View Full Version : Revive My Old Galant

lonestar22
06-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Im well known around the 8G area since that is the car i drive but little does everyone kno i also have a silver G thats mine at Grandmas apartments. It is a PearlSilver '95 Galant S w/ the dark grey interior. It died on the highway in November and has been parked at her house since. The headlights are beginning to fade, its under covered parking but now its covered in dust. The 14" factory wheels are rusting. I recently went by there and went in it and there is liquid rust in my trunk floor that i wiped out. The battery is dead and whats keeping it from running is a distributor. I need to find that and also minor problems around the car. The paint is in perfect condition of i wiped it up well and all electrical functions are good exept the windows. (weatherstripping slowing it down on passenger side). Im making plans to tow this to my house and start tearing into it. The shocks in the back groan and probably needs some new bushings, tires are bald in the front. There are so many problems but when this car was running it was a champ. I hate to see this car turn out like the cars u see in the country, untouched for years, rusted to the bone, trees growing through them (ive actually seen that) Im starting the rebuild soon as the money gets there. Just introducing myself to the 7G section. What performance mods are available for the 7G. What is the engine code and what do i need to do to make it a performer. Thanx for your posts.

bronxbombr
06-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Ah, well lets see. the <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Search</span> is good but to answer your questions, the engine is a 4G64 2.4 liters 16 valves on a single cam, has 2 pain in the ass timing belts, comes with a fucked up harmonic balancer, and you might need to change your ball joints on the regular. But other than that ya should be good.

Never had any major problems with my car- (s) .

rfpa1
06-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Well - what do you mean by

It died on the highway in November

If the timming belt broke or jumped, then if you are going to revive this car you are going to need most likely a new engine. (Head work, rings, pistons, bearings,etc) you will spend some money on it. I have a 95es and I love the car, but after having done now a 2nd engine and a tranny, im calling it quits. The car is nice and I use it for commuting (165 miles a day) I had mine stop for 5 months in my garage and now i need brakes (rust got to them) and some other cosmetic work before I can take it out not counting the tires that now are flat in one side.

Well, check it out first, if the belts are broken, think hard about doing it because you will need a lot of work on the engine to be sure is ok, oh one more thing, if you keep it, have the tranny and all the other fluids changed.

Good luck

lonestar22
06-17-2005, 12:51 AM
before the distributor gave out the car went thru a period of the belts breaking over and over and over again which is probably the cause of a number of problems. but they are on and in working order now but when the car was my uncles it went thru at least over 5 belts in a short period. it will run it just needs a new distributor i was told from a shop