PDA

View Full Version : Question about USD Galant and World Galant?

Galant_01
10-12-2002, 02:27 PM
OK I was checking into some Euro and Asian Mitsu Sites and noticed that they did not change the front end like the USD Galant did. Why is this? Why would they change the US version and not the World version? Does anyone know. I was just ponding this??

HUM...

Reelax
10-12-2002, 02:58 PM
change? u mean when they brought the 8G galant over to the US? the 8G galant first appeared in asia and europe in 1996.

as for why it looks different from the JDM / world versions... bigger engine, stricter safety regulations, and american executive ego and economics. north american marketing believes that they have their hands on americas pulse and decided that we would find the US version more appealing (idiots). this is why we have less features, ugly tail lights (compared to JDM) longer front bumpers, cheaper single beam headlights etc.

Supernova
10-12-2002, 03:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>change? Â*u mean when they brought the 8G galant over to the US? Â*the 8G galant first appeared in asia and europe in 1996.

as for why it looks different from the JDM / world versions... Â*bigger engine, stricter safety regulations, and american executive ego and economics. Â*north american marketing believes that they have their hands on americas pulse and decided that we would find the US version more appealing (idiots). Â*this is why we have less features, ugly tail lights (compared to JDM) longer front bumpers, cheaper single beam headlights etc.</div>

And I hate it. Stupid big name excutivies making all these stupid changes and regulations.... bah.

GalantT3
10-12-2002, 03:41 PM
I agree with both of you, it pisses me off that in other countries Mitsubishi is on acura/lexus level in terms of quality, peformance, and feature content, you come here and its like Mitsubishis cars are ECONOMY BOXES compared to its other counter parts. The morons at Mitsubishi motors of Amercia need to be fired!

And now the Galant is going to be totally designed in Amercia, saying that the car will be made with the needs and tastes of americans in mind. You know that means one big ugly piece of shit!!!!!

:roll: Pictures dont lie!

Auto-9
10-12-2002, 06:23 PM
It's not what the United States has in mind obviously https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif Otherwise everyone would be happy with the new changes coming...

stephen7983
10-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Personally, I think that the North American auto industry cannot be matched against other auto industries around the world in many different aspects. It's true that we do get Mitsubishi cars that are not comparable to the ones in Asia or Europe. I mean we're a great country and all, but I think that our auto industry reeks. But this is attributed by many different factors. Such things as strict regulations, environmental issues and so on and so forth. However, I still don't understand how our auto industry can import a high performance car like the Lancer Evo. from Japan and simply downgraded because of strict regulations and all. One of these being environmental issues. Americans can't afford to bring a J-spec Lancer evo. because supposedly it doesn't meet the requirements. Yet when it comes to domestic cars I think that the domestic auto industry seems to have more freedom when it comes to manufacturing cars. I mean come on, we're allowed to manufacture Ford Excursions, Ford Expeditions and all these gas guzzler vehicles. And let's face it, imports are much more fuel efficient than domestics. Not to mention reliability. I believe imports are more reliable than domestics. I mean the Galants we drive may not be as reliable as the ones in Japan or Europe but this is due to the fact that Mitsubishi in the U.S. has been domesticated. Only Asia and Europe get to have the sweetest cars. I mean im not gonna stick with one side, but there's always ups and downs to everything. I mean what thing I can say about domestics is that in general they are pretty resistent when it comes to accidents. But this is one of the things imports give up as a result of a lighter and more efficent vehicle. But bottom line is U.S. spec vs J-Spec or World spec cannot be matched.

r-ezz.e
10-12-2002, 11:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stephen7983)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally, I think that the North American auto industry cannot be matched against other auto industries around the world in many different aspects. It's true that we do get Mitsubishi cars that are not comparable to the ones in Asia or Europe. I mean we're a great country and all, but I think that our auto industry reeks. But this is attributed by many different factors. Such things as strict regulations, environmental issues and so on and so forth. However, I still don't understand how our auto industry can import a high performance car like the Lancer Evo. from Japan and simply downgraded because of strict regulations and all. One of these being environmental issues. Americans can't afford to bring a J-spec Lancer evo. because supposedly it doesn't meet the requirements. Yet when it comes to domestic cars I think that the domestic auto industry seems to have more freedom when it comes to manufacturing cars. I mean come on, we're allowed to manufacture Ford Excursions, Ford Expeditions and all these gas guzzler vehicles. And let's face it, imports are much more fuel efficient than domestics. Not to mention reliability. I believe imports are more reliable than domestics. I mean the Galants we drive may not be as reliable as the ones in Japan or Europe but this is due to the fact that Mitsubishi in the U.S. has been domesticated. Only Asia and Europe get to have the sweetest cars. I mean im not gonna stick with one side, but there's always ups and downs to everything. I mean what thing I can say about domestics is that in general they are pretty resistent when it comes to accidents. But this is one of the things imports give up as a result of a lighter and more efficent vehicle. But bottom line is U.S. spec vs J-Spec or World spec cannot be matched.</div>

word. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif yo stephen, since college haas started for about a month now, i have to say that's a pretty good essay. Like one of my professor would say,"good points.....stuck w/the objective." https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Just playing kid. I seriously agree w/wut u wrote and i'm sure everyone else can even continue further where u ended.

stephen7983
10-13-2002, 11:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(r-ezz.e)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stephen7983)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally, I think that the North American auto industry cannot be matched against other auto industries around the world in many different aspects. It's true that we do get Mitsubishi cars that are not comparable to the ones in Asia or Europe. I mean we're a great country and all, but I think that our auto industry reeks. But this is attributed by many different factors. Such things as strict regulations, environmental issues and so on and so forth. However, I still don't understand how our auto industry can import a high performance car like the Lancer Evo. from Japan and simply downgraded because of strict regulations and all. One of these being environmental issues. Americans can't afford to bring a J-spec Lancer evo. because supposedly it doesn't meet the requirements. Yet when it comes to domestic cars I think that the domestic auto industry seems to have more freedom when it comes to manufacturing cars. I mean come on, we're allowed to manufacture Ford Excursions, Ford Expeditions and all these gas guzzler vehicles. And let's face it, imports are much more fuel efficient than domestics. Not to mention reliability. I believe imports are more reliable than domestics. I mean the Galants we drive may not be as reliable as the ones in Japan or Europe but this is due to the fact that Mitsubishi in the U.S. has been domesticated. Only Asia and Europe get to have the sweetest cars. I mean im not gonna stick with one side, but there's always ups and downs to everything. I mean what thing I can say about domestics is that in general they are pretty resistent when it comes to accidents. But this is one of the things imports give up as a result of a lighter and more efficent vehicle. But bottom line is U.S. spec vs J-Spec or World spec cannot be matched.</div>

word. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif yo stephen, since college haas started for about a month now, i have to say that's a pretty good essay. Like one of my professor would say,"good points.....stuck w/the objective." https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Just playing kid. I seriously agree w/wut u wrote and i'm sure everyone else can even continue further where u ended.</div>

I got to lazy to continue, I should have wrote at the end "to be continued.." lol..... I see you're from Jersey too, what part???

RedGalant2k1
10-13-2002, 01:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stephen7983)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally, I think that the North American auto industry cannot be matched against other auto industries around the world in many different aspects. It's true that we do get Mitsubishi cars that are not comparable to the ones in Asia or Europe. I mean we're a great country and all, but I think that our auto industry reeks. But this is attributed by many different factors. Such things as strict regulations, environmental issues and so on and so forth. However, I still don't understand how our auto industry can import a high performance car like the Lancer Evo. from Japan and simply downgraded because of strict regulations and all. One of these being environmental issues. Americans can't afford to bring a J-spec Lancer evo. because supposedly it doesn't meet the requirements. Yet when it comes to domestic cars I think that the domestic auto industry seems to have more freedom when it comes to manufacturing cars. I mean come on, we're allowed to manufacture Ford Excursions, Ford Expeditions and all these gas guzzler vehicles. And let's face it, imports are much more fuel efficient than domestics. Not to mention reliability. I believe imports are more reliable than domestics. I mean the Galants we drive may not be as reliable as the ones in Japan or Europe but this is due to the fact that Mitsubishi in the U.S. has been domesticated. Only Asia and Europe get to have the sweetest cars. I mean im not gonna stick with one side, but there's always ups and downs to everything. I mean what thing I can say about domestics is that in general they are pretty resistent when it comes to accidents. But this is one of the things imports give up as a result of a lighter and more efficent vehicle. But bottom line is U.S. spec vs J-Spec or World spec cannot be matched.</div>

Stricter emissions laws plus Gasoline rated on a different system. In Japan most performance cars use about 95-97 octane gasoline when you bring it over here you get 91-93 octane which automatically reduces power on turbo cars. Not to mention the addition of several catalytic converters to clean up exhaust gases. As for reliablity for USDM vs World Spec? Who knows i bet ours are just as reliable, i know mine is.

You also must think about Jobs, and where the money goes when people buy cars here. If people buy domestics the money stays in the USA (Except Chrysler now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif ). If someone purchased a Honda or Toyota the more of the money goes to the Japanese. In other words weakening our economy. Look at Japan or any other world market there rules are just as strict for American Imported Automobiles. When i was in France i saw a Jeep Cherokee, the headlights and taillights were changed, I'm sure the motor had be altered maybe even changed all together, who knows? But the bottom line is the Auto Industry in ANY country is one of its most powerful industries. Of course the government is going to let Ford produce large Full-size SUVs and sports cars. We may all want nice Japanese sports cars but at what cost to our country? Either way i'll still buy a EVO or Galant VR4 and have that thing imported here. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Its simple economics really, every country does it.

pinoyesv6
10-13-2002, 04:14 PM
don't forget. Mitsubishi of the world pretty much said "Screw U MMUSA" because of our emissions. so yea the USDM mitsubishis are really different from the world version. they pretty much just share name and body parts. other than that, u can give them a whole new car company.

as for changing the front end. well most of the countries have changed the front end of the Galant from its debut of the 8g back in 96 but, the changes in the design haev been minimal. also, remember the taiwanese galant, that went thru a dramatic front end change. looks more like a luxury car to me...

GalantT3
10-14-2002, 03:24 PM
Yeah I remember that Pinoy the Galant Jazz!!! That was such a hot car! Do you still have the commercial that was posted on the old boards with the guy in a tux and hes wearing sneakers! The Galant Jazz should have been the car the America gets in 2004. But oh well be happy with what you got I guess.

x2gtz
10-14-2002, 04:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

You also must think about Jobs, and where the money goes when people buy cars here. Â*If people buy domestics the money stays in the USA (Except Chrysler now Â*:( ). Â*If someone purchased a Honda or Toyota the more of the money goes to the Japanese. Â*In other words weakening our economy. Â*Look at Japan or any other world market there rules are just as strict for American Imported Automobiles. Â*When i was in France i saw a Jeep Cherokee, the headlights and taillights were changed, I'm sure the motor had be altered maybe even changed all together, who knows? Â*But the bottom line is the Auto Industry in ANY country is one of its most powerful industries. Â*Of course the government is going to let Ford produce large Full-size SUVs and sports cars. Â*We may all want nice Japanese sports cars but at what cost to our country? Â*Either way i'll still buy a EVO or Galant VR4 and have that thing imported here. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Its simple economics really, every country does it.</div>

Red what are you talking about, All companies have production facilities in the US, so when you are talking about jobs and all, it boils down to minimal differences. You do bring an interesting point about imports and how the foriegn exchange goes to other countries. Do a littler bit of research on how much of our "domestic" cars are made of foriegn parts and you will find a clue into our trade deficit.

So the question is why cant they build better cars here? they have the facilities? just add on right. There are cost benfit analysis that dictate much of that. We may be willing to buy the JDM spec galants but not everyone, in that case it makes little sense to build a factory which will produce cars which have a limited demand.

Now to the topic of profit and asset repatriation. The US govtr is no fool, their are some pretty tough laws on how much money can you take back to your home country is you are a foriegn company. These are lame propoganda spread by the "Buy American" hype.

Ever seen how many US corporations are based in Cayman Islands or other Tax havens just so they dont have to pay taxes here?

Okay, now I will get down from my soap box https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif