PDA

View Full Version : custom car audio installation

Rts54321
06-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I have a question here. My car has the single DIN head unit, and I want to put in a touchscreen monitor. I idealy want to put it in flush like how a factory monitor would be in-dash.... but is that possible? there is an open gap i put my garage door opener and wallet in when i drive, that could be used as space for my vent controls and the top two DIN spots could be used for the monitor...... do places custom fit those into dashes? Anyone heard any info on this? I want to put navigation, tv, dvd and cd in it.... but i wanted to stay away from a flip out motorized screen bc it will block my vents... Anyone with any info on this let me know... the monitor i was planning on purchasing was the eclipse AVX somethin like that... its about 5-6 inches and has buttons all along the side.. its satellite ready and everything.... anyone with any information on this topic please let me know, ive tried searching the internet and im having trouble with specific finds. thanks !

qnz
06-07-2005, 03:06 AM
u can move your hvac controls up or down to make room for a double DIN unit. the thing is you would have to cut one of those horizontal bars to put it in, and that's a few milimeters wide. which would make the 2 single DIN spots too big by a few milimeters too so the double DIN unit cant fill up the gap. you would need to do some custom fiberglassing to make it look stock. also, a double din unit is heavy so you need something to support it. dont want your $1600 unit falling into bottom of your car when u hit hard bump rite? in u from the ny/nj area, you can PM dave@SE. his shop does these types of installs as well as sell eclipse units.

you could also just put the flipout monitor in the bottom din and it wont block your vents. just your vent controls. but how many times do u adjust it anyway. maybe once when u start up the car.

Rts54321
06-07-2005, 05:49 PM
thanks for all that info... i was unsure that you could move ur vent controls.... i guess i could go with moving it down some so it doesnt block the vents, but i also have the shifter on the floor, so it might hit there.. i want to try and go with the stock monitor look, but i dont know of any place around here that does this stuff.. im in freakin ohio... the one place says they do, but i dont want no wack job. if anyone knows of any place or any more info let me know... thanks!

SinSere
06-07-2005, 06:07 PM
I have a flip out Alpine deck mounted in the stock location and really like it. I like how high it sits up unlike some of my friends cars where its mounted in like our middle or lower section and flips out. If your main worry is that it blocks the vents, then I wouldn't go through all the trouble. It will stick far enough out that it will not impede the air flow, plus the vents can be directed side to side so they're not blowing directly on the deck, they'll be pointed at the passenger and driver on each side. But if you are interested in more of a custom install then you're talking some serious flow. You would have to move your a/c controls to the bottom and have your center console piece fabricated to flush mount a screen into it. If you look at Censee's interior pics you'll see what he did. Came out looking awesome. But that took a lot of man hours to come out right. Depends what you're truly looking to get out of the whole install.