PM
I had that ticking when I was installing my halo gauges. It freaked me out but I found out what the problem was. I had left the dimmer switch unplugged. Funny thing was that my car was doing all kind of crazy things. From doors locking on their own to car alarm going off. Later I hooked it back up and everything was fine. But now if I use the dimmer switch (which is not needed for the halo gauges) it locks my doors when I turn them all the way down. I'm not sure what the problem is with your ride but check if you left something unplugged or maybe some wires are touching. But once I hooked up the dimmer switch back, the ticking was all gone.

TJC
10-20-2002, 12:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glinx1)</div><div class='quotemain'>I had that ticking when I was installing my halo gauges. It freaked me out but I found out what the problem was. I had left the dimmer switch unplugged. Funny thing was that my car was doing all kind of crazy things. From doors locking on their own to car alarm going off. Later I hooked it back up and everything was fine. But now if I use the dimmer switch (which is not needed for the halo gauges) it locks my doors when I turn them all the way down. I'm not sure what the problem is with your ride but check if you left something unplugged or maybe some wires are touching. But once I hooked up the dimmer switch back, the ticking was all gone.</div>

Uh no. Your car is just possessed! :pukey: