PDA

View Full Version : Help: Stench & Smoke coming from Timing Belt Cover

ChuloMxcn
06-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Ive got a 99GTZ and its been running great lately, even just passed inspection today. But ive been hearing a faint grumble sound coming from the engine bay (maybe a bearing or something) and was never able to locate it. After installing my S7 Gauges today, I called my Dad over to check it out and as we were listening to it, it turned into a whining noise and has stayed that way so far. I drove it around to see if it would stop, but then i noticed it starting to smoke. Dunno if its the timing belt, cuz timing seems fine, but it smells bad and the squeeling is horrible. The smoke is coming from the left side where the belts and timing belt cover is located. HELP

If in the Houston area, any recommendations on where to take it?

Faction
06-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Possibly the belt slipping and some of the plastic is coming off from the inside?

manybrews
06-13-2005, 08:14 PM
one of the belts is failing, probably due to a failing bearin in something.
could be the timing belt , but unlikely (how many miles you got on yours?)

more that likely, something else is failing, like an alternator or ac clutch/compressor.

have it checked as soon as possible.

ChuloMxcn
06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Yea, its sittin at home now and not goin anywhere tonight, but it has about 140,000 miles on it. Already changed the timing belts once since ive had it and i got it at 91000. I forgot what the milage was when i did change it though. Hopefully its nothing too bad. Imma try to take the cover off tomorrow and see what I can see, I hate having to guess which pulley it would be to replace a bearing though.

G-spot
06-13-2005, 11:25 PM
The safe bet would be the Dealer's, but since I'm your friend, I'd recomend going to either Twisted Performance on Tomball or Diamond Star Auto in Jersey Village. Since they have extensive knowledge on Mitsu motors and probably has one of the best prices avaliable, it's best to consult them before going to the Dealerships.

ChuloMxcn
06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone who replied. And G-Spot, good lookin out, but those places were too far from where I stay on the Southeast Side. Anyway, turns out it was the water pump that locked up and the burning was the belt rubbin up against it. Luckily the belt was in good condition or else it woulda snapped. Got the belts and water pump all replaced. Im happy now!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Dominicano
06-15-2005, 03:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChuloMxcn)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks everyone who replied. Â*And G-Spot, good lookin out, but those places were too far from where I stay on the Southeast Side. Â*Anyway, turns out it was the water pump that locked up and the burning was the belt rubbin up against it. Â*Luckily the belt was in good condition or else it woulda snapped. Â*Got the belts and water pump all replaced. Â*Im happy now!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif</div>'

So you changed your timing belt with out changing the waterpump? I thought it should always be done together as good practice

ChuloMxcn
06-15-2005, 04:40 PM
No, it was changed before all together, but for some reason, this one messed up really bad and locked up. When it was taken out, you could see some of the bearings missing.

G-spot
06-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Well, it's good that you fixed it up.