PDA

View Full Version : Car will not start! 1998 Galant

Tony
06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I got home today and parked my car. 5 minutes later, I went back out to the car and it would not start. I mean when I turn the key, the starter does not turn. No cranking. The dash lights all come on as normal and when I turn the key, the lights dim as if there is a current drain. After a about 10 attempts, it starts like a champ. While I am running a few errands, I cut the car off and it started with no problem a few times. But when I get home again and cut it off, it does not start again. It has not started since. Has my starter failed? Any speculations or does anybody KNOW what the problem is? I appreciate any suggestions.

ArtyG
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
This is just a hunch, but make sure the cables are fitted securely on the battery, and also check to make sure there is no corrosion on the actual battery cable. Good luck bro, I know it sucks to have your G go crazy on you.

pinoyesv6
06-09-2005, 10:22 PM
how old is the battery? could be that also.

Tony
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, I check the battery cables, they were tight. There was however some corroision on the positive battery terminal. I cleaned it with a water/baking soda solution. No Luck. The battery is about 3 years old. I read some other post pertaining to starters it seems that I am having similar symptons. When I turn the key, I hear one distinct click as if something was turning on.

pinoyesv6
06-09-2005, 10:32 PM
take hte battery to the auto parts store and get it replaced or at least reconditioned.

Tony
06-10-2005, 03:48 PM
The car actually started this morning so I went and got the battery replaced. Once I got back home, the car would not start once again. Hopefully it will start this evening so I can drive it to the mechanic's shop instead of having it towed. I have been told by a few people that it sounds like the starter.

SinSere
06-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I fried my Optima months back and it kind of sounds like thats the issue your'e having, a bad battery. Although yours is a little different because you said after trying several times it would work which is not like me. My battery was so dead that the starter wouldn't even make an attempt to turn over. And like you, the dash lights would come on and dim when I tried to start it. I also thought I had a draw, and after testing that out for many hours, I found nothing. I finally took the thing out which in my case is not an easy task and took it to Standard Battery where they load tested it and found it was completely shot. You might be ok with just replacing your battery, but that doesn't sound like the case. I didn't think it was my starter or anything just because my car is hardly used. If you've had more wear and tear than me, then it is completely possible its the starter.

dave1
06-10-2005, 05:30 PM
next time the car dosnt start go under and just tap on the starter. it prolly will start up i had this problem when i had my 98' prolly be the starter

Tony
06-10-2005, 07:58 PM
I took it to a mechanic who has done work on it before. It started right up this evening and when I tried to show him what it was doing, the car kept starting like it should. He is going to check it out. Wasted money on a battery. Will let you know what the outcome is.

DOHCstunr
06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony)</div><div class='quotemain'>I took it to a mechanic who has done work on it before. Â*It started right up this evening and when I tried to show him what it was doing, the car kept starting like it should. Â*He is going to check it out. Â*Wasted money on a battery. Â*Will let you know what the outcome is.</div>
the battery probably wasn't a waste.
i'm sure your battery was going bad for a long time, and its possible you weren't getting enough amps to your starter, causeing it to prematurely wear.
regardless. three years on a battery is pretty good. and its safe to say if you didn't get it now, you'd be getting one soon. no worries

Tony
06-11-2005, 05:15 PM
After talking with my mechanic today, he seems to think it is the ignition switch. After doing a search on this site for Ignition switch, it seems that replacing the ignition switch has fixed cars with similar if not exact symptons as my car. He said that he could not get it to NOT start. He thought the starter was good. I will let you know the outcome.

bronxbombr
06-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Dude sometimes its neither the battery or starter but the damn power DL controller. When they go bad they drain the battery dead sometimes. It may start and it may not sometimes, Thats why it be so hard narrowing the problem down becuz its so inconspicious.

Tony
06-12-2005, 10:16 PM
My mechanic told me that I had two problems. He replaced the ignition switch, starter and the ignition lock cylinder. The problems were the cylinder and starter. total cost for labor and parts: $235. Now when I turn my key to start, it immediately starts. No hesitation what so ever. Maybe this will help someone else. Thanks for the suggestions! My mechanic specializes in Japanese cars so anybody in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex, I can give you his number.