PDA

View Full Version : N/A Performance with RPW Cam and more..

MatrixRenagade
06-14-2005, 03:35 AM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif I've been looking into N/A upgrades for a LONG time now and so far I've compiled a list of components for my 4G64, and heeeere they are:

1 ) An RPW N/A Stage 2 Camshaft
2 ) Some RPW Stage 2 (matched to cam) valve springs
3 ) SOME sort of titanium/stainless valve spring Retainers (basically any I can find, LOL)
4 ) Walbro 255lph Fuel pump
5 ) Some Injectors, I really have no idea what injectors I'll need, so any suggestions would be in order here
6 ) Fuel Management System---OR---PiggyBack Engine Management System- I don't know which one I'm looking into getting just yet, cause I NEED something fairly easy to tune (If there IS such a thing) or maybe just the most user-friendly, cause I have a bad habbit with tinkering with things I have no CLUE about just to figure out how they work and such..
7 ) Fuel Regulator- If I really need one, I'll get one..
8 ) Intake Manifold- I don't know if anybody even PRODUCES higher-end Intake Mani's, I mean I've seen the group buys, and I've seen the custom-made (very NICE I might add), but none that have actually hit the market for us I4's... But if they get one out that would suit my application, I'll grab that too
9) *Edit* An Adjustable Cam Gear, most likely the RPW version because it is made for that cam and mates up to it perfectly.
10 ) As far as all the basics: plugs, wires, grounds, Intake, and Exhaust- They'll be loooong finished before I start collecting my N/A Performance pieces.

999,999 ) And for those of you wondering Why not go F/I-- Who's to say this isn't a step in that general direction?? Hehe, the way I see it, I'll most likely get these mods done and have fun with them, and then move onto the lower end of the block, build that up, and THEN I get my savings started for a decent turbo package!!! :shock:

So there you have it folks!!! Thats my constantly growint list of N/A DESIRES (LOL).. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif I really wanted to put it out so that others reading this might share some of their guidance and info that they might be storing somewhere in the back of their heads (hehehehe), and to help MYSELF aquire more info on where some of the flaws in my plans (or even holes in my plans) would be.. Also, if you think I'm missing a key element in there that can't be forgotten, let me know that too! :wink:

I take "constructive" critisism very well so feel free to break it down Barney-Style or whatever you like in your replies. Appreciate all who chip in their 2 cents!!!

Lates,
MatrixRenagade

MatrixRenagade
06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
I was also talking to some people I work with and they said that I should go with bigger valves, have them seated, and then go for the port/polish deal.

My problem with this is: I don't want my gas-milage dropping that low, to where I'm using up a whole tank on a drive that only takes me only 3/4 or 1/2 a tank to get to right now.. :?

How many of you have modded your cars and found that your gas-milage is outrageously low?? Throw some numbers (average MPG) out so that I know what to expect when I get there. UNLESS its below 17-18 MPG, cause thats when I'll begin to cry........... :cry: LOL...

MatrixRenagade

ChikagoGTZ
06-14-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MatrixRenagade)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was also talking to some people I work with and they said that I should go with bigger valves, have them seated, and then go for the port/polish deal.

My problem with this is: Â*I don't want my gas-milage dropping that low, to where I'm using up a whole tank on a drive that only takes me only 3/4 or 1/2 a tank to get to right now.. :?

How many of you have modded your cars and found that your gas-milage is outrageously low?? Â*Throw some numbers (average MPG) out so that I know what to expect when I get there. Â*UNLESS its below 17-18 MPG, cause thats when I'll begin to cry........... :cry: Â* Â* Â* LOL...

MatrixRenagade</div>

I've modded mine moderately, no internals but...Intake, Exhaust, grounding wires, Plugs, Wires, etc....I get 28 mpg on the highway in my 2000 V6 with close to 100,000 miles on it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

MatrixRenagade
06-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Thats not too bad concidering that it IS a V6. I think I'm getting about 34-36 MPG, but the last time I calculated that up was when I took vacation up in NY. I went 531 Miles on one tank. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif But, I don't know what I'll be getting in a few weeks cause I have a K&N Typhoon intake on now (its HUGE :shock: ), I'm getting the catback from Megan Racing sent here, and I should have the money to go and get the header and downpipe in a couple of weeks also. So, I might even find out by 4th of July weekend!! 8) I'm just wondering what it'll be like after internal mods.. :?:

MatrixRenagade

seth98esT
06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey man your from Norfolk? Im moving there July 3rd! We will have to get a meet together or something.

For the Walbro 255, you really dont need it. Go with a 190, its quieter(noticeably) and you wont need to run an AFPR.

As for the RPW stuff, good luck getting it, they take ages to ship things since they are in Aus. But NA isnt a bad way to go as long as its done right. Dukeplaya ran a 14.1s 1/4 NA. He had the RPW cam, cam gear, bigger valves, bigger fuel pump, headers, exhaust, and an SAFC. Might have had some more mods, but it was a pretty quick car before it got totalled.

MatrixRenagade
06-15-2005, 03:46 AM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Yeah, I'm not FROM Norfolk, but I've been here for almost a year and I'll be stationed here for a couple of years (Navy- I'm an avionics technician- Shore Based). But that would be badass to chill with you man! I could probably learn a few tricks on getting my G hooked up from ya. 8) July 3rd is pretty soon too. Do you know what area you are going to be in, like if it'll be Downtown area or maybe near the Hampton Roads area in Norfolk? Hit me back and maybe we could meet up July 6th or something. I'm going back up to NY to visit with my Fiance and her family for the weekend of the 4th sooo.... (I need to get me some BOOOOOOTAY!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ) Just hit me up when you get here, though!!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've read about the 255 and the 190, I just wasn't sure if I'd need it later for a possible turbo setup.. I think I'm going to take YOUR word for it though, since you DO have a nice turbo setup already! And going without a FPR I would just have a little extra money to spend on other, more important things anyway. Thanks for the input man. 8)

And don't forget to hit me up when you get here in Norfick (thats how they pronounce it here........I still don't see how they can get THAT out of NOR-FOLK though...LOL, oh well..)

Later,
MatrixRenagade

Krackin
06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
<---also stationed in Norfolk. I live in Hampton though.

MatrixRenagade
06-15-2005, 10:32 PM
That's great man, what command/ship are you attatched to?? I've been looking for fellow G-Forum Members that like in this part of VA! :mrgreen:

DAMN! Then it might have been YOUR G I saw driving around one day!! :shock:

I mean, I'm over at SP-29 and one day I'm driving to the dumpster to get rid of my trash out behind my building before work, and I see a car thats hooked up out of the corner of my eye driving past CNATU heading towards Gate 4, but it wasn't just any car it was a GALANT!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif And I'm like "Holy shit! Out of ALL the Galants I see just putt-putting around here, FINALLY a decent one that looks damn good!" So, I 've been wondering if I was ever going to meet up with the guy (or girl) who drove it and find out who does his body work.

Cause as it stands I already have a JDM Front Bumper, and VR-4 Grill that is sitting at my Fiance's house until I get her to FEDEX it to my workcenter.. I was just going to modify the crashbar with my dremel and do it all by myself and then take it to a paint shop and get them to spray it my original dark grey. BUT, if you've got the hook-up, maybe you could help a Fellow Shipmate/G-Man out.. :thumbsup: That is if you you FEEL like it..

Hey, Seth is going to be in Norfolk pretty soon, maybe we could all meet up and chill or have a BBQ or something. LOL, or maybe go to Greenies for a beer! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Let me know what you think Krackin!! 8)

MatrixRenagade

Lazarus
06-15-2005, 10:36 PM
you might wanna get ahold of 8GGalant he's in Va Beach but he is stationed in Norfolk. He can probably get your some NA parts. If not let me KNow I have a couple strings up there I can pull. plus I'll be up there in august

pinoyesv6
06-15-2005, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey man your from Norfolk? Â*Im moving there July 3rd! Â*We will have to get a meet together or something.</div>

definitely. im down for a meet. norfolk isn't far at all for me.

MatrixRenagade
06-15-2005, 11:03 PM
LOL, oh CRAP... :shock: I din't mean to start a meet when I started this thread, but that would deffinately be BAD AS HELL man! 8)

The "oh crap" part though, is about how many things I need to get a jump on before this all happens!! I mean, I'm rolling pretty stock right now, and I'm waiting on quite a few things coming in the mail like:

1) JDM bumper
2) VR-4 grill
3) cross-drilled/slotted rotors
4) Megan Racing catback

And I'm looking for some RIMS too!!! (Hehehehehehe, yeah, I'm STILL rolling around with my 15's and my Bridgestone Potanza's :oops: ) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

There's a few other things I meant to have ordered before mid-summer, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment...

But all-in-all I'm still stock with a K&N Typhoon intake on and a new headunit in the dash with some Xplode 6x9's in the rear... :cry:

AH, I'm going to see if I can pull this one off though!! Wish me luck!

OH!! And Lazarus, I'm gonna see if I can get ahold of 8GGalant as well man, cause if he can help me find what I need that would be just too cool. And ANY help you can get me would make my WHOLE YEAR man, and I wouldn't forget it!! :thumbsup:

Take it easy guys,
MatrixRenagade